Alaska ?

tayl

Now that seabourn will soon have a lovely new ship. Do you think one of the triplets may go to Alaska? I've just booked a trip there with holland america for this spring. Due to the size of seabourn,one could really experience alaska up close and personal.

I'm still waiting for my cabin assignment for my Dec. pride sailing. Is it usual to find out before hand or when one boards?

I had friends who went when Seabourn Spirit was in Alaska in July 2002. They really enjoyed it but they said they like sailing Seabourn in the Med much better. I love Alaska but most people only go once, so there is not a high repeat factor as there is for Europe. I think that with the demand for Europe being so very high and probably continuing so in the future I don't think Seabourn will go back to Alaska for the near (2 years or so) future.

Bon voyage

PS. The suite assignment are usually given at least 2 weeks in adance. Sometimes it is closer to departure but usually 2 weeks to 30 days is the norm. Be sure to go to the Seabourn site to the "already booked" section. You can see your suite assignment there when it happens but your TA will also be advised.

As far as cabin assignment... In the past its been as far out as 60 days, and as close as 2 weeks. For the crossing next week, I've been told assignment won't be given until less than 7 days of the trip. I'm OK with that, but would have liked to know before I traveled overseas..

Host Dan

PS Alaska is nice.... Once..

Hi tayl, FYI, I boarded the Pride last December without a suite assignment, it still showed "GTY" the day I flew to Barbados. Since I am having the same thing happen this time, I suspect I might board again without one. That's okay, it is sort of a fun surprise. Last year Seabourn generously upgraded me to a balcony cabin. My favorite deck is 5, I like the murals on the ships. But, as we all agree, any cabin on Seabourn is okay!

I also went to Alaska on Holland America, the Amsterdam. Lovely ship (and Alaska is beautiful), but that is when I decided to try a smaller ship, 1800 people was just too big a crowd for me.

Jane

As far as cabin assignment... In the past its been as far out as 60 days, and as close as 2 weeks. For the crossing next week, I've been told assignment won't be given until less than 7 days of the trip. I'm OK with that, but would have liked to know before I traveled overseas..

Dan,

Last and this November's Legend crossings are sold out. Although I was cheking Seabourn's website twice a day last year, I did not find out my suite assignment until after arriving in Malaga when my TA emailed it to me. When I tried to verify it on Seabourn's website, all booking information was "locked" to passengers. Apparently Seabourn locks this information, 3 or 4 days before embarkation day.

Well all I'm saying is that I want my "once" to be on Seabourn! :D

I'll wait patiently.

Matt,

My only Alaska cruise to date was a two-week RT from SFO in 1983 on the Sagafjord (it was wonderful). I would like to sail to Alaska at least once on Seabourn. Yes, patience is a virtue! ;)

Maybe Seabourn will consider Alaska in the future,if enough interest is shown.

As for room assignment, perhaps we might be pleasantly surprised with an upgrade! I'm sure we'll be happy with whatever suite we're assigned.

I am not 100 % sure, but I have heard that very stringent rules apply for ships to be allowed to enter the Alaskan waters ( waist disposal etc) and that the 3 sisters cannot do Alaska for that reason.

If this is correct the new ship might be able to do so.

Maybe somebody in the know could comment on this?

>"I am not 100 % sure, but I have heard that very stringent rules apply for ships to be allowed to enter the Alaskan waters"

You are right. Captain G-A told us that is the reason that Seabourn stopped the Alaskan itineraries. The regulations are indeed very tight to protect the waters and shorelines. Alaska is still having problems collecting from the Exxon Valzez disaster over 10 years ago.

Oh great - thanks for throwing a wet blanket over my Seabourn Alaska plans. :rolleyes:

You're young, it might happen. I do think that there are some financial considerations that can be overcome to allow Seabourn to go to Alaska.

However, I went on CruiseWest (no Silverseas for me!) and it was delightful. You might check out their itineraries.

Archived