Carnival pricing vs NCL - why?

Ykgorbie

[quote name='LABecca']I looked into booking a NCL Hawaiian cruise. The pricing is great but the airfare! OUCH! We're going to wait to build up some more points on the AMEX.[/QUOTE]

I know, the air is what stopped us from booking the group cruise they're forming over on the NCL Boards for a 2009 Valentine's Cruise on the POAm....I'd rather spend the extra money on sea days and sail from CA
BUT I am racking up a lot of points on my NCL/MC and could offset air with getting $1000 off the cruise....
decisions, decisions....

Kurb, I haven't been to Hawaii yet, so it will be all new to me. Any tips??

[quote name='Kurbanfan']I know, but you would be surprised. I don't know where you would be flying from, but just keep checking all the time. The fares have been going up and down consistently here from LAX. Last week for the end of May they were $317.00 p/p round trip. The week before $650.00.:eek:[/QUOTE]
Wow that sounds awesome! I fly out of New Orleans, so of course there are no direct flights, but I can get a reasonable flight to LAX.

The least expensive route would have cost $750 per person and included 3 flights and 17 hours travel time. Ummm no thanks.

The least amount of travel time was 12 hours and was $1100 per person.

It looked like we were going to be better off just taking a 15 day cruise out of Los Angeles, instead of spending 17 hours flying I could spend my travel time on a cruiseship and spend the same amount of money.

Haven't booked anything yet. I will keep watching the flights. Thanks so much for the tip!

[quote name='firefly333']Several people have pointed out the falacy of this, that it simply isnt true that the ship will wait for you. They are more likely to wait, but not necessarily. People assume this about booking airfare thru the cruiseline that they wouldnt sail without you....it happens. Dont believe this unless you find it in writing (which you wouldnt).

I have booked thru the cruiselines my excursions but not because I think they will wait for me, I know better.[/quote]
[URL]http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Shore_Excursions_FAQs/shore_ex_faq_CarnivalOrOnOwn.aspx[/URL]

Do I have to book a shore excursion through Carnival or can I go off on my own?

You are not obligated to book shore excursions through Carnival in order to leave the ship. Public transportation is available at each port. We suggest you visit your local library, bookstore or a pertinent web site to determine where you would like to go.
Carnival does not offer any alternatives from the established shore excursion program. All shore excursions sold through Carnival are coordinated with reputable tour operators and include all the most popular sites of interest.
One of the many benefits of booking excursions through Carnival is a guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard. Carnival will not be aware of shore excursions that are booked independently. Also, keep in mind that some ports have visa requirements that may prevent you from venturing off on your own.

[quote name='dclark']This is one the oldest, meaningless cliches running on the board. If I get bad service and bad food, hey, it will make for a bad cruise! Back in 89, several members of my family, along with a third of the rest of passengers on another line came down with food poisoning. They all had a wretched time. You wanna tell them "A cruise is what you make of it?"
I like most people, are not pollyanna types that gleefully pay several thousand dollars on a cruise are content to merely be in a ship. We want good service, good food and good entertainment. CCL does well in all these categories, with the exception of food which can often be excellent as good or better than more expensive lines.
I have never cruised NCL and never will. My sister is trying them out this month and wanted to know why.Here's why-
1) Everyone I have personally talked t that has been on NCL (my parents, mother in law and two coworkers) said that NCL had middling service and horrible food.
2) I own stock in CCL and I appreciate the shareholder obc, as well as the feeling that I am contributing to the company.
3) I don't want to spend $3000 see if NCL really doesn't suck! My money and time are too precious.
4) Freestyle dining? Yeah right.NCL zealots talk as if only NCL has it. Were they to pay the extra money to sell on other lines, they'd see that Princess and HAL have it In fact, CCL and RCL have had it for a long time, only they call it a "supper club" where you have to pay for it. How is that any different from NCL where a lot of people say you have to get up early in the morning to make reservations for a $20-$30 meal otherwise you'll have wait in a long line for slwo service in the dining room where the food can be inedible? Princess has the same thing, except they also do "wild things" in the dining room like offer alaskan king crab legs, large shrimp cocktail or filet mignon whenever you want at the dining room, and lots of other things that I have yet to hear NCL serving in their dining rooms. Were we to cruise on NCL, my daughters would want to know why NCL doesn't have souffles everynight, or crab legs or real lobster tails.
5) My wife and daughters like to dress up every night, especially formal night. They'd feel out of place dressed up sitting across from trailor trash tom who is wearing his favorite pair of sweat pants with his Nascar themed t-shirt.
We have taken a break from CCL mainly because we are tired of the same ships, singing waiters and color games. But still, CCL is our standard, with excellent bedding, good food, entertainment, etc. CCL isn't just a good cruise for the money, it is great cruise. For the above stated reasons, we would view NCL as a step down. For those who like NCL or want to try them, more power to you. Have a good time.[/quote]

