Darkwood Beach

vidalia1

Mihono, did you hire a taxi driver for the day?? If so how many hours and what was the cost?? How far would you say each of these beaches are from the port?? Were there bathrooms and food at Valley Church Beach?? THANKS!!!

Mihono, did you hire a taxi driver for the day?? If so how many hours and what was the cost?? How far would you say each of these beaches are from the port?? Were there bathrooms and food at Valley Church Beach?? THANKS!!!

We took bus #22 from West Bus Station. It was very easy to find and the area seemed safe. I think it was $1.50pp, and it took us probablly 30min, i think. Darkwood and Valley Church was very close, probablly 5min apart. Just tell the bus driver to drop you off at Valley church. We just stopped at Valley Church on the way back from Darkwood, so we didn't try to rent chairs or look for beer, ect. we wanted to stay away from the crowd, so i don't really know what amenities there are, but it seemed like there were bars, ect. There are hotels on each side of the beach.

We just got back from visiting Darkwood beach and I must agree with the previous poster. I was flabbergasted at the noise from the road which is RIGHT next to the beach. Very high traffic the day we were there. If I wasn't so tired I would post the photos of our day there. It was packed out. PACKED OUT. Probably the most crowded of all the beaches on any island we have been too. I guess everybody reads CC for advice!!! anyways I would not call this beach the most beautiful by any means and the facilities were awful. Yes there are bathrooms but they were beyond filthy. The day we were there the noise from the traffic as well as the construction was terrible. The waves were also very high which made it almost impossible for anyone to have fun in the water. The experience was not what I was expecting.

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from visiting Darkwood beach and I must agree with the previous poster. I was flabbergasted at the noise from the road which is RIGHT next to the beach. Very high traffic the day we were there. If I wasn't so tired I would post the photos of our day there. It was packed out. PACKED OUT. Probably the most crowded of all the beaches on any island we have been too. I guess everybody reads CC for advice!!! anyways I would not call this beach the most beautiful by any means and the facilities were awful. Yes there are bathrooms but they were beyond filthy. The day we were there the noise from the traffic as well as the construction was terrible. The waves were also very high which made it almost impossible for anyone to have fun in the water. The experience was not what I was expecting.

Really??? We absolutely LOVED the beach and found it to be nothing but peaceful the day we were there. Its is narrow though. Could we have tuned out the traffic?? quite possibly--we were in paradise afterall. I really don't recall hearing any noise other than the sounds of the waves.

The locals did say though that the surf was unusually very active. We had some really great waves the day we were there. We just needed to get passed the breaker point to be able wade in the water. The best part was that it felt like our own private beach until others started to arrive. Still though--it wasn't very busy.

074.jpg.f449e1579e88df9829cbfddd8cee7e9d.jpg

079.jpg.9271467d736425a257a3ff15e16009bf.jpg

Archived