What is your opinion of the Summit?

2serendip

I see many references on this site to cruiseships other than the Summit. Many people seem to love the Constellation and the Millenium. Are there any big Summit fans out there? Is there a reason why we don't find very many references to it?

We loved the Summit, we did a 14night from LA to Hawaii & back to LA and it was the best cruise we have ever been on. The Captain is very young was only 38 or 39 that was last year, he made himself available to everyone on board. All the crew seemed to like him which made everyone very happy. It was great, I think everyone mentions the Millenium or Constellation as they do Europe & the Summit doesn't, but you will have a fabulous time.

From reading the sticky at the top, about problems on some ships, the reason may be that the Constellation does not suffer from the mechanical problems that the Summit and Infinity seem to have. I sailed the Summit years ago and it was a beautiful ship.

The OP mentioned that Millenium gets a lot of posts, and that ship has similar mechanical issues. I don't think it's related.

OP, there have been many periods when Summit got just as many posts as the other X vessels. I have no idea why people are talking about it less at this time. I will tell you that all of the M-Class ships are virtually identical in layout and amenities. Differences would be decor (very subjective) and staff (ever fluctuating). I would venture that you are every bit as likely to love Summit as any of the other ships.

We are sailing on the Summit on Jan.5/08 (Panama Canal) and are looking forward to it.

Sometimes one reads reviews from different people about a cruise...one person loved it and the other hated it..yet they were on the same cruise..

Go with a positive attitude and plan to have a good time and you will..

Michael

We loved our 14day to Hawaii on Summit (just returned on 10/12); it was our second time on board. The Normandie is wonderful, the food was excellent in the dining room and at the spa cafe. The service on this ship is fantastic, we've never had a negative experience anywhere on board.

The only thing I don't like about Summit is the lack of seating in the Cova (for non-smoking) and the string quartet seems stuck in corner when they play. :( We just arrived early to find a good table.

Enjoy your cruise

I see many references on this site to cruiseships other than the Summit. Many people seem to love the Constellation and the Millenium. Are there any big Summit fans out there? Is there a reason why we don't find very many references to it?

We sailed on the Summit in January 2005 and it was fabulous! The Normandie resturant was a memorable experience, I highly recommend it. The aft bar is the best place to be whenever you sail away from a port. We loved the Summit and would definately sail her again.

We loved Summit so much we've sailed her 3 times and are scheduled to sail her again in March. The crew was overall fantastic, friendly and so helpful. The ship, although a little older, was in terrific shape and if they have replaced the bedding by now, it should be even better.

Have no fears about Summit. Ditto to the Normandie, this is our favorite "specialty" restaurant.

Does anyone know who the current CD is? Or the Captain?

(not that it's going to make us change ships, just curious)

I've been on the Millenium, Constellation and Summit and would sail any of them in a heartbeat. Minor differences but overall they are identical ships. My favourites by the way.

It's too bad about the propulsion system problems. Doesn't happen too often but it must suck to be on board when it does. It hasn't prevented me from booking an M-Class ship however.

Only thing I don't like about the Constellation and Summit (perhaps the Millenium has the same problem now) is they changed my favourite bar into the "Bar at the edge of the Earth" and IMHO ruined it. One of the best places to grab a drink and view the land passing by. I've heard they are (or perhaps already have) converting them back to the regular layout... hope so.

We were also on board Summit for the Hawaii cruise and would rate it as one of our best ever.

It was the first time that I could not write anything on the cruise evaluation form about improvements needed. (it was our 5th sailing on Summit).

There are some signs of wear but as always, the voyage was too short.

To C to C

We are going on the Summit on the Nov 9th Hawaiian cruise. 2nd time on her. (Panama Canal Nov 26/06)

Can you tell me if they have turned the Bar at the End of the Earth back to its orignal state?

Also I see you are from Ontario. We are from Peterborough formerly Toronto and Montreal

Ontario Cruiser:)

To C to C

Can you tell me if they have turned the Bar at the End of the Earth back to its orignal state?

