Carry on weight checked?

Has anyone had their carry on weighed? I've had the size checked (they didn't think it would fit in the designated "cage" but it did!) but no airline has ever weighed it (even traveling internationally several times last year where there were supposedly weight restrictions).

We're going through Amsterdam and Barcelona.

Thanks!

Emom

It varies. Someone mentioned that Air France weighs it. That has never happened to me (Atlantic crossings, intra-Europe, Paris->Asia). S, obviously it depends on the mood of the gate crew, who won the Five Nations Rugby, phases of the moon or other unknown causes. Quatas has checked -- but not consistantly.

I've had it checked a few other times, but it has been rare.

Paul

It will depend on the airlines you are flying. Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and Air France will weigh your carry on and specify size!:(

I just flew Virgin Air and they didn't weigh the carry on! They have a ridiculous alowance so I went out and bought a smaller, lightweight carry-on tote and they didn't weigh it.

I was really angry as some people sitting near me had big carry-ons with them!

I wouldn't bring a 22'' carry-on with me , but anything smaller than that I would. Of course, with my luck they would stop me!

It varies. Someone mentioned that Air France weighs it. That has never happened to me (Atlantic crossings, intra-Europe, Paris->Asia). S, obviously it depends on the mood of the gate crew, who won the Five Nations Rugby, phases of the moon or other unknown causes. Quatas has checked -- but not consistantly.

I've had it checked a few other times, but it has been rare.

Paul

"The phases of the moon" : I Love it!!!! LOL!! You are 100% right! No point trying to divine their thought process!

It will depend on the airlines you are flying. Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and Air France will weigh your carry on and specify size!
ab0si has it right: Not only does it depend on the airline, but it also depends on a lot of other things, which can appear to be completely random.

It also pays to be on top of the restrictions for your airline for the day that you're flying. For example, BA no longer weighs cabin baggage, as there is no longer a formal weight limit. The only weight limit is that you personally must be able to lift it into the overhead bin. You do have to conform to the size limit, though. But the restrictions can change from time to time.

Also, as an aside: Be aware of restrictions that may be imposed by the airport that have nothing to do with the airline, for example the current one bag per person (= one bag) limit for bags through the security checkpoint at UK airports.

The other tactic, if you want to push the boundaries a bit, is to be prepared for the fact that it may get taken away from you and checked into the hold. If you pack accordingly, and you're prepared for that eventuality, you may well get lucky and get away with it. And if you don't, then you have lost nothing by trying.

British Airways is very fussy about carry-on weight and only allows one. That includes purse.
Hi, lloyd726, and welcome to CC!

Actually, BA's position is as above. No weight limits on carry-ons, other than that you must personally be able to lift it into the overhead bin yourself.

Also, you are allowed one standard size bag (exact size on the BA website) plus one laptop or briefcase.

The "one bag" restriction is not a BA restriction, but a UK airport restriction. It only applies to the security screening points at UK airports, ie to anyone departing from a UK airport or connecting via a UK airport.

I agree that I'll take my chances with the one I've managed to take on every other time and be willing to check it if necessary. My experience has been that despite dire threats about carry on weight, I haven't encountered it internationally in the past year and was simply reaching out to hear from other experienced travelers.

I flew 20 people on BA at various times between July '06 and April '07 and learned to check their restrictions the day before each flight-over the winter they were changing weekly! These were people traveling home after living in the US for up to 9 months and those baggage restrictions were fierce! Each one would leave things behind for the next person to carry and the last one ended up with one suitcase too many. (We shipped the contents but still have the suitcase.) Even then, none of them reported back that their carry on had been weighed.

We're flying NWA/KLM so I'm not expecting as many issues, except perhaps in Barcelona which will probably be treated as an intra-Europe flight since we have more than 12 hours in Amsterdam before our flight home.

Lufthansa did weigh our carry on - talk about panic, but it was OK.

We flew biz class .. . .

I am flying Lufthansa in a few weeks. How was your flight, connections, security, etc. What airports were you in. What were the baggage limitations (weight and number of bags) for checked and carry on.

I am flying Lufthansa in a few weeks. How was your flight, connections, security, etc. What airports were you in. What were the baggage limitations (weight and number of bags) for checked and carry on.

