how does tipping work on Carnival

nugrammy

Sorry this will be my first time sailing.. So what is a Sail and Sign account and how do we add the tip to that? Do we need to tell them to add it to that?

Sign and Sail Account is your onboard account. Every passenger has one. Instead of paying cash on the ship, you sign for anything you purchase and it is charged to this account. This would include things like beverages (non-alcoholic and alcoholic) soda stickers, bingo, excursions, shops, etc. When you checkin, you will either give a credit card or cash to cover the account.

Yes, the $10 per day per person is on every Carnival ship, it's the only charge on your sail & sign that is 'automatic'. You can always tip more if you find a waiter or steward you really like. You can also 'pre-pay' the tips at the time of booking so you will be paying them before your cruise and they won't be on your sail & sign account, some people just like to get them out of the way, but if there are problems, you can't adjust them down if you have a problem during the cruise.

So I think I understand now... I was also extremely confused about the tipping procedure. I was asked when booking online if I would like to include tips ($160 for 2 people, 8 night cruise). I checked "no" because I had no idea what this was for, who it would cover, or if it was even enough for all of those workers on an 8 night cruise. I'm usually a pretty good tipper so I thought I would just prefer to tip while on the ship. So now I'm finding out that I am going to automatically be charged the $160 anyway when I get on board (put on this said and sign card)??? They should really tell you that you are going to pay this amount anyway when you check "NO". Or maybe i just missed it!

Now I wish I would have done that if I would have known they were going to put it on my card anyway.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I think I understand now... I was also extremely confused about the tipping procedure. I was asked when booking online if I would like to include tips ($160 for 2 people, 8 night cruise). I checked "no" because I had no idea what this was for, who it would cover, or if it was even enough for all of those workers on an 8 night cruise. I'm usually a pretty good tipper so I thought I would just prefer to tip while on the ship. So now I'm finding out that I am going to automatically be charged the $160 anyway when I get on board (put on this said and sign card)??? They should really tell you that you are going to pay this amount anyway when you check "NO". Or maybe i just missed it!

Now I wish I would have done that if I would have known they were going to put it on my card anyway.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You still can if you want to prepay it, if you booked through Carnival just give them a call! I prepay everything I can! Have a great cruise.

• 2 months later...

I am still confused :o

Tipping is something I am not used to so I always feel really awkward.

So mostly tipping is taken care of by the pre-paid aspect of it which is divided up into different categories?

On our last cruise our cabin steward was so kind to my children (he had a son the same age as my babe back at home in the Phillipines) and did so much to ensure we were looked after, I had noooooo idea what to give him, so we gave him $70 for a 4 day cruise. I feel that was an okay amount...but I really have no idea. :confused:

Next cruise I want to be better prepared to tip whoever deserves it a fair amount for the service they provide.

So, for room service, what would be reasonable?

How about your cabin steward?

Given that 15% is already added to drinks etc, is that sufficient?

My currency's lowest note denomination is $5, so I am assuming that would have to be a minimum tip as it would seem kind of crappy of me to hand over coins?

My apologies for the million and two questions, we just don't tend to tip as a culture (minimum working wage requirements need to be met by employers) so I feel really clueless about it all.

If your tips are "prepaid" than anything over and above--or nothing over and above--is fine.

Feel free to add extra for anyone who gives above and beyond service, you can add it on the bottom of the check for the drinks or at guest services for room stewards and waiters. THe only people you need to tip in cash are room service waiters. And if you're on a cruise based out of Australia, I wouldn't worry about tipping in coins. I'm assuming that your system is like Canada's with one and two dollar coins? The waiters can easily convert them to bills onboard so they don't ahve to worry about clanky as they go down the hallways. ;) If you are sailing elsewhere, convert your money to US dollars or Euros.

The other people you would customarily need to tip are spa and salon technicians (15-20%), shore excursion guides and drivers (your discretion--we've given as little as $1 each and as much as $20 each depending on how much they added to our experience and how long the excursion was), porters at airports and ports ($2-3 per bag), cab drivers (10-15% of the fare), and any bartender or server at a shore based restaurant (15-20% of the bill, never less than $1).

Hope that helps!

Thanks Ducklite, that helped A LOT! :)

Yes, we have $1 and $2 coins like Canada. A coin is not as impressive as a note, but glad it is not a big deal to hand coins over.

great, feeling less angst-filled about tipping etiquette now:D

I am still confused :o

Tipping is something I am not used to so I always feel really awkward.

So mostly tipping is taken care of by the pre-paid aspect of it which is divided up into different categories?

On our last cruise our cabin steward was so kind to my children (he had a son the same age as my babe back at home in the Phillipines) and did so much to ensure we were looked after, I had noooooo idea what to give him, so we gave him $70 for a 4 day cruise. I feel that was an okay amount...but I really have no idea. :confused:

Next cruise I want to be better prepared to tip whoever deserves it a fair amount for the service they provide.

So, for room service, what would be reasonable?

How about your cabin steward?

Given that 15% is already added to drinks etc, is that sufficient?

My currency's lowest note denomination is $5, so I am assuming that would have to be a minimum tip as it would seem kind of crappy of me to hand over coins?

My apologies for the million and two questions, we just don't tend to tip as a culture (minimum working wage requirements need to be met by employers) so I feel really clueless about it all.

If you leave on the $10 per person per day autotip, that takes care of the cabin steward and the wait staff. If you feel that someone has provided an extra service, you can give more, but don't have to.

Beverages, 15% is added to all beverage orders. Normally this is enough.

Room service $1 or $2 per meal.

I would get some US $1 bills for tipping.

Carnival actually went up to 11.50 a day per person for tips.

if you booked before the change then you are okay at the previous rate/

Actually it is only if you prepaid your tips that you are at the lower amount and they only gave one day's notice for that one.

Everyone as of now it paying the higher amount unless they did the above.

• 1 month later...

That makes total sense. Thank you. Now I would like to prepay my tips. My cruise is paid in full. Should I just call them and make a payment over the phone? Or do most people just let them charge your sign and sail at the end?

That makes total sense. Thank you. Now I would like to prepay my tips. My cruise is paid in full. Should I just call them and make a payment over the phone? Or do most people just let them charge your sign and sail at the end?

Do whatever makes you comfortable. If you want to pre-pay so you don't have a big bill at the end then do so. Just call Carnival and they will take care of it for you

Archived