Carnival pricing vs NCL - why?

Ykgorbie

We just went on our first cruise ever - on the Pride to the Mexican Riviera and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since we've got the cruise addiction bug now, we've decided to plan another cruise for the Spring of 2009. Here's our dilemma: Although Carnival was magnificent, we had thought of trying another cruiseline and were looking at NCL. The price difference is as follows: 8 day Carribean on Carnival Spring 2009: Balcony $ 979.00

9 day Carribean on NCL in Spring of 2009: Balcony $ 1699.00

Just curious, have any of you been on both cruiselines and can anyone explain the pros and cons of trying NCL ? Much appreciated !

First, we find it best to break the pricing down on a per diem basis so you know how much the basic cruise fare is for each person on each day....don't forget to include the $10 per day tip. Also make sure you are dealing with the same cabin category...and that can be tough because they are not based on the same criteria buy each company...so just do your best guess! (For example the Cat 11 on Carnival Triumph was bigger than our mini suite on NCL Sun but the pricing was about the same.)

As far as the pro's and con's for each one...we found them comparable in most respects except for the food. Overall, the food on Carnival was better in terms of the dining rooms and buffet, which are include in the basic fare.

We would cruise both lines again...in fact we have booked 12 days on the Splendor a year from now....and will probably do a Mexican Riviera on NCL...depending on price....next spring.

Good luck with it.

My first choice is Carnival (especially if you can get the military discount!). Besides the quality of the food, I much prefer the assigned dinner time/table assignments, same waiter every night who knows your preferences after the first evening. We have met some great people in the dining room, and have gone on a couple of cruises with another couple we met at our assigned table on the Pride -- Valor last fall and on the Spirit next Feb.

From our experience, my opinion of NCL's Freestyle is we were free to wait (with the beeper they gave us to carry around like at many of the chain restaurants) until there was a table ready for us. The dining was the only difference -- just about everything else (shops, shows, etc.) the same.

Also have to consider if you plan to cruise on a regular basis, when you stick with the same cruiseline, you get past passenger party, discounts, VIP status after a certain number of cruises (on CCL, it's your tenth cruise), etc. If I had known then what I know now, I would have been two cruises closer to Platinum if we had booked CCL rather than NCL! Sometimes it all boils down to the best deal out there when and where you want to travel.

How can you compare the two of them? It's like comparing Wal-Mart (CCL) to Macy's (NCL).

Don't flame me! They asked for an opinion and I just gave mine. The only reason I chose CCL is because I travel solo and NCL charges 200% for the single supplement.

How can you compare the two of them? It's like comparing Wal-Mart (CCL) to Macy's (NCL).

Don't flame me! They asked for an opinion and I just gave mine. The only reason I chose CCL is because I travel solo and NCL charges 200% for the single supplement.

Be that as it may, some of us adore the Wal Mart line. ;)

OP:

The whole thing is, you have to look for deals. Sometimes you see a cruise and the price is just so much more than what you'd expect to pay...so just don't book it. I swore I'd never sail NCL because I like traditional dining, but my dh saw a deal on a repo that we couldn't pass up, so I'll be trying NCL next month. Whatever deal I find next, no matter which line, will be my cruise of choice ( if the itinerary is a good one, that is). If NCL's prices seem way too high right now, I'd skip it. All these mass market lines are about the same...don't let anyone tell you any differently. There are subtle differences between them, but not enough of a difference to warrant a huge gap in price. I paid a lot for a Celebrity cruise, thinking I'd get my money's worth because it's supposed to be a superior product. It wasn't superior, it was just different.

ALSO, the age of a ship will sometimes determine the price. Sailing on a newer ship will generally cost you more.

No matter what you choose, I hope you have fun!! :D

We have traveled both lines, and like them for different reasons.

Carnival- a little more lively, sometimes a rougher crowd. Set dining with formal nights.

NCL- I love freestyle dining (no schedule) but some don't. A little quieter.

Our next cruise is on the NCL Sun, purchased for price, nice and cheap, even cheaper than Carnival.