I love the way you attacked my statement, and then made my point. There are exceptions when bad things happen, however, excluding some huge issue like ship wide food poisoning, the ship sinking, etc, a cruise is on most any of the top lines will be a good experience and most people should have a good time. Thanks again for helping me to make my point.

[quote name='halos']I know, the air is what stopped us from booking the group cruise they're forming over on the NCL Boards for a 2009 Valentine's Cruise on the POAm....I'd rather spend the extra money on sea days and sail from CA
BUT I am racking up a lot of points on my NCL/MC and could offset air with getting $1000 off the cruise....
decisions, decisions....

Kurb, I haven't been to Hawaii yet, so it will be all new to me. Any tips??[/quote]

It all depends on what island you are on. Alot of people do not like Oahu but we love wakiki beach. Our fav. It has alot of night life, cheaper places to eat, the north shore (beautiful) on Oahu if you decide to go in Dec they have the surfing contests because the waves are sooo huge that time of year, the luau's. Pearl Harbor is a must see:( In Wakiki they have the international market place which is a huge open air market. Not to mention the beatiful golf courses if you golf.
In Maui we usually stay in a condo on kanapalli beach. Much more expensive. There they have the little town of Lahaina which is I think where the cruise ship tenders to. Lots of shopping there. It's a little surfer town. You can always take the road to Hana on Maui:eek: or go snorkeling off the little island of Molokai. Too much to list. Can you tell I loooove Hawaii:confused:

[quote name='Kurbanfan']It all depends on what island you are on. Alot of people do not like Oahu but we love wakiki beach. Our fav. It has alot of night life, cheaper places to eat, the north shore (beautiful) on Oahu if you decide to go in Dec they have the surfing contests because the waves are sooo huge that time of year, the luau's. Pearl Harbor is a must see:( In Wakiki they have the international market place which is a huge open air market. Not to mention the beatiful golf courses if you golf.
In Maui we usually stay in a condo on kanapalli beach. Much more expensive. There they have the little town of Lahaina which is I think where the cruise ship tenders to. Lots of shopping there. It's a little surfer town. You can always take the road to Hana on Maui:eek: or go snorkeling off the little island of Molokai. Too much to list. Can you tell I loooove Hawaii:confused:[/quote]

I spent a week on Waikiki beach before and after my cruise. That's the place to be! Can't wait to go back to Honolulu. The road to Hana is a must!

[quote name='LABecca']The least expensive route would have cost $750 per person and included 3 flights and [B]17 hours travel time.[/B] Ummm no thanks.

The least amount of travel time was [B]12 hours and was $1100 per person[/B].

[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: I agree. I would not spend 17 hours travel (with probably the majority in airports) either.
Only one good thing would come out of that.....you would gain 6 hours when you get to Hawaii:D But it would suck on the way home:o
Good luck!

[QUOTE]I'm not an idiot. I have read the shore excursion contract many times and yes it sounds bulletproof, but I assure you if something happens on a ship sponsored excursion you have a MUCH better chance of receiving compensation than if something happens on a non-ship excursion. Carnival put a lot of work into the ticket contract to discourage lawsuits, but I assure the contract's bark is worse than it's bite.[/QUOTE]

Again, good luck recovering. The contract is sufficient enough for Carnival to force you to bring a lawsuit to get around it.

Btw, do you have a cite to any decision that invalidates the disclaimer?

I don't consider having to bring a lawsuit to get around a liability disclaimer as much incentive to use a particular provider :rolleyes:

[quote name='firefly333']Several people have pointed out the falacy of this, that it simply isnt true that the ship will wait for you.[/quote]

Sorry, but a family member of mine who works on a cruise ship assured me that the ship will wait for you if you have booked a shore excursion through the cruise line UNLESS something major happens like you have an accident and you have to go to a hospital.

