gastronomy

vistaman

Vistaman, you have some very interesting comments. However, they highlight the problems with a few driving the menus of the many.

For example, I had a client on my last cruise that was, by accident, given a menu in her suite with Lobster, Lobster, Lobster. When it was not available she was VERY upset.

Another example: Sweetbreads. The thought of plating pancreas or other internal organs is repulsive to many people...so even putting it - or other internal organs - on a menu can be offensive to some.

A third: Fresh Lobster: How is that going to be done? Tanks with hundreds of lobsters (American, Spiny, etc.?) is not practical.

A fourth: Turbot. This is a horrifically over-fished species. Frankly I am troubled it is on a menu at all. In Marseille's fish market last month I saw all of 3...that's it.

Now, taking just those examples, the triplets (and soon to be big sister) need to be provisioned; mostly from the US for costs, availability, etc. Having 3 or 4 separate menus (times 21 days so there are no repeats for back-to-back guests) creates a logistical nightmare and a huge additional expense....which ultimately would be passed on to the guests.

Hopefully all will see that it just ain't that easy...and, besides, some good stuff is on the way. Charlie Palmer is not a "has been", but rather possibly his present menu "has been" used for just a little bit too long.

I was on that fish market as well last month - i had to refrain buying those fresh items after i bought 2 items...

I would not presume there is a "huge" royalty. I would, however, not shoot the chef because his menus haven't been updated as quickly as some/many would have liked. Let's see what he comes up with...and then shoot him if necessary.:D

just feeling very sorry some very talented chefs ( like willy, michael, jochen and pascal) must follow recipes of a chef made by the media

Giving 'choice' on a menu does not mean condoning. it just means what it says i.e. 'choice'.

I fully appreciate all the comments made previously, BUT:

Sometimes life and food is so good that we start to complain about the 'good life'. seabourn has an excellent choice of umteen types of food experiences.

In addition, the staff and chefs always hope that cruisers will challenge them with requests. Hence the opportunity to sometimes go shopping with the chef.

I have made many requests from Peking Duck to raw staek tartar.

On Seabourn, as we all know too well, you can have anything, anytime, anywhere. Just politely ask the staff or chef and give them some notice to prepare.

I think Seabourn is still one of the best kitchens on sea or on land. I have paid $ 100's for a lot less quality or service in some places.

We have been sailing on Seabourn for quite a few years and have already booked another 3 cruise ahead (Incl. the new ship) and are looking forward to the food experience on board.

I am a well traveled Dutchman who now lives in England and love the food and service.

I only ever had 1 major reason to complain about the food in all my time on Seabourn and it was dealt with to my satisfaction.

So please enjoy the cruises and challenge the chefs to make you something different. Remember, if you ate for 2 or 3 weeks, every day in 'Famous Chef's Restaurants' (I have done so) you will not enjoy it but you will not be able to ask for 'anything you like' whenever and where ever.

ENJOY

Giving 'choice' on a menu does not mean condoning. it just means what it says i.e. 'choice'.

I fully appreciate all the comments made previously, BUT:

Sometimes life and food is so good that we start to complain about the 'good life'. seabourn has an excellent choice of umteen types of food experiences.

In addition, the staff and chefs always hope that cruisers will challenge them with requests. Hence the opportunity to sometimes go shopping with the chef.

I have made many requests from Peking Duck to raw staek tartar.

On Seabourn, as we all know too well, you can have anything, anytime, anywhere. Just politely ask the staff or chef and give them some notice to prepare.

I think Seabourn is still one of the best kitchens on sea or on land. I have paid $ 100's for a lot less quality or service in some places.

We have been sailing on Seabourn for quite a few years and have already booked another 3 cruise ahead (Incl. the new ship) and are looking forward to the food experience on board.

I am a well traveled Dutchman who now lives in England and love the food and service.

I only ever had 1 major reason to complain about the food in all my time on Seabourn and it was dealt with to my satisfaction.

So please enjoy the cruises and challenge the chefs to make you something different. Remember, if you ate for 2 or 3 weeks, every day in 'Famous Chef's Restaurants' (I have done so) you will not enjoy it but you will not be able to ask for 'anything you like' whenever and where ever.