Also I see you are from Ontario. We are from Peterborough formerly Toronto and Montreal

Ontario Cruiser:)

No the Bar "over" the Edge ;) needs a major makeover and some new comfortable chairs nearest the windows.

The dance floor is great but the seats nearest the windows could be improved for canal viewing.

We live near the southern edge, 50 miles from Detroit.

Enjoy your cruise but be prepared for a little rough water along the California coast..

To C2C.. We are taking the Summit Jan.5/08 (Panamam Canal cruise) from La. .. I read your comment about the waters ..how rough do you think it will be doing down the coast.

Michael

Be prepared for a bumpy ride.

When I first started cruising I always took a "Gravol' (our Canadian motion defender) right after life boat drill on the first day. Now the waves no longer bother me and I just enjoy the ride. The roll affects everyone differently but just be prepared if you even think you might suffer. You will sleep very well the first day and sleep through the show :o . As you leave the cooler waters behind the sea should be calm until after the canal.

To C2C.. We are taking the Summit Jan.5/08 (Panamam Canal cruise) from La. .. I read your comment about the waters ..how rough do you think it will be doing down the coast.

Michael

The culprit (I was told) in this stretch of ocean is the Japan Current that flows north-to-south along the coast. From experience doing it in both directions, the ride tends to be far more bumpy going northbound than southbound. I wouldn't stress over it if you are going southbound.

Hi hugsthecat...Michael

We did the Mexican Riviera cruise out of "San Diego" last year. Our stateroom was midship...port side on the Vista deck on the "Mercury" and we had no problems. Didn't feel any rock & roll motion!!:D

For our upcoming Panama Canal cruise...we leave out of LA...so not sure how bumpy it will be between LA and San Diego? (not far...so probably nothing to worry about)

The first day and last day of our MR cruise were a little chilly though... but it was "great" weather for the rest of the cruise between!!

Pat :)

The culprit (I was told) in this stretch of ocean is the Japan Current that flows north-to-south along the coast. From experience doing it in both directions, the ride tends to be far more bumpy going northbound than southbound. I wouldn't stress over it if you are going southbound.

Hi,

Statistically, you're spot on !! Generally speaking, that's why Spring repo cruises, northbound to the Alaska market homeports , are notoriously ''active'' ( either rolling and/or rocking....and at times good pitching as well). On the other hand, the september fall repo cruises are a strong bet to be calm as a bath tub.

That being said, we sailed Vanc-SanDiego on Oosterdam on 2nd Oct....and the first 2 nights were in strong swells ( very little waves though) and she rolled quite noticeably.....further south, smooth as silk.

The last night before SanDiego, Norbound from the Mexican Riviera ,is historically bumpy, pretty well anytime.

But.....much prefer a rolling ship than staying home!!

Cheers

;)

The culprit (I was told) in this stretch of ocean is the Japan Current that flows north-to-south along the coast.

The culprit is not the Japan (Kuroshio=black stream) current which is initially warm but the cold California current an extension of the same system as it moves towards the Equator. These names change as part of a large oceanic circulatory system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Current

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/world/A0825982.html

No matter what the name, the currents may affect the ride depending on the season. Be prepared but enjoy.

Hi,

We have sailed the Summit 4 times, and no matter which other ship we sail on it is always our opinion that a Summit cruise is the best.

Not to say that all trips are good but there is just something that gives Summit and edge.

We are leaving friday for our 6th Summit cruise and 2nd Hawaii trip, this time we are on the starboard side so that we will see whatever we missed on our April, 2006 cruise. You will find that all the M class ships are very much the same with a few exceptions. We were on the maiden voyage and have found that she has held up very well to the number of happy travelers that have enjoyed her.:)

Fran & BobN

Does anyone know who the current CD is? Or the Captain?

(not that it's going to make us change ships, just curious)

Captain: Panagiotis Skylogiannis

Cruise Director: Allan King

We loved our recent Hawaii cruise on the Summit.

Would liked to have had more time in Kona

Arno took the prize for having the most number of cruises.

I don't know if there is anyone else out there who can beat him.:)

Archived