Darkwood Beach

vidalia1

nice pics! I'm curious if there's a bus stop at Darkwood. What about a published bus schedule? Probably too much to ask for in the Caribbean. Thanks for the information

There's a bus stop right outside the entrance of Darkwood. I'm not aware of a printed schedule but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just that I don't have access to one.

Thanks for all the info kewlguy!

We will be in Antigua 1/23/09 and I'm drawn to Darkwood. We are a party of 5 and one toddler. I'm so glad to hear that this is reasonably done by bus, as the cab fares start to get crazy. Also good to know chairs and umbrellas are available. I'm in charge of picking the beaches and researching the estimated costs for the day. You have been enormously helpful.

In case we are entirely pooped out after the day on the beach with the little guy, would we be able to get a cab ride back to the cruise terminal from Darkwood Beach? In other words, do you think the beach bar has a phone?

Thanks for all the info kewlguy!

We will be in Antigua 1/23/09 and I'm drawn to Darkwood. We are a party of 5 and one toddler. I'm so glad to hear that this is reasonably done by bus, as the cab fares start to get crazy. Also good to know chairs and umbrellas are available. I'm in charge of picking the beaches and researching the estimated costs for the day. You have been enormously helpful.

In case we are entirely pooped out after the day on the beach with the little guy, would we be able to get a cab ride back to the cruise terminal from Darkwood Beach? In other words, do you think the beach bar has a phone?

I would imagine the bar would call a cab for you. Also since there will be a few others there who arrive by cab I'm sure a driver would call for another cab for you. From what I understand the buses are a bit more infrequent on Sunday's so that also needs to be noted. We visited Antigua last February on a Sunday and went to Jolly Beach instead. We took the bus there and a cab back. Regardless of which beach you choose you will be happy if you're a beach person like us. I'm more than happy to provide helpful information. :)

I've rented cars a couple of time on Antigua (from Dollar) with no major problems. It's a pretty good island for self-drive. Antigua's topography prevents one from getting seriously lost and the island is small. The people are friendly - although they are terrible directions givers! (sort of funny - you can spend a minute listening to friendly detailed directions and still be totally clueless:D; just point mon!)

The significant issues are, 1) the roads are fair to poor with occassional tire killer pot holes (so drive slowly, make sure your car has a spare with ALL necessary change tools), 2) British lane and steering column (give your normally pesky backseat driver free reign to correct you). Oh - when you refill the gas, check the dollar conversion and change (1 USD = 2.6 EC; gas sold in liters).

A trip down to Nelson's Dockyard (via All Saint's Road) and Shirley Heights http://www.shirleyheightslookout.com in the AM then over to Darkwood via Fig Tree Drive for the afternoon is a good itinerary.

We will be in Antigua in a few days. I was told last night, by someone who has been to Antigua, that you shouldn't venture outside the fenced off area as it's not all that safe an island.

Truth?????

We walked all over town & didn't feel unsafe at all. It's not comparable to Jamaica if you thinking along those lines.

We will be in Antigua in a few days. I was told last night, by someone who has been to Antigua, that you shouldn't venture outside the fenced off area as it's not all that safe an island.

Truth?????

You were given faulty information. They may have been talking about Jamaica. We have never had any problems in Antigua.

Truth?????

I would say that about Belize, but definitely not Antigua.

Belize's port area is fenced off from the town. I wouldn't venture outside that area unless I was with a group.

I walked from St John's to Darkwood Beach and back. Got a bit lost in south St John's, the locals were helpful in giving me directions and getting me back on the ship just in time.

There are jerks on the island, like anywhere, but you've got less odds of encountering one than in any American city.

I walked from St John's to Darkwood Beach and back. Got a bit lost in south St John's, the locals were helpful in giving me directions and getting me back on the ship just in time.

Now that's a walk! How long did it take you?

Now that's a walk! How long did it take you?

Had I not got lost at the end and wasted some time among the (helpful and unthreatening) folks in St John's, I think it would have been about two and a quarter hours. Not dawdling, either. Plenty of scenery along the way. NICE and hot.

Lots of really good info here...Thanks everyone!!:D

How far is it from Darkwood Beach to Jolly Beach? can you walk from one to the other along the sand or along the road?

Thanks again!

You cannot walk along the sand; the beaches are separated by headlands with rough terrain. You would need to take the road. There are two beaches between Darkwood and Jolly. I'd say it's at least a mile and a half or two.

Does Darkwood have a long, wide stretch of white sand? or is it narrow like Dickenson's. We weren't to impressed with that beach on our last visit.

Thinking Turners or Darkwood this itme around. We're complete beach bumbs--love the ocean, sun and sand.

Any thoughts?

Archived