My DH and I tried NCL last year for a cruise to the Bahamas on the Norwegian Dawn for our 10th anniversary. It was a great trip, the ship was really nice, the food was pretty good, the service was great and we paid a pretty good price for a balcony cabin. We did enjoy the freestyle dining and i've heard so many people complain about having to wait in line on ncl for dining rooms. we never had that problem, probably because we are early eaters and usually got to the dining rooms when they opened. i liked the freedom of choosing between different restaurants for dinner. they do have what they call "specialty restaurants" where you pay a surcharge but we never tried them although heard a lot of good things about them. this ship also had a wonderful indoor pool and spa that we frequented quite often. the shows were pretty cheesy but they had a great comedy show called "Second City" which left us rolling. Not sure if they still have them on NCL. The cabin was a bit tight for us and the bathroom was pretty small and kind of tight. I hear the cabins on Carnival are much larger.:)

we are trying carnival in a few weeks for the very first time. a little apprehensive hearing people compare ncl and carnival with wal-mart and macys (i shop at both!!!!) when people are saying that carnival is like wal-mart, in what sense do you mean? is that just for the price or for the quality of food, or the ships or what? :eek:

we are trying carnival in a few weeks for the very first time. a little apprehensive hearing people compare ncl and carnival with wal-mart and macys (i shop at both!!!!) when people are saying that carnival is like wal-mart, in what sense do you mean? is that just for the price or for the quality of food, or the ships or what? :eek:

The quality of everything (furniture, food, amenities...). Less kids on NCL and the PAX are more ... "quiet".

I think the are refering to the quality of some of the passengers!!!!!

Using the Department store comparison, I think it would be closer to say that Carnival is more like Belk's and NCL is more like Macy's.

You can buy Polo, Tommy Bahama, and Nautica at both of them. They just merchandise them a little differently.

I think NCL's higher cost (sometimes NCL is cheaper) may have to do with the freestyle dining, it costs the cruiseline more than traditional dining.

I also believe Carnival has a really high quality product for the money (Carnival staterooms are way more spacious), making it more affordable for folks who would otherwise not have the opportunity to cruise. Sometimes these passengers don't act in the way that we expect cruisers to act. So I think this more than food, ameneties, and public spaces has more to do with the Walmart reputation.

My DH and I tried NCL last year for a cruise to the Bahamas on the Norwegian Dawn for our 10th anniversary. It was a great trip' date=' the ship was really nice, the food was pretty good, the service was great and we paid a pretty good price for a balcony cabin. We did enjoy the freestyle dining and i've heard so many people complain about having to wait in line on ncl for dining rooms. we never had that problem, probably because we are early eaters and usually got to the dining rooms when they opened. i liked the freedom of choosing between different restaurants for dinner. they do have what they call "specialty restaurants" where you pay a surcharge but we never tried them although heard a lot of good things about them. this ship also had a wonderful indoor pool and spa that we frequented quite often. the shows were pretty cheesy but they had a great comedy show called "Second City" which left us rolling. Not sure if they still have them on NCL. The cabin was a bit tight for us and the bathroom was pretty small and kind of tight. I hear the cabins on Carnival are much larger.:)

we are trying carnival in a few weeks for the very first time. a little apprehensive hearing people compare ncl and carnival with wal-mart and macys (i shop at both!!!!) when people are saying that carnival is like wal-mart, in what sense do you mean? is that just for the price or for the quality of food, or the ships or what? :eek:[/quote']

I wound not be apprehensive at all. We have been on Carnival several times and have always had a great time. The food has always been good, but was improved over prior experiences on the cruise we were on this summer. The ships are very well kept and very clean. We had great service, and our balcony cabin was wonderful. I get so tired of hearing the "walmart of cruise lines" type of comment. Most of the mass market lines are going to sell you a similar product and so you should go for the best price in most cases. There are different cruising styles, companies, and levels of luxury, however, I have found that Carnival does a very good job and should not be discounted the way some very snobby people tend to do. My family and I travel extensively, dine in very fine multi star establishments, and tend to enjoy the good life when we can. I really believe Carnival does a very good job, however, as with any trip, it is what you make of it. Go and have fun on your cruise and see for yourself great it can be. I have no doubt that you will come back with a positive review which I hope you will share with us.