Regarding the pricing on comparable cruises, note that as of a few days ago, it looks like Carnivals "initial" prices are higher because port fees are included, rather than coming up as an additional fee at the end of booking. Makes it more difficult to compare. Those "per person" rates may end up being nearly identical if you walk all the way through the booking process.

[quote name='dclark']This is one the oldest, meaningless cliches running on the board. If I get bad service and bad food, hey, it will make for a bad cruise! Back in 89, several members of my family, along with a third of the rest of passengers on another line came down with food poisoning. They all had a wretched time. You wanna tell them "A cruise is what you make of it?"
I like most people, are not pollyanna types that gleefully pay several thousand dollars on a cruise are content to merely be in a ship. We want good service, good food and good entertainment. CCL does well in all these categories, with the exception of food which can often be excellent as good or better than more expensive lines.
I have never cruised NCL and never will. My sister is trying them out this month and wanted to know why.Here's why-
1) Everyone I have personally talked t that has been on NCL (my parents, mother in law and two coworkers) said that NCL had middling service and horrible food.
2) I own stock in CCL and I appreciate the shareholder obc, as well as the feeling that I am contributing to the company.
3) I don't want to spend $3000 see if NCL really doesn't suck! My money and time are too precious.
4) Freestyle dining? Yeah right.NCL zealots talk as if only NCL has it. Were they to pay the extra money to sell on other lines, they'd see that Princess and HAL have it In fact, CCL and RCL have had it for a long time, only they call it a "supper club" where you have to pay for it. How is that any different from NCL where a lot of people say you have to get up early in the morning to make reservations for a $20-$30 meal otherwise you'll have wait in a long line for slwo service in the dining room where the food can be inedible? Princess has the same thing, except they also do "wild things" in the dining room like offer alaskan king crab legs, large shrimp cocktail or filet mignon whenever you want at the dining room, and lots of other things that I have yet to hear NCL serving in their dining rooms. Were we to cruise on NCL, my daughters would want to know why NCL doesn't have souffles everynight, or crab legs or real lobster tails.
5) My wife and daughters like to dress up every night, especially formal night. They'd feel out of place dressed up sitting across from trailor trash tom who is wearing his favorite pair of sweat pants with his Nascar themed t-shirt.
We have taken a break from CCL mainly because we are tired of the same ships, singing waiters and color games. But still, CCL is our standard, with excellent bedding, good food, entertainment, etc. CCL isn't just a good cruise for the money, it is great cruise. For the above stated reasons, we would view NCL as a step down. [COLOR="Red"]For those who like NCL or want to try them, more power to you. Have a good time[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

I must say that after reading the above, when I do sail CCL next, I think I'd prefer being seated with the Nascar guy. I never read anything so angry JUST because someone likes or wants to try NCL...you sound like it's a personal attack on you if someone does.
It's funny because there are posters on other boards who react the same way about CCL, saying, "you like CCL, more power to you" type trash.

It seems to me that CCL fills a lot of ships, as does NCL. If you don't like a certain line, why on earth do you feel the need to be pissed off at people for having different ideas of what they like, than you? Enough people feel both lines are good enough to sail because all those ships are pretty much full. If you don't want to sail NCL....great, don't sail them..that's fine. But leave the freaking tirade someplace else. If you've never been on a ship/line I don't care who told you what...you can make YOUR decision NOT to sail based on what you hear, but when you come here spouting crap, all you're sharing is 3rd hand news....no one cares. Until you have an opinion based on your own experience, your opinion means squat, especially presented in that fashion..

[quote name='NCTribeFan']Regarding the pricing on comparable cruises, note that as of a few days ago, it looks like Carnivals "initial" prices are higher because port fees are included, rather than coming up as an additional fee at the end of booking. Makes it more difficult to compare. Those "per person" rates may end up being nearly identical if you walk all the way through the booking process.[/QUOTE]

I have always been quoted "apples to apples" when pricing different cruises and cruiselines. That included everything but government fees/taxes.

[quote name='MM42']That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time :D

I think I will post that reply to the NCL board :eek:[/QUOTE]

Make sure all the cheerleaders over there read this.:D

[quote name='Rowan555']We're cruising NCL in two months because it was cheaper than Carnival for a 7 day cruise (and b/c NCL is the only 7 day out of NOLA right now). I love Carnival, and my kids love Carnival, and we're all a bit apprehensive about this upcoming cruise. I would not have booked it if it were more expensive than a comparable Carnival cruise.[/quote]

If you go to the pay restaurants for dinner you should have a very comparable cruise to a CCL cruise.

