Man over board

PACURN

Thanks Stacy, you are quite right, it is my choice, Thats why we live in America. Land of the free. Since you are typing in blue we all can read you words. Thank you.

It's funny how this thread has turned into how my colour of type causes grief to you all. I've been posting here for a couple of years and have never been told off about that. Oh well thats why we live in America. Land of the Free.

Melika thanks for your support. Forgot to mention that earlier. I also didn't think it was an issue but apparently it is.

If someone's color of print is troubling, simply highlight it and it should become easier to read. I do this with the green one's. :)

Debbie - I am glad the drama was a short one AND you grabbed your robe. I had one of the 7A's and came out of the bathroom once... ummmm I forgot they clean & maintain the lifeboats! :eek:

I wonder what the rules would be for the crew... if they did a headcount and verified everyone was safely on board, would they go to the trouble of retrieving a body? I am inclined to think they would not.

I don't agree. I suspect that even if everyone was accounted for and they found a floater...they'd stop and retrieve the person.

Maybe the crew member did spot a person in the water - it could have been a body from some other ship. The OP did not say where the ship was, but "boat people" are occasionally found between Cuba and Florida, or near Haiti, and it's not too big a stretch to assume that some of them don't make it.

I wonder what the rules would be for the crew... if they did a headcount and verified everyone was safely on board, would they go to the trouble of retrieving a body? I am inclined to think they would not.

I think that maritime law would dicate that they would stop.

They have everyone go to their cabin, then the cabin steward comes by and does a head count. There were some people who seemed not to understand what "go to the cabin" meant. It took a good half hour to figure out where they were. The staff called overhead for one particular cabin at least five times.

Well, they didn’t send everyone to their cabins. Late seating dinner just went to the dining room. Everyone else went to their cabins. I felt sorry for the people who were stuck in their cabin for an hour and a half.

I don’t understand why it took them 3 hours to decide that they needed to do a head count. Of course, I have no idea what the procedure is either.

Maybe the crew member did spot a person in the water - it could have been a body from some other ship. The OP did not say where the ship was, but "boat people" are occasionally found between Cuba and Florida, or near Haiti, and it's not too big a stretch to assume that some of them don't make it.

Ditto for me. I've been hundreds of miles from land in a 42 foot sailboat to where we were tethered to the lifelines at night on watch with 6 foot leads for safety reasons. You go overboard and it is very very difficult to find someone.

Whomever saw something must have changed their mind about what they saw or the ship would have never left until person was found.

Thanks Stacy, you are quite right, it is my choice, Thats why we live in America. Land of the free. Since you are typing in blue we all can read you words. Thank you.

It's funny how this thread has turned into how my colour of type causes grief to you all. I've been posting here for a couple of years and have never been told off about that. Oh well thats why we live in America. Land of the Free.

Melika thanks for your support. Forgot to mention that earlier. I also didn't think it was an issue but apparently it is.

Your reply says loads about you... (in any color)

I guess the high road had traffic?:rolleyes:

I don't agree. I suspect that even if everyone was accounted for and they found a floater...they'd stop and retrieve the person.

Years ago, any deaths aboard ship meant that the body would be placed in the reefer cooler until the next replenishment ship arrived and then transferred to that ship for delivery to the land base.

I wonder if a cruise ship would do the same until making the next port?

Don

When that young man committed suicide by jumping of the Ecstasy out of Galveston last summer, I know that his body was kept on the ship until they returned two days later. The news media couldn't wait to be at the Port of Galveston to report on his removal from the ship.

Ships do have morgues, they cannot store a body in a food cooler. With over 4,000,000 people cruising each year, DEATH is a commonplace occurrence. Be it drowning, accident, or natural causes [or maybe murder] it happens and crews prepare for it and know how to handle the event.

On one cruise they announced that they were going to practice a "man overboard" drill including a "Miller" turn [if my memory is correct on the name].

It is a violent "S" turn to bring the ship precisely back to a point in the ocean that it just went through. The ship leans over pretty good in each part of that turn. It was interesting, and much better than having the real thing happen.

Dan

Yes, they do have morgues. I know the passengers onboard the Ecstasy were very, very, very surprised to see the removal of the young man's body from the ship, but what else could they do? The pax thought that they had flown the body back from Cozumel. His parents had flown down there and accompanied his body back to Galveston onboard the ship. So, so, so sad.

On our cruise on Radiance a few years ago, we were leaving port in St. Thomas and I was on the promenade deck outside watching us sail away and over the intercom comes "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar, port side" and was repeated a couple of times. You've never seen people move so fast! The crew had the lifeboat in the water and "rescued" the passenger before I knew what was going on. It was a drill. They brought the "dummy" passenger back onboard and set it in one of the deck chairs. It did make you feel good to know that the crew could move so fast in an emergency. By the way, the crew didn't know it wasn't a real emergency until they got out to the dummy in the water to rescue him.

On one cruise they announced that they were going to practice a "man overboard" drill including a "Miller" turn [if my memory is correct on the name].

It is a violent "S" turn to bring the ship precisely back to a point in the ocean that it just went through. The ship leans over pretty good in each part of that turn. It was interesting, and much better than having the real thing happen.

Dan

Hi Dan, the three possible turns for man overboard recovery are called the Williamson, Anderson and the Scharnow. Anderson is more appropriate when the person or position (perhaps of the lifering) are clearly visible. Williamson is more appropriate at night or low visibility......and the last has to do with the turning circle of the ship....

Hi Dan, the three possible turns for man overboard recovery are called the Williamson, Anderson and the Scharnow. Anderson is more appropriate when the person or position (perhaps of the lifering) are clearly visible. Williamson is more appropriate at night or low visibility......and the last has to do with the turning circle of the ship....

Thanx for the correction, I suspected my memory was fuzzy on the name. Maybe it was a "Miller" memory even tho I drink Grolsh on ships.

Dan

If someone's color of print is troubling, simply highlight it and it should become easier to read. I do this with the green one's. :)

Debbie - I am glad the drama was a short one AND you grabbed your robe. I had one of the 7A's and came out of the bathroom once... ummmm I forgot they clean & maintain the lifeboats! :eek:

Yeah that could be a problem couldn't it. Yikes. :D

Well, they didn’t send everyone to their cabins. Late seating dinner just went to the dining room. Everyone else went to their cabins. I felt sorry for the people who were stuck in their cabin for an hour and a half.

I don’t understand why it took them 3 hours to decide that they needed to do a head count. Of course, I have no idea what the procedure is either.

We were a little curious about that also. You'd think they would have done it right away. Oh well what do I know.

Hey Debbie if you like pink stay with pink!! I don't like blue or black but do I complain? NO!!

Thanks Madge. Pink is a great colour. I didn't think it would be controversial. Anyway October is breast cancer month. Think Pink.

You didn't "cause grief to us all" and you weren't "told off" by anybody. Nor did anyone mention that they were offended (not that I read). Steamboatin politely suggested a different color scheme so he/she could read your post. Steamboatin even ended the post with a big smiley which normally does not indicate that offense was taken. Lighten up. You really want to play the "that's why we live in america" card? Geez....

we we on the regal princess 15 days to hawaii and the second night out at 3:40 am the captain made an announcement that we were missing a passenger.....everyone was to stay in their cabins for a head count..he named the missing passenger and age...girl 17 years old....reported missing by her father,....we could feel the ship slow down.....5 minutes later the captain announced that the girl was found..she had called the purser's deck and told them she had fallen asleep in a friends cabin...it was the talk of the ship the next day...it turns out that she was one of our tablemates..lol...

Archived