My only advise, skip the ship provided shore excursions, no matter the cruise line, you can find the same excursions cheaper at the ports. Do your research on the internet before you leave and you should have some idea what you want to do. This will save you money. :D

I wound not be apprehensive at all. We have been on Carnival several times and have always had a great time. The food has always been good, but was improved over prior experiences on the cruise we were on this summer. The ships are very well kept and very clean. We had great service, and our balcony cabin was wonderful. I get so tired of hearing the "walmart of cruise lines" type of comment. Most of the mass market lines are going to sell you a similar product and so you should go for the best price in most cases. There are different cruising styles, companies, and levels of luxury, however, I have found that Carnival does a very good job and should not be discounted the way some very snobby people tend to do. My family and I travel extensively, dine in very fine multi star establishments, and tend to enjoy the good life when we can. I really believe Carnival does a very good job, however, as with any trip, it is what you make of it. Go and have fun on your cruise and see for yourself great it can be. I have no doubt that you will come back with a positive review which I hope you will share with us.

My only advise, skip the ship provided shore excursions, no matter the cruise line, you can find the same excursions cheaper at the ports. Do your research on the internet before you leave and you should have some idea what you want to do. This will save you money. :D

How can you compare? Judging by your signature, you've only cruised with Carnival... 3 times. My opion is honest. Yes, the Carnival ships are very clean but the ships ARE NOT as beautiful and richly decorated as the other cruise lines.

Thanks! This is all very good to hear. We are going with open minds and positive attitudes and intend to enjoy ourselves thoroughly, believe me! We have a bunch of friends who cruise on Carnival and have nothing but good things to say. I promise I will be sharing a very detailed review when we return. Thanks again.:)

I have never had anything but a good time on Carnival, and I have had never anything but a good time on NCL.

It is true that you might see a few more tatoo's on Carnival, but it can be a little livelier, especially at night. Go and have fun.

How can you compare? Judging by your signature, you've only cruised with Carnival... 3 times. My opion is honest. Yes, the Carnival ships are very clean but the ships ARE NOT as beautiful and richly decorated as the other cruise lines.

depends on your taste and ther ship. I was on the Celebrity Infinity and hated the decor. The 'art' was not to my taste and the ship was very boring as far as decor...on the other hand some of CCl's ships are very...we'll say 'ecclectic' :p but they suit the mood on the ship which is anything but boring. :D

And the food ratings on CCL are higher than NCL by a long shot. I've yet to try NCL so I can't compare but CCL food has been consistantly better than my food experience on Celebrity.

:eek: We really do have different tastes. :D

Anyway, we all like different cruise lines for different reasons.

I swear, there was a night on that ship when almost EVERTHING was seasoned with cinnamon, even my potato. No, this isn't my taste...to have everything on my plate taste like my dessert....

We've been on many ships on many lines. To me Norwegian is like the Dollar Store while Carnival is a JC Pennys.

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time :D

I think I will post that reply to the NCL board :eek:

"My only advise, skip the ship provided shore excursions, no matter the cruise line, you can find the same excursions cheaper at the ports. Do your research on the internet before you leave and you should have some idea what you want to do. This will save you money.

FYI many of us choose to purchase ship sponsored excursions not for the price but for the guarantee the ship will wait for us if something happens on the excursion and for liability purposes.

We're cruising NCL in two months because it was cheaper than Carnival for a 7 day cruise (and b/c NCL is the only 7 day out of NOLA right now). I love Carnival, and my kids love Carnival, and we're all a bit apprehensive about this upcoming cruise. I would not have booked it if it were more expensive than a comparable Carnival cruise.

My TA thought the NCL Dream was so bad she pretty much refused to book me. Like any cruiseline, there are better and worse ships within each choice.

A lot of folks prefer Carnival to NCL. Personally, I just have zero interest in NCL??? Id do Princess, Carnival or Royal Caribbean, NCL just isnt attractive to me.

You could find out more about each ship, rather than just price to help you if you really want NCL. Personally, I prefer traditional dining.

Archived