Canada/New England - Eurodam or Maasdam

bigwally

Going to need help making up my mind here, I think.

I like that Eurodam will be all new.

I don't mind spending an overnight on-board in Quebec

I like the size (number of pax) of Maasdam better

I don't mind the notion of seeing Montreal

I think I like the slightly longer cruise better

Suggestions, comments?

Montreal is a beautiful city ... both old and new sections. The Notre Dame Cathedral is worth seeing. Head atop the hill to see St. Joe's Conservatory. Visit the Olympic stadium. Enjoy the charm of this French-Canadian city.

If you're set on the larger ship, then I suggest a visit to Montreal for a day or two prior to heading to Quebec City.

Do what we do every summer on Maasdam and that is the back-to-back. We board in Boston, sail seven days to Montreal, stay aboard and sail back to Boston. Priceless!!! That way you get a longer cruise. ;)

Although the larger ship's hull would ride better in rough seas, the St Laurence River is sure to be quite calm and there is more space per passenger aboard the smaller ship, therefore I'd choose Maasdam too.

Do what we do every summer on Maasdam and that is the back-to-back. We board in Boston, sail seven days to Montreal, stay aboard and sail back to Boston. Priceless!!! That way you get a longer cruise. ;)

Is the itinerary the same in both directions? Also do you know why HAL is doing away with the Boston 7 day roundtrip?

Is the itinerary the same in both directions? Also do you know why HAL is doing away with the Boston 7 day roundtrip?

Yes, Jade. It repeats in reverse order. We've done that cruise a number of times and never tire of it. Always something fun to do.

Maasdam is doing a Boston to Boston cruise on August 9, 2008.

It's different than the ones we have done in the past.

Boston

Portland, Maine

Saint John, New Brunswick

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Sydney, Nova Scotia

At sea

Bar Harbor, Maine

Boston

In the past when we did the Boston to Boston, it included either Martha's Vineyard or Newport. Eliminating that, and substituting Sydney is no improvement IMO To go to both Saint John and Sydney in the same cruise isn't great IMO One or the other is fine, but not both in seven days. I'm so glad we did the Newport itinerary b-to-b in June. Probably was our last chance to do so.

(It was a brief stop and we all wanted longer. A tender port (and everyone wants to be on last tender which means leaving late) and a long ride to Portland. I'm guessing they dropped it because of the need for speed to get to Portland......that need for speeds burns lots of fuel.)

In the past when we did the Boston to Boston, it included either Martha's Vineyard or Newport. Eliminating that, and substituting Sydney is no improvement IMO To go to both Saint John and Sydney in the same cruise isn't great IMO One or the other is fine, but not both in seven days. I'm so glad we did the Newport itinerary b-to-b in June. Probably was our last chance to do so....

Have been to both Saint John and Sydney on a land tour, and thought more time in Sydney would have been good. Have also been to both Martha's Vineyard and Newport on separate driving trips, back in the day, and enjoyed both. You usually have excellent reasons for your opinions so I'm just curious about your thoughts on this.

This cruise is on my someday soon list - actually one my DH might be willing to take too.

I can't say I have any excellent reasons but thanks for your nice words.

We've been to both Sydney and Saint John a number of times and honestly, while the people are delightful and eager to provide a wonderful time, they aren't favorite spots for us. There is some nice sightseeing but not much that has thrilled us. The excursions available just aren't geared particularly to our tastes.

Other folks love it.

We loved Newport this summer. We hadn't been in a number of years and found it a wonderful port. It also helped we had picture perfect weather both days we were there. :) Viewing the mansions is a treat. Just walking the shops and general area near the tender dock was very pleasant. What shops we entered were all fresh and new and clean. Higher quality tourist things than we see in some other ports. The only downside was we had to be back to the tenders at about 1:00. Very early. Would have been nice to have more time.

Are you sailing for the ship or the ports? If the ship is more important, Eurodam hands down. I prefer the newer ships and liked the Noordam over the Oosterdam because the N was "finished" in terms of newer amenities.

I'm sailing round trip to Quebec and back next year (not HAL) and don't feel that I'm missing anything by not going to Montreal. Although I was there back in the 1970s and I'm sure it's changed somewhat :)

If you will be flying to or from the ship, air travel to many cities is far easier from Montreal than from Quebec. If you are doing a roundtrip from New York or Boston or wherever, air travel Montreal vs. Quebec wouldn't be relevant.

We love Montreal and think it a great city. So much to see and do. We always greatly enjoy our 'turnaround day' spent ashore in Montreal.

Thanks sail7seas - I think. Your Newport comments made me nostalgic for the times we spent at the Inn at Castle Hill - almost like a cruise without leaving the shore. Of course we also toured mansions, shops, and on one trip, viewed the America's Cup contenders. Found myself wondering if DH and I could squeeze in a visit (long days drive from here) before my 12/2 cruise.

As usual, your enthusiasm is contagious. ;)

Thanks sail7seas - I think. Your Newport comments made me nostalgic for the times we spent at the Inn at Castle Hill - almost like a cruise without leaving the shore. Of course we also toured mansions, shops, and on one trip, viewed the America's Cup contenders. Found myself wondering if DH and I could squeeze in a visit (long days drive from here) before my 12/2 cruise.

As usual, your enthusiasm is contagious. ;)

Maybe you might find the Newport Mansions decorated for the holidays by then? What a pretty sight that has to be!

We are signed for the Sept 1 and Sept 11 cruises on Eurodam to achieve a NYC to NYC roundtrip, with no flying, 20 nights. I see your post, Wally, on our roll call thread. Do hope you decide to go with us on Eurodam. We like the idea of the new ship and because we live in the New York area, we like the idea of not having to fly. Of course, we get to go to each port twice, but that is a good way to get to know an area, although we have traveled up to New England and the Maritimes before.

Archived