Got a letter from Seabourn today about the verandas on the Odyssey....

MarciAnn

We booked a V1 suite on the Odyssey for the summer of 2009 and my TA forwarded a letter to me from Seabourn about a mistake in the description of the V1 and V2 verandas in the new Odyssey brochure.

I quote:

"These suites have a partial glass windscreen on the veranda. The windscreen, (the outer wall of the veranda) is steel on the lower portion, with a clear glass panel on top. The steel is low enough that you can see over it when seated, but it is not a full glass panel down to the deck, as on the verandas in some higher categories.

The brochure printing inadvertantly deleted the word "partial' from the suite description. We apologize for the confusion."

So the picture in the brochure showing un unobstructed view off the balcony is only V3 and above suites.

Is this something that I should be concerned about given how much more I paid for a veranda over an A category suite? I am still a little confused as to what this looks like. Is the railing of the wind panel still the same height as shown in the picture or is it substantially higher? Guess I will call Seabourn but thouight that someone like Iamboatsman might have some insight.

Thanks.

Hi Marcie,

Sorry I do not have any better insight...yet. I will find the answer.

My uninformed impression, however, is not that the hight of the railing is different, but rather that the metal will be about 24-36 inches high. Any higher and ou would not be able to see out when seated.

The steel will be approximately 12 inches (1 foot) high from the deck and obviously will not obstruct anyone's view or the ambiance...unless of course you are lying directly on the deck or the suite's carpet:eek: . The remainder of the balcony "railing" will be glass.

So that it is totally "clear", I am confident there will be a wood cap rail (on top of the glass as is normal, but no metal "railings" - as are present on ships that do not have glass.

I think the disclosure is more of making sure the information is absolutely correct rather than a warning that there is a problem.

I booked a V2. I had wanted to book when I was actually on-board in Dec.,so that i could take advantage of the 5% discount. I was informed that this would be fine. However,due to the popularity,I might not get the cabin location I want by that time. So... I booked.

What would happen if I cancelled while on-board then re booked? Or should I just leave things as they are?

I booked a V2. I had wanted to book when I was actually on-board in Dec.,so that i could take advantage of the 5% discount. I was informed that this would be fine. However,due to the popularity,I might not get the cabin location I want by that time. So... I booked.

What would happen if I cancelled while on-board then re booked? Or should I just leave things as they are?

You really need to speak with your TA about that. I would caution against doing something "in the blind" or based upon what someone suggests on this board. You are looking at some significant savings if you can have them applied.

You may consider re-booking while you are onboard, assuming the cabin of choice is available. Then cancel your original booking. You will be "out" double deposits (for a while) but in the long run will get the 5% discount.

Host Dan

Sounds like the infamous QM2 steel hull "balconies". (Hope not)

Host Dan

They don't sound like the hull balconies at all. The Qm 2 hull balconies had no glass and were cut our from the hull of the ship. There was no way you could see anything when seated (I sailed in these) except the metal of the hull.

They don't sound like the hull balconies at all. The Qm 2 hull balconies had no glass and were cut our from the hull of the ship. There was no way you could see anything when seated (I sailed in these) except the metal of the hull.

Thats a relief! Thats for clearing that up Cruisr! :)

Host Dan

Hey, Matt..

//boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=644602&page=2&highlight=hull+balconies

Depends on where you are sailing, IMHO. I preferred the clear balcony on Deck 11, myself. (I had friends the hulled balcony suites.) But then, with 2800 of my closest friends (Cruisr not withstanding, who was down the corridor), I wanted to be alone on my balcony. My rule of thumb is that if I cannot lie in bed and see the water, I am not going.

Archived