Bill

[quote name='Cruise, J.D.']Again, good luck recovering. The contract is sufficient enough for Carnival to force you to bring a lawsuit to get around it.

Btw, do you have a cite to any decision that invalidates the disclaimer?

I don't consider having to bring a lawsuit to get around a liability disclaimer as much incentive to use a particular provider :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Yes, you would have to bring a lawsuit to dispute the contract, no question. But depending what happened on the excursion it may be worth it. Hubby works in insurance and works directly in litigation with his clients, so we are aware of what it would take to dispute the contract. If you notice the language in the Shore Excursion FAQ, Carnival is setting themselves up for litigation. They say that you are not required to use their shore excursions, but in the same paragraph they try to scare you out of trying other operators. Hmmmmm

I have never sued anyone in my life and really don't plan to, unless something really bad happens due to someone else's negligence.

[quote name='dclark']
[/quote]

How funny! I am right there with you on those points. Especially on the dining piece. My first thought when I heard about it was that they would dumb down the "free food" to make people want to book the specialty restaurants. Glad to see the other lines haven't taken that route...yet.

Referring back to the Wal-Mart/Macy's comparison. I won't go to Wal-mart. I can't stand the place. But, I love to cruise on Carnival.

I love Wal-Mart! Are you kidding? I buy ALL my normal home necessities (TP, PT, cleaning products, Iams dog food) at Wal-Mart.

I lived up in the mountains for several years with no Wal-Mart (hard to believe, isn't it?) and an hour from the nearest one. I was thrilled when they opened Wally World!

I go on Sunday mornings (when all the "good" people are at church) and just browse. I don't buy clothing there, but everything else? Can't beat the price. Why should I pay more money for the exact same product elsewhere?

Anyway, my post about comparison pricing cruises was due to the recent near-hysteria here when checking online prices. Nearly everyone jumped to the (erroneous) conclusion that Carnival's prices had jumped by a huge amount. I don't use a TA. Having initial per person prices include the same items would certainly make online comparisons easier! Now, I have to walk all the way through each cruise to see what the "real" cost will be.

2 completely different cruise lines.. i have now sailed on each 9 times. they both have theie plusses and their minuses. Just got off the Valor on 9/23-30 and quite frankly was a bit dissapointed. Just didn't seem to have the energy and fun that i usually enjoy on carnival.
To Rowan 555, you will love the ncl spirit.One of the most beautiful ships i have ever sailed on.Elegant and sleek throughout, great service and food and the shows were fantastic.
Carnival ships do have bigger cabins. they also have over the top bordering on Gaudy decor that on some ships is so busy it can drive you crazy after awhile.they also tend to be designed inward ,meaning there are not many places to see the ocean unless you are up on the pool deck.
Ncl ships tend to be oriented more out toward the ocean and from many places on the public decks you have a great view of the ocean and an outdoor promenade to walk in. they also tend to be very sleek,contemporary and elegant in theie decor.
Hands down the cabins are bigger on carnival ,but you know all you ever here people say is you're not in your cabin much.

Freestyle dining is great if you are with a bunch of fun people and so when i travel with a group it is almost always on ncl and when alone on carnival.
Carnival's spas tend to be be bigger and better and their gym equipment as well.
ncl tends to have bigger pools and better outdoor deck space.

I could go on and on but the point i am making is that they are both really good vacations for the price and i don't think you can go wrong on either of them . Concentrate on who has the itinarary and price you like the best and go fro there and ENJOY!!!

I also think ncl has the edge on the shows. this last Valor cruise had very dissapointing shows, and on my last Ncl one some of the were so good we went to both.

Next up a charity cruise for Aids interfaith Network on jan 7-12 on the
Fantasy out of New Orleans..Anyone looking for a fun cheap cruise and
knowing that going with us helps our charity email me at [EMAIL="bobar42@hotmail.com"]bobar42@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] ... Would love to have you along...:cool:

bobar
You seem to have enjoyed your NCL Spirit cruise...I was wondering if you could compare some of your other NCL cruises aboard different ships to your Spirit cruise???
I'll be sailing on the Spirit in 4 weeks and there have been all great reviews for this ship. It will be my first NCL experience. Can I expect more of the same on all NCL ships, or is the Spirit exceptional?