We connected through Frankfurt on outbound; and Munich towards back home. We flew biz class - and I think that allows you more luggage weight. The only time our carryon was weighed was outbound in SFO by Lufthansa employee - it wasn't checked elsewhere.

As for the connections - not a big fan of either airport. Ugh. Frankfurt was the worst - I was surprised to learn we needed to clear security again (same airline, international terminal - don't get it) with a really slllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww person staring at the passport, then at the passenger, then at the passport, etc.

It took us an hour to get through the security line, go through X-Ray again, etc. They even stamped our passports and I was barely in the country long enough to pee!

Then - just for fun, there was ANOTHER bonus passport control checkpoint before we finally reached our gate.

Unfortunately, noone mentioned when we were getting off the plane that we would need to go through security again - and noone in the Biz class lounge thought to mention. We almost missed our flight! [insert angry Lufthansa woman here yelling at us that we should manage our time better as she barked at us all the way as we boarded the plane]

The upside - we made the plane to Venice (and my husband didn't have to deal with tears from me!) and the flight attendant witnessed the crazy yelling rude woman and tried to overcompensate with kindness.

The gates are also deceiving in Frankfurt - you think you are close - but alas, 15 min of running through the airport was necessary! Seriously! We wised up for the Munich transfer and I hung out at the gate (yes, two passport controls + xray, etc. again! and they stamped my passport again!!) There wasn't any food or services on our side of security - my hubby wanted to have a German beer but after our last long line experience - we stayed put - happy to make our flight.

Ironically - of all the countries we visited (Italy, Vatican City, Croatia, Greece, Monaco, France, Spain) the only stamp in my passport is from Germany - where we only changed planes :( and where I would prefer to forget the experience.

Now that you are wiser for my mistakes - I trust your experience will be uneventful.

Coreopsis-now I'm worried!!! We're flying Air Canada into Munich and have less than 2 hrs. to make our connecting flight to Athens. Is this do-able? Also, on our return flight with Lufthansa,we have the same amount of time to connect in Frankfurt to Toronto? Can we make it,do you think? I'd hate to have to repeat what you went through:eek: I'm directionally-challenged at the best of times,so I'm going to be totally lost. Are there signs that tell you specifically where to go and what to do when you get there?? Thanks for your help, Shelly

As for the connections - not a big fan of either airport. Ugh. Frankfurt was the worst - I was surprised to learn we needed to clear security again (same airline, international terminal - don't get it) with a really slllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww person staring at the passport, then at the passenger, then at the passport, etc.

Unfortunately, noone mentioned when we were getting off the plane that we would need to go through security again - and noone in the Biz class lounge thought to mention.

If it helps, this is why:

When you arrived in Frankfurt, you had arrived from overseas. You generally have to be security cleared before you board another aircraft whenever arriving from a different country - this is standard practice everywhere. That is why nobody would have mentioned it - security clearance between flights is absolutely normal. If you hadn't undergone security already when you were in the lounge, it therefore followed that you would have to clear security before boarding your flight.

Lufthansa did weigh our carry on - talk about panic, but it was OK.

We flew biz class .. . .

Was this recently? I'm flying Bus Class from JFK thru Frankfurt into Venice next week and am concerned about my carry-on. Isn't there a 17 pound weight limit?

Did they measure your bag?

Hi, lloyd726, and welcome to CC!

Actually, BA's position is as above. No weight limits on carry-ons, other than that you must personally be able to lift it into the overhead bin yourself.

Also, you are allowed one standard size bag (exact size on the BA website) plus one laptop or briefcase.

The "one bag" restriction is not a BA restriction, but a UK airport restriction. It only applies to the security screening points at UK airports, ie to anyone departing from a UK airport or connecting via a UK airport.

Has BA changed their policy? Both times we've flown BA they have weighed and checked both the carry on and the suitcases. We had the most humiliating experience we've ever had at an airport with BA around this. We'd used the bathroom scale and thought we were ok, but one of our checked bags was about 2 pounds over while the other was quite a bit under. We had to do a superfast re-pack right there in the line with a BA attendent looking on with crossed arms and making disapproving noises the entire time. It was awful.

