Need to clean my ring at home...

jswrpw83

Do you have any oxyclean? I mix up about a 1/2 tsp in about 6oz of warm water. Let the rings soak, if my rings are really dirty I soak them a couple hrs or overnight and use an old soft toothbrush. My rings are always super sparkly

since I have been using oxy.. You can reuse the solution many times over...

Bev

Oh my gosh! I just sponged off my needlepoint shoes with Oxyclean and then my daughter soaked her filthy flip flops in the stuff--all looks brand new. I'll put my rings in it, and I've got an old toothbrush.

You're super, Bev :D

Thanks!

Oh my gosh! I just sponged off my needlepoint shoes with Oxyclean and then my daughter soaked her filthy flip flops in the stuff--all looks brand new. I'll put my rings in it, and I've got an old toothbrush.

You're super, Bev :D

Thanks!

Always clean my sparkly stuff with gin!

in small bowl,soak jewells in small amount of gin for a couple of minutes

then scrub with old toothbrush,rinse and let dry.

I assume it's mandatory to do a taste test to make sure the gin is potent enough to do the job.:D :D :D

I use equal parts ammonia and hot water with a squirt of Dawn liquid. Soak, then scrub with a toothbrush or a small eyebrow brush... Works really well. Only for diamonds, though, and would not be ok for pearls. I googled homemade diamond cleanser once and came up with it that way....

I have also used plain, undiluted Windex.

You probably already know this, but just in case..never mix anything that contains ammonia with another product that contains chlorine because the two will produce a harmful gas....

Ha to the one about using gin....I can see people cracking open the mini-bars on the ships to get those rings sparkling!!!!

I've always used a combination of ammonia and dish soap :D . It definitely helps the sparkle.

I'm sure glad I read this thread yesterday! My Mom taught me years ago that good old ammonia/dish soap is the best.

I soaked it overnight and can't believe I haven't done this in a while, looks like a brand new ring!!

Thanks for the thread!

Romy:)

cup of water and some dish soap.. put jewellery in and let the water simmer for a few minutes.. after a few minutes, drain the water and use a toothbrush to get in the tight spots of the jewellery..

voila

;)

cup of water and some dish soap.. put jewellery in and let the water simmer for a few minutes.. after a few minutes, drain the water and use a toothbrush to get in the tight spots of the jewellery..

voila

;)

Simmer?

That would indicate that you boil the water. So do you pour boiling water over the ring?

Too simple. Gel toothpaste and a nail brush.

it like soap will build up..and film rather than sparkle..too abrasive for fine metals..Gin is just alcohol...ammonia for a good cleaner, as it has a soapy, non build up base..safe for stones of glassy nature. I got a battery sonic cleaner(.QVC, or HSN).and does a great job on my sterling, like new on a 40 yr old ring, as well as new stuff, CZ's and hard stones. cleaner made for jewelry..it's fab

My jewler told me if I couldn't make in to get my rings cleaned then I should use liquid dish soap or hand soap and the hottest water that I could stand. Then use a soft toothbrush that has been tossed to clean my ring. They sparkle everytime!!:)

A jeweler told me that the biggest build up on a diamond (on a ladies ring) is grease.

So, he said for the best home remedy, clean the diamond with liquid dish soap.

For an extra special cleaning, I use toothpaste/with a toothbrush. :D

it may work but i would say that it would be a waste of perfectly good gin..unless you pour yourself some, throw in some tonic and lime then put a LITTLE in a dish for your jewels! :D

Windex and a soft toothbrush works great on hard stones, such as diamonds. Do not use it on Emeralds, Pearls or Opals in particular. They are too soft and porous and will absorb it and can be damaged. I have also in the past used ammonia, warm water and a drop of dishwashing soap and let them soak. I currently have a Sharper Image Ultrasonic cleaner and just use windex or straight ammonia with water and dish soap in it. When I travel, I use a shampoo (without conditioner) and rinse them in hot water, which also helps get dried on gunk off. I find clarfying shampoos work the best since they don't leave any residue behind. Yes, I clean my jewelry regularly.

I use equal parts ammonia and hot water with a squirt of Dawn liquid. Soak' date=' then scrub with a toothbrush or a small eyebrow brush... Works really well. Only for diamonds, though, and would not be ok for pearls. I googled homemade diamond cleanser once and came up with it that way....

I have also used plain, undiluted Windex.

You probably already know this, but just in case..never mix anything that contains ammonia with another product that contains chlorine because the two will produce a harmful gas....

Ha to the one about using gin....I can see people cracking open the mini-bars on the ships to get those rings sparkling!!!![/quote']

Use Fine salt to clean pearls then rinse well

Archived