Probably a stupid question , but............

If booking throught the cruise line, they will leave from the port. They will tell you how much time is needed. If there are places or things we really want to do, we do schedule more than one excursion.

We used the line for booking our excursions the first time. For your first cruise, that is what I would recommend. Now that we have a good feel on how it all works, I book most of our excursions on our own.

I would agree - for the first time around. And, for the most part, you'll only have time for one tour. It is hard to pick. Guess you have to have at least one "beach day" and then go from there on what you like to do ~ snorkel / history tour / or shop 'til you drop!:D

Doing more than one excursion might be a bit much. We usually do one thing per port and are exhaused when we get back to the ship. I can't imagine doing 2 things--it wouldn't feel like a "vacation."

But if you have lots of energy and there are a couple of things that you want to try, you should do it! Be sure to rest up on the sea days!

quite often the shore excursions I have been on thru the cruiselines run longer than expected so be sure not to book any other excursion to close to the end time of your first one, although, I can't imagine doing 2 in one day as they can be exhausting but fun.

I booked the cruise on the spur of the moment we were going to spend 11 days on the gulf coast until i realised the oh and myself would run out of conversation after the first hour lol . I think i struck lucky booking the western carribean cruise , 4 days ashore out of a 7 day cruise , now i would be happy snorkling every day , but oh floats like a house brick !

I booked the cruise on the spur of the moment we were going to spend 11 days on the gulf coast until i realised the oh and myself would run out of conversation after the first hour lol . I think i struck lucky booking the western carribean cruise , 4 days ashore out of a 7 day cruise , now i would be happy snorkling every day , but oh floats like a house brick !

I thought I knew all the abbreviations. What is "oh"?

If you've narrowed it down to a short list of excursions you're considering, you could always post either here or in the individual port of call forums for feedback on what people thought of the ones you're considering.

We can't decide for you, but we can give you some of our experiences and impressions of the excursions that sound good to you.

I have done two excursions a couple of times. In the future I would only do two under the following circumstances:

*One of the excursions is a very short one.

*I am dying to do two particular excursions that are both unique to that port.

*The ship is at port for 12+ hours.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have done two excursions a couple of times. In the future I would only do two under the following circumstances:

*One of the excursions is a very short one.

*I am dying to do two particular excursions that are both unique to that port.

*The ship is at port for 12+ hours.

Enjoy your cruise.

Exactly - the only time we ever did two tours in a single day has in St. Petersburg.

Our first cruise out we booked two excursions. The first one was late getting back so we missed the second. Our last cruise there was a lot I wanted to see, so again I booked two excursions for two days of our cruise. We ended up cutting each of the second excursions short so we could eat and enjoy the sites of the port.

It does get to be taxing because sometimes excursions do not leave on time and then you are nervous the whole excursion if you will be back in time for the next. So give it some thougt. I probably in the future will only book one excusion per port. All our excursions have been through the ship.

You said you were cruising for the first time...people do book more than one excursion per port on some occasions, but not usually. My advice to you is don't try and do it all on one trip...you'll end up doing so much and rushing around to get it all in, you'll forget to have fun. One of the nicest things about a cruise is relaxing. If you end up loving cruising as most of us on this board do...you'll be back and that second excursion will be something to look forward to.

PS...that was not a stupid question.

Thank you for all your advice , I have booked them all now , .........its very difficult to choose isnt it?

I have booked as follows

1) Labadee Snorkel Safari

2)Ocho Rios, Jamaica Chukka 4 x 4 Safari Adventure & Dunn's River Falls

3)George Town, Grand Cayman Cayman Jeep® Wrangler Adventure & Beach Snorkel

4)Cozumel, Mexico Dune Buggy & Beach Snorkel Combo

Hmmm , seems to be a recurring theme here , oh well , at least we will appreciate our 2 days cruising

( might be a bit 'saddle sore' at the end of that ! )

Thank you for all your advice , I have booked them all now , .........its very difficult to choose isnt it?

I have booked as follows

2)Ocho Rios, Jamaica Chukka 4 x 4 Safari Adventure & Dunn's River Falls

)

You will LOVE Dunn's River Falls!! My 16yo daughter and I did that back in July. I tell you what-when you finish climbing, you TRULY feel, AND know, that you have accomplished something!! Make sure and wear water shoes, the rocks are slippery in places, and be sure and bring a water camera, but make sure it has a strap on it, you will need both of your hands for most of the climb!! You will get wet on this excursion!!

We are cruising for the first time , Mariner of the seas , looking at booking shore excursions ............can you / do you book more then one excursion per port , if so how does it work?

thanks

No, its not a stupid question. When my wife and I decided to take a cruise to Alaska last month on the Radiance, months before we went over the different excursions offered at the different ports-of-call. Not only did we choose cruises we felt would be the most interesting for us, but we also kept tabs on the times offered vs. the itinerary of the ship and how long we would be in a given port. There were times when we booked and took 2 excursions at a given port.

Also, listen to the cruises people enjoy the most as they may say in this forum; they may spark your interest, but the final decision is yours.:rolleyes:

Doing more than one excursion might be a bit much. We usually do one thing per port and are exhaused when we get back to the ship. I can't imagine doing 2 things--it wouldn't feel like a "vacation."

But if you have lots of energy and there are a couple of things that you want to try, you should do it! Be sure to rest up on the sea days!

Last month, my wife and I cruised to Alaska on the Radiance. In Juneau, we chose two excursions: one was viewing glaciers by helicopter and landing and walking on one (morning), and the other was viewing the Mendenhal Glacier followed by Whale Watching (afternoon). Had we chose only one, we would have regretted not taking the other one as well, and it would have taken away from our vacation.:)

Archived