We are flying from Los Angeles to Paris and connecting to Rome on October 25. We are flying Air France Business Class for both flights. Has anyone had recent experience with Air France -- did they weigh your carry on? Did they do this internationally and within the European Union? Air France allows Business Class 3 carry ons -- 1 typical rolled case, 1 purse, and 1 other accessory. I am taking my wheeled case and wearing a tote purse that is large enough to put my daily purse in as well as other small items such as umbrella, etc. The tote case is small enough that it will definitely pass as a large purse. If you have had experience with Air France weighing your carry on, did they also weigh your "purse accessory?" Were you required to have both bags together come within the weight prescribed on their website, or did they just weigh the larger wheeled case?

Getting nervous . . . thanks for the help.

Shelley

Ya'll have be worried now. I am going on a cruise next May. I will be leaving Dallas on AA to London and then get on BA to Venice. I will have two checked bags and 1 carry on. Are you telling me they will take one of my suitcases away??? I can't go for 15 days on 1 suitcase. It would weigh over the limit. Please explain.

Brenda

They have changed their restrictions. When we last flew BA the hand baggage was limited to 12 pounds which was tough for us. I just checked their website and here are the notes for checked baggage with regard to connecting flights:

Connecting flights

You will receive the most generous allowance on connecting journeys with British Airways, where you have purchased one ticket your whole journey (a through ticket).

Where separate tickets have been purchased for a connection, the individual allowances will apply.

When checking in for a journey that involves BA and another carrier, the baggage policy of the first international carrier will apply. If BA is the first carrier, and the subsequent carrier's allowance is more generous, then the most generous allowance will apply.

Gypsyrose, if I am reading this correctly, AA's policy will apply to your checked luggage. BA's carry on limitations would still apply.

A.

Has BA changed their policy? Both times we've flown BA they have weighed and checked both the carry on and the suitcases. We had the most humiliating experience we've ever had at an airport with BA around this. We'd used the bathroom scale and thought we were ok, but one of our checked bags was about 2 pounds over while the other was quite a bit under. We had to do a superfast re-pack right there in the line with a BA attendent looking on with crossed arms and making disapproving noises the entire time.
The BA policy on cabin baggage has indeed changed. It used to be weight limited, but is no longer.

The checked baggage allowances have also changed for some routes, but the weight limit has not. For many years now, there has been an absolute maximum single bag limit of 32 kg (about 70 lbs). This is nothing directly to do with the baggage allowance, but is to prevent unnecessary injuries to baggage handlers. Also, it is not an approximate limit - it is a strict absolute upper limit. It applies to all airlines and flights to/from Heathrow and Gatwick - and I think all UK flights. It's also now a common absolute limit on other airlines around the world. So for many years now, if your bag is over 32 kg, you must repack it to get it under the weight limit or it will not be accepted.

I am going on a cruise next May. I will be leaving Dallas on AA to London and then get on BA to Venice. I will have two checked bags and 1 carry on. Are you telling me they will take one of my suitcases away???
If your travel is booked on one ticket, then the trans-Atlantic baggage allowance should apply to both flights. If you're flying economy class, that should be two bags per person, maximum 50 pounds per bag.

Have you checked which airport your Dallas-London flights operate to/from? The BA flights to Venice operate from Gatwick. You want to make sure that you're on the Gatwick flight to/from Dallas. One of AA's flights will move to Heathrow from the end of March, and transferring between the airports is an avoidable hassle.

charleysmom's advice about cabin baggage is good and important: There are limits imposed not only by BA, but also by the UK government. At the moment, you are limited to one piece (= one piece) of cabin baggage through the security checkpoint when originating or connecting at a UK airport. The size is also strictly limited. You must make sure that your cabin baggage meets the UK restrictions. However, there is every chance that things will have changed by May 2008, so check again a couple of weeks before you travel.

Was this recently? I'm flying Bus Class from JFK thru Frankfurt into Venice next week and am concerned about my carry-on. Isn't there a 17 pound weight limit?

Did they measure your bag?

It was in September of this year. They didn't tell me what weight limit was, so I guess we passed or were close enough they didn't care. They didn't measure - just weigh.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Archived