ENJOY

i do agree in full especially on the legend everybody is wonderful

In my posts concerning the Food & Wine group I had on the Legend earlier this month I noted Chef Willy had an opportunity to "do his thing" and this was the menu (pared with the appropriate wines):

- Pallimades tartar in a potato "sandwich" (a fish obtained on the quay in Marseilles)

- Baby Potato with Crème Fresh and Caviar

- Foie Gras with Caramelized Apple

- Duck Consommé with Puff Pastry Shell (my personal favorite!)

- Veal Osso Bucco

- Our chef's "Soup & Sandwich" (a special brioche with a secret filling all dipped into a chocolate soup).

In addition, Chef Willy had made fresh anchovies and dove into his secret stash of Spanish sausages...and hunted around the market in Barcelona for some very unusual and delicious cheeses and Palamos for some awesome hams...for our wine/food paring tasting.

Yes, creativity does exist...it just cannot exist for 200 people every night.

As for Le Bernardin, I think it is wildly expensive and not very impressive. Paying well over $300 for dinner for two (assuming a modest wine and no extras) is no bargain...nor better than Charley's place. IMO, that is.

I bet it's a lot easier to get a reservation at Aureole than any of dozens of other NYC restaurants. And no one even lists it in the top few any longer. I used to eat quite frequently at Palmer's restaurant in Healdsburg, Ca. and found it adequate at best. Still, I believe the reason Seabourn uses Charlie Palmer's name is to market its dining experience to new passengers. Those of us who know what the chefs aboard can accomplish do not need "name" chefs to entice us.

Who is Charlie Palmer? His name certainly wasn't a selling point to us.Actually never heard of him. Doubt many Aussies would have, and we were almost half the guests on my first cruise. Are Europeans familiar with him? Bet Ronald McDonald is far better known! How many "repeat" menus do you think we will see in 85 days? :D

I agree - who is Charlie Palmer? We had never heard of him before we came across the name on Seabourn!

As I'm sure you know, you can also eat extremely well (better than on Seabourn!) both in London and outside for a lot less!!

Especially at Shelagh's house!! And if Larry does the cooking much better quality than poor old Charlie whatsit.

OK folks here are the details that I can release.

Charlie Palmer has created over 100 new menu items to be substituted into the existing menus. That means over 100 menu items will be replaced...hopefully they will be the ones you are so cheesed about (pun intended).

This will be happening shortly, but a definite date and what those items are cannot be revealed at this time.

Seabourn will announce the details...but I am sure what the menu items are going to be seen on board (not on this board) first.

BTW, of Charlie Palmer's various restaurants, I know that Aureole has 1 Michelin star. (In all of NYC there are only 8 higher "starred" restaurants...and not all are consistently on the list as Aureole is.)

I, for one, am looking forward to the menu offerings on our upcoming maiden voyage on Seabourn on 11/10. Since we haven't sailed before, we won't notice any of the "tiredness" that is being complained about! Then again, I liked most of the menu items I tried on the various Regent cruises we have been on.

I don't think there are any restaurants with Michelin stars in Houston.:)

Wow, I'd love to have one of Larry's mushroom omelets. And i agree that one can dine well in London for less then $300, especially if Shelagh and Larry choose the restaurant.

I also agree with Eric that what we are all basically looking for are new menus with different choices. Charlie Palmer is a marketing device just like Jacques Pepin is for Oceania. The difference is the larger lines, imo, need a celebrity chef to give them prestige while Seabourn's food stands on its own. But enough about Palmer, we are not going to change anything by this discussion.

I don't want to take sides regarding whether the relationship with Charlie Palmer is good or bad for Seabourn. However, denigrating him as a chef really is unfair. The restaurant which he started (at age 28) in New York, Aureole has one Michelin star and gets a 27 score for food in Zagat (only seven restaurants are higher in NYC). He has also received a James Beard best chef in NY award. Quite simply, he is well respected as a chef. To say that he was "made" by the media is perhaps equally true of every "celebrity chef". Also, equally true, is that almost every "celebrity chef" became such because he or she was a fine chef. I can't speak to every chef on Seabourn but my one experience was that the chef was quite capable, but would never be able to hold a candle to most celebrity chefs in terms of creativity and cooking ability.

Archived