Man over board

PACURN

Had a little excitement on the Spirit last week as we were sailing home. I'm in the shower when I hear "Bravo Bravo Starboard side". Not knowing what this was I jumped out of the shower, grabbed my robe and ran out on the balcony to see what I could see. I saw nothing so I went back to the bathroom to do my thing. I rinsed out the bathing suits and asked the DH to lay them on the chairs on the balcony. The next thing I hear is him hollering at me to come here. There is orange smoke out in the water.

By now I could tell the ship was slowing down. It stopped and then made a big circle around the smoke. As we got close we could see the life rings in the ocean. We could see the officers on the Bridge looking with binoculars.

Ryan, the CD, came on and said a crew member thought he'd seen someone in the water. After quite some time looking nothing was found and we moved on. Later a complete head count was taken. It turns out that nobody was missing thankfully. We had seen some dolphins playing around the ship. Maybe that was what this person saw who knows, but it was exciting. Never had that happen.

Just thought I'd share it with you all.

Had a little excitement on the Spirit last week as we were sailing home. I'm in the shower when I hear "Bravo Bravo Starboard side". Not knowing what this was I jumped out of the shower, grabbed my robe and ran out on the balcony to see what I could see. I saw nothing so I went back to the bathroom to do my thing. I rinsed out the bathing suits and asked the DH to lay them on the chairs on the balcony. The next thing I hear is him hollering at me to come here. There is orange smoke out in the water.

By now I could tell the ship was slowing down. It stopped and then made a big circle around the smoke. As we got close we could see the life rings in the ocean. We could see the officers on the Bridge looking with binoculars.

Ryan, the CD, came on and said a crew member thought he'd seen someone in the water. After quite some time looking nothing was found and we moved on. Later a complete head count was taken. It turns out that nobody was missing thankfully. We had seen some dolphins playing around the ship. Maybe that was what this person saw who knows, but it was exciting. Never had that happen.

Wow... you can't blame the crew member for being too cautious... With all the folks going overboard in the last several months I'd be cocked, loaded and ready to fire, too!

Glad to hear it was a false alarm. It sure beats the alternative.

while I am not sure exciting describes the emotions of the possibility of losing someone at sea it certainly is a unique occurence...glad it turned out to be nothing

Sorry, I didn't mean "exciting" like I was thrilled to see something bad happen. It was just something different. No offense meant there.

Howdy,

For us that are visually impaired we cannot or have extreme difficulity reading a post in your color selection.

Recommend sticking to plain old dark blue or black as an ADA jester at least.:D

while I am not sure exciting describes the emotions of the possibility of losing someone at sea it certainly is a unique occurence...glad it turned out to be nothing

From Dictionary.com:

ex·cite premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /ɪkˈsaɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ik-sahyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object), -cit·ed, -cit·ing. 1.to arouse or stir up the emotions or feelings of: to excite a person to anger; actions that excited his father's wrath. 2.to arouse or stir up (emotions or feelings): to excite jealousy or hatred. 3.to cause; awaken: to excite interest or curiosity.

I was on the Conquest last year when a man jumped off the ship around 11:00 pm. The search was grueling and very dangerous. We were in force 7 winds and the crew was out in the lifeboats searching. Nearby ships came and helped with the search. I don't want to go through that again. It's good they did a head count so fast and found everyone safe.

I was with you in Oct on Conquest. That was not the way I wanted to spend my night. I was so stressed over the whole thing. Sure the cruise was good but I could not get the image of someone alone in the dark ocean so far out from my mind. I was worried for the crew as they searched. It was reassuring to know that something would be done if something did happen to someone I loved but it was all in all, a highly stressful time. Glas the head count was OK for your sailing.

Howdy,

For us that are visually impaired we cannot or have extreme difficulity reading a post in your color selection.

Debbie--I like the pink...it matches your gittery name! You can't please everyone all the time, so if the pink makes you happy--keep it!:)

We went through a man overboard on the Liberty in July. I would never want to go through that again. It happened around 11 PM. It was very eerie standing at the rail watching them search for him. I was so scared they wouldn't be able to find him. The Coast Guard found him within about an hour thank goodness. When we got back we found out he had been playing on top of the life boats and decided to try and cut the ropes. A security guard was trying to get him to come down and he jumped. People sure do crazy things when they are drunk.

Had a little excitement on the Spirit last week as we were sailing home. I'm in the shower when I hear "Bravo Bravo Starboard side". Not knowing what this was I jumped out of the shower, grabbed my robe and ran out on the balcony to see what I could see.......

Debbie,

Perhaps they had some spare time and decided they'd see how many pax would run onto their balconies in the buff? ;)

A dinner leaving Matazlan on Carnival Pride someone spotted a children's life jacket (it's not clear if it was floating there or thrown, maliciously or as a test) so the ship went through the drill.

With those azipods, it's amazing how quickly they can turn a 900-and-something foot long, 88,000-and-something ton object doing 17 knots. She handles better than most SUVs!

Maybe the crew member did spot a person in the water - it could have been a body from some other ship. The OP did not say where the ship was, but "boat people" are occasionally found between Cuba and Florida, or near Haiti, and it's not too big a stretch to assume that some of them don't make it.

I wonder what the rules would be for the crew... if they did a headcount and verified everyone was safely on board, would they go to the trouble of retrieving a body? I am inclined to think they would not.

Howdy,

melika091900...I think that Steamboatin's comment wasn't said because of them being "high strung", but because as Steamboatin said of being "visually impaired". Maybe with poor eyesight, being color blind or with some other eye problem pink is not a good color for them to be able read a post easily?

Maybe without going off thread to much, Steamboatin could give a little further information as to the problem some people have in reading pink colored type used in posts. We can all learn with further information?

Don

This may be a stupid question - but how do they do a head count so quickly, with over 3,000 people all over the ship? Do they "re-muster" everyone?

They have everyone go to their cabin, then the cabin steward comes by and does a head count. There were some people who seemed not to understand what "go to the cabin" meant. It took a good half hour to figure out where they were. The staff called overhead for one particular cabin at least five times.

Howdy,

Sorry for the offense my freind but I love pink so no can do. :)

Debbie,

Perhaps they had some spare time and decided they'd see how many pax would run onto their balconies in the buff? ;)

Yeah Paul that would almost be me, but I grabbed my robe on the way out. HeHeHe :D

People are so high strung on here..

making a reply re: the OP 's color of wording ... GOSH who cares.

any ways to the OP,, at least we know the ship was looking so thats a good sign for sure :)

take care

Melissa

Ahh the wonder of youth and good eyesite. :p I don't think the person was trying to be mean by pointing out that pink is hard to read. I can read it if I squint just right. There is someone that posts in green and I just skip right over their posts because it is too much hassle. If a person is posting for their own pleasure then it doesn't matter at all but if they are trying to communicate and be helpful to other readers then it might matter that some of the audience is struggling. Now that she knows, it is her choice what she does with the info. And I don't think there is a right or wrong choice.

Archived