[quote name='Ykgorbie']We just went on our first cruise ever - on the Pride to the Mexican Riviera and [U]thoroughly[/U] enjoyed it. Since we've got the cruise addiction bug now, we've decided to plan another cruise for the Spring of 2009. Here's our dilemma: Although Carnival was magnificent, we had thought of trying another cruiseline and were looking at NCL. The price difference is as follows: 8 day Carribean on Carnival Spring 2009: Balcony $ 979.00
9 day Carribean on NCL in Spring of 2009: Balcony $ 1699.00
Just curious, have any of you been on both cruiselines and can anyone explain the pros and cons of trying NCL ? Much appreciated ![/quote]
[COLOR=darkgreen][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#006400]I have been on both lines. My next cruise (next week) will be my fifth on Carnival and as yet only one NCL cruise. That should be enough of an exp0laination. Rooms-Carnival has much larger staterooms in each category than any other cruiseline. Food-Carnival has much better food in the dining room and other food venues than NCL. Personnel- Carnival service personnel treat passengers much better than NCL service personnel do. Since there is no tipping on NCL ships that might be one reason. A person from a different cruise line told me that NCL does not treat it's employees well. That explains a lot. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#006400][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#006400]Overall, you get much better value from Carnival than you do from NCL. If you take an NCL cruise you would see what I mean. I have enjoyed all four Carnival cruises I've taken so far. I can't say the same of the one NCL cruise I've taken.[/COLOR]

I've done a lot of research on the cruise lines. Now, I haven't been on Carnival, however I'm going on my first Carnival one in 16 days. I'm quite excited!

Overall I don't think there is a better cruise line or not. They all specialize in service, you will have a phenomenal time. The difference is this. Carnival makes it so affordable for so many people that there is a more diverse crowd, age, etc. Just think of the VOLUME of people on the cruise. I hear there's usually tons of kids on Carnival. Norwegian is suppose to be a higher end cruise line so you'll get a much older crowd, you can tell just based on the price difference, who's going to go and who's not.

Although, if you want it to be quieter, etc. You can try one of Carnival's higher end cruises, like Princess. Yet, I see that the cruise you're looking at is a really nice one so I think you'll have a fabulous time!

I love outside deck space and that has been one of my complaints about the Fantasy Class ships.

I want decking with deck chairs and I don't want to have to sit by a pool to find that.

We had that on both the little Jubilee and (also little) Empress of the Seas.

I guess the newer ships want more "indoor" space so they can pack more people on them. I have my first balcony cabin coming up soon, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to afford those in the future, so having lots of deck space would be a plus.

Just my preference. I personally don't think I'd like anytime dining. I like traditional dining and, luckily, have been seated with pretty good tablemates in the past.

[quote name='Casino Player']
[COLOR=#006400]I have been on both lines. My next cruise (next week) will be my fifth on Carnival and as yet only one NCL cruise. That should be enough of an exp0laination. Rooms-Carnival has much larger staterooms in each category than any other cruiseline. Food-Carnival has much better food in the dining room and other food venues than NCL. Personnel- Carnival service personnel treat passengers much better than NCL service personnel do. Since there is no tipping on NCL ships that might be one reason. A person from a different cruise line told me that NCL does not treat it's employees well. That explains a lot. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#006400]Overall, you get much better value from Carnival than you do from NCL. If you take an NCL cruise you would see what I mean. I have enjoyed all four Carnival cruises I've taken so far. I can't say the same of the one NCL cruise I've taken.[/COLOR][/quote]

I don't agree. Food is much better on NLC. The specialties restaurants are incredible. On NCl Jewel, the service personnel was outstanding.

No tipping on NCL???? Where does that come from? You pay gratuities on NCL like any other cruise line.

[quote name='MM42']I don't agree. Food is much better on NLC. The specialties restaurants are incredible. On NCl Jewel, the service personnel was outstanding.

No tipping on NCL???? Where does that come from? You pay gratuities on NCL like any other cruise line.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]NCL has a no tipping policy. They charge you a service fee, it is not a tip. Where does that come from NCL of course. You could disagree all you want the fact still remains more people cruise on Carnival than on NCL or as you put it NLC.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='MM42']Or course they do, Carnival is cheaper![/quote]

Carnival is not always cheaper. When I was looking into taking my cruise aboard the Miracle, I also looked into the NCL Spirit. Both cruises were the same price. I chose the Miracle because she got much better reviews than the Spirit and I also wasn't sure I would like that anytime dining.

Archived