FAQ on air travel

Host Mike

I can't answer about specific booking processes in the US because some things may be changing right at the moment because of new TSA rules.

However, whatever information you do provide to a reputable airline or online travel agent is almost certainly perfectly safe. And there's an extent to which you can't avoid it, anyