How Can I Get A Guaranteed Cabin?

petesweet

We booked two cruises while on our recent Explorer trip, but I was not offered a guaranteed cabin. I didn't know about the upgrade possibility until I got home and started reading about it on these boards. I called RCCL and asked to be changed to a guaranteed cabin (actually, we have two cabins, but we don't require that they be together), and I was told there were none available. (One cruise is a year from now - October 3 - and the other even later - January 9, 2009.)

Seems to me there would be more guaranteed cabins than assigned ones - or I am faulty in my thinking here? I wouldn't mind being in place to get an upgrade. We always get the cheapest interior cabin when we cruise.

If I switch to a TA at this point (I plan to later on), will he/she be able to get me a guaranteed cabin? If that is the case, should I switch sooner than later?

Thanks for your invaluable help, as always!

We booked two cruises while on our recent Explorer trip, but I was not offered a guaranteed cabin. I didn't know about the upgrade possibility until I got home and started reading about it on these boards. I called RCCL and asked to be changed to a guaranteed cabin (actually, we have two cabins, but we don't require that they be together), and I was told there were none available. (One cruise is a year from now - October 3 - and the other even later - January 9, 2009.)

Seems to me there would be more guaranteed cabins than assigned ones - or I am faulty in my thinking here? I wouldn't mind being in place to get an upgrade. We always get the cheapest interior cabin when we cruise.

If I switch to a TA at this point (I plan to later on), will he/she be able to get me a guaranteed cabin? If that is the case, should I switch sooner than later?

Thanks for your invaluable help, as always!

Pete, there are not guarantee cabins and categories on all cruises. They only offer this when they "feel like" it - if a category is not selling as well as they would like.

It is not at all unusual for there to be NO guarantee cabins for a particular cruise.

Thanks for these responses. Actually, I am in the cheapest category (Q) on deck 2 and no doubt couldn't get a worse cabin. I'm happy wherever I am, though. I didn't realize that there were not guaranteed cabins on every cruise.

Pete, the Q cabin is the one most likely to have a gurantee at some point, because it is the lowest price, and usually the least amount of cabins. Closer to your sail date you may see a guarantee. If you want to then gamble on an upgrade, convert to the guarantee and see what happens! Good luck!

Thanks for these responses. Actually, I am in the cheapest category (Q) on deck 2 and no doubt couldn't get a worse cabin. I'm happy wherever I am, though. I didn't realize that there were not guaranteed cabins on every cruise.

Keep watching. If all the Qs are sold out, then that's when they are most likely to offer a inside guarantee and you can switch then by calling RCI.

Just pretend to book and check to see how many Qs are left...they change it when they run out for this category from when Iv been watching.

Pete, the Q cabin is the one most likely to have a gurantee at some point, because it is the lowest price, and usually the least amount of cabins. Closer to your sail date you may see a guarantee. If you want to then gamble on an upgrade, convert to the guarantee and see what happens! Good luck!
I agree. Just keep watching prices. In the future, you may even find an outside for the price you are paying now. This is where a good TA comes in handy if you don't have the time to check a couple times a day. Good Luck!!!

Archived