Need to clean my ring at home...

jswrpw83

My jeweller recommended holding the ring under hot running water and scrubbing the back of it with a toothbrush and a little bit of toothpaste.

Works wonders every time :D

I think the trick is to make sure you scrub the back of the ring & stones, and not just the top of the stones, so that you get all the grime and dead skin cells out of it.

Does anyone have any tricks to clean silver jewelry?? I have a sterling silver chain that needs to be cleaned.

Thanks

The best thing for silver is silver cleaner. Silver is sensitive to some chemicals and can discolor.

You can buy jewelry cleaner in any grocery store--works like a charm. Very inexpensive. Jewelry stores also sell the same thing. It has a little brush to get into crevices, and will really shine the stone! I carry it with me whenever I travel--lotions really "dull" a ring! I clean my ring almost every other day!

i use straight drano for my jewelry. let it soak overnight and it gets out all that grime that builds up under proungs. i only do this with real jewelry, never costume or silver. cz's are fine with it though. windex, toothpaste, dish soap all work well too.

i would NEVER boil my jewelry, a lot of jewelry has some solder points and those melt faster then the solid gold parts, if you start boiling them forget it for a while (like lots of new moms do with baby bottles) you can literally melt your jewelry into pieces!

ultrasonic cleaners are good too, but can loosen your gems. so use sparingly.

p.s. i'm a past jeweler for 17 years.

Simmer?

That would indicate that you boil the water. So do you pour boiling water over the ring?

put rings in the pot with the water and soap and let it simmer.. afterwards drain the water from the pot and let the rings cool off.. then scrub with a toothbrush

Do you have any oxyclean? I mix up about a 1/2 tsp in about 6oz of warm water. Let the rings soak, if my rings are really dirty I soak them a couple hrs or overnight and use an old soft toothbrush. My rings are always super sparkly

since I have been using oxy.. You can reuse the solution many times over...

Bev

Thank You Thank You, I tried this and it was great, did it to all my jewlery and sparkle, sparkle. Just had to tell you thanks for the tip.

Cori

Do you have any oxyclean? I mix up about a 1/2 tsp in about 6oz of warm water. Let the rings soak, if my rings are really dirty I soak them a couple hrs or overnight and use an old soft toothbrush. My rings are always super sparkly

since I have been using oxy.. You can reuse the solution many times over...

Bev

FunCruiser56,

I tried oxyclean...wow, my diamond ( and all the other gold rings) Sparkle as if I had been to the jewelers to have them cleaned. Thanks!

Archived