table assignment

jks9103

Does anyone know how they decide who to set you with? Do they use some method like grouping people of the similiar ages together? Or is it just random? Going on very first cruise in April 2008 and I'm just curious. Thanks!

When setting people in at large tables, from what I understand, they do try to sit people together based on demographics.... ages, hometown, etc. If you book close to the sailing, or move tables/dining times once on board, its the luck of the draw and you sit wherever there is space.

We asked for a private table but when we got our sea pass card and went looking for our table, we found out we didn't have a table assigned to us.

The M'D assigned us to a table of 10 for early seating. 3 nights we had another couple dine with us, all the other nights it was just the 3 of us.

There was suppose to be another nother couple with a 2 yr old, but they said he was unmanagable at the table and chose not to attend the dinning room.

So I do think that is 1 reason they ask for alot of personal information like race, age, kids, etc, to seat peeps together.

Our 1st cruise on RC, we asked for a table for 4. When we checked it was a table for 8, we asked if we could change and they told us to try it because they usually try to seat like people together. We have 2 teenage girls and thought that maybe the other family would have kids also, so we said we would go for it. The 4 other people were 2 couples from Germany that spoke very little (if any) English so I am not sure how they choose your tablemates. Made for very tough communication.:rolleyes:

Our last cruise we asked for a large table and we given a small table for 6. We are 3. We were put with another family that also had a 16 y/o boy. Worked out perfect for us. I'm sure there is some planning on RCI's part.

Enjoy

Denise

There hasn't been a whole lot that we've been able to pinpoint that they've used when seating us. We're in our 30's. When cruising with the dc, we take up a whole table anyway (6 top). When cruising as a couple, we've usually been seated with couples in their 50's, sometimes with older teen or early 20's children. They've been from all over the US and Canada. In spite of there never being any overt reason for the people we've been seated with, we've usually had things in common with at least 2 of the 3 other couples if at a table for 8, and have enjoyed all of our tablemates.

We've been seated with all ages, nationalities, singles, marrieds, you name it--we've been seated with them! That's why I prefer the larger tables--you're almost guaranteed someone with whom you have something in common (other than the love of cruising!!!!)! Plus, there will seldom be evening when you are left all alone at a large table, because someone else has other plans!

We truly enjoy having tablemates--it makes dinner a party, instead of just a meal!

So I do think that is 1 reason they ask for alot of personal information like race, age, kids, etc, to seat peeps together.

One thing I do know is that they do not ask you your race when booking a cruise.

Why would race fit into the picture anyway when booking a cruise?

On our Mariner cruise last month, the group we had at dinner would have looked horrible on paper:

Three single women in their 40's out looking for a good time. ;)

A married couple in their 50's.

And us, a male couple in our late 30's.

But we all had a blast!! We got along so well in fact, we ended up spending a fair amount of time together outside of dinner: shows, the parade, hanging out on deck etc.

So not sure how they group people together, but I was so happy with the table we had!

On my 8 cruises, they usually have seated me with other people close to my age.

The exceptions to this were times when 1) my tablemates never showed up and I ended up choosing to join the table next to mine (which had a couple from my area at it), 2) the time we switched to a different table after we boarded, and 3) the time when I ate with a group from cruise critic.

Generally I think they do try to match up people by certain demographic groups, but it isn't always possible. Oh, and some of my favorite tablemates were the ones that weren't anywhere close to my age!

The last 2 or 3 times we let RCI pick our tablemates, it has been both age and C&A status compatible. One cruise we were all in PR cabins and all Diamond or Diamond Plus. I think we had all booked happy hour shortly before the cruise, too.

Lately we've been linking a group (or groups) together from the roll calls, so we've picked our own tablemates.

Wrp,

Do you hear anything about having a Concierge Lounge on Rhapsody? We would be on the same sailing if there were one on there. Thanks.

I haven't heard anything about one being added (and I highly doubt it will happen before the Alaska season next year if it were in the plans). Don't let that stop you from joining us in Alaska though as we are going to have a great time no matter what!;) :p :D

Just came off the Explorer 5 night Bermuda 23Sept. We are Diamond members and requested a table for 4 for our party of 3. We received a table of 6, 1st time RCCL cruisers and Russian speaking. So much for demographic seating. :eek:

There used to be something on the website that you could request what type of table you wanted - large, small, etc. I don't know if it still exists. We have always been at a large table, but this last cruise on Mariner, we (family of 4) were placed at a 4-top. We immediately went to the head waiter and asked to be changed to a larger table, and he put us at a table for 10 right next to the Captain's table. It was wonderful - great people, and way more fun than just the 4 of us at the table! That's one of the things that we enjoy about cruising - meeting people at dinner. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But when it works, it's great!

On one cruise where it was just two of us, we found that everyone at our table was on the same deck, for what that's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailing Radiance/Alaska next summer with DS & DSH celebrating 25 yr anniversay & me & DH celebrating 35 yr anniversary. Debating asking for table for 4. Question is when/how do we request this? Seems like some have asked thru their TA (we booked on line), some speak to the MD day of boarding, but also remember (as a previous poster here does also)there was a thread a year or two ago that discussed that there is a website specifically for those type of requests that could be made on line months before cruise- I seem to remember website was directly linked to specifi cship perhaps? Any info would be appreciated:)

Does anyone know how they decide who to set you with? Do they use some method like grouping people of the similiar ages together? Or is it just random? Going on very first cruise in April 2008 and I'm just curious. Thanks!

I have been on a number of cruises -- with Holland America and most recently with Royal Caribbean -- and it seemed we were always with passengers approximately the same age. Before we married, my wife had been on a cruise on a Princess ship, and she has indicated to me the people had her table were also the same age. I have a feeling they do their best to seat you according to age.:)

I think it's almost totally random, or just by the number in your party. Our one cruise when we sailed without a group, we were assigned to an 8 top. One couple never showed...or maybe there was never one assigned. One couple was probably mid to late 50's; I was in my mid 30's, my husband was mid 40's. And the last two were guys celeberating the 18th birthday of one, and the other was 19 or 20...back when they let that age book alone. Very diverse group! But we had a lot of fun...

Have to ask,,,what is an "8 top"? And how/where do you make a table request?? on board?? or prior on line? Thanks

It's a table that will seat 8 people. You make a table request when you book your cruise.

Archived