Embarkation Day

jks9103

Going on very first cruise in April 2008 on Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean route. I know I'll get information on when to arrive at the ship but thought I'd ask. The ship is scheduled to depart at 10:00pm from San Juan. When do most passangers start arriving to the ship for that departure time? Do they serve dinner that evening? We haven't decided whether to fly into San Juan that day or the day before. If we fly in that day, the flight we will take is scheduled to land around 4:00pm.

You get lunch and dinner on that day. It is actually the first day of your cruise, even though you will spend most of it in port. We arrived at about 11:30 the morning of our cruise, after spending the night in San Juan. There were lots of other passengers waiting to board at that time also.

Kathy

Do your self a favor and fly in the day or night before departure. So many things can delay air traffic. Also, sometimes flight just simply get cancelled. And, as has been said, this is the first day of your cruise. Get on the ship before lunchtime. Oh, and you will get documents telling you not to arrive before a certain time. Ignore that. As others have said, you can board between 11-12 noon.

The Serenade usually starts boarding around 11:30am. They will serve dinner like normal that first evening, except second seating will be pushed back a little as muster drill will be between first and second seating.

If at all possible fly in a day early. San Juan is a great city to explore and getting there a day early gives you a full extra day on the ship. Also, with a 4pm arrival that doesn't give you much leeway for delays or problems with your flights.

You don't say where you are flying from ... this can make a big difference, especially if you have to change planes and connection time is an hour or two ..

Think of the following:

• what if the flight is delayed and you miss your connection .... you miss the start of your cruise.

• Are there any earlier flights you can take, if so take it and increase your connection time; or if it is a direct flight, and it gets cancelled, you will still have a later flight to fall back on.

I would prefer to get there the day before, so that I have peace of mind. It is also a good excuse to visit San Juan on your own. I am sure that you could keep your bags at the hotel, while you explore the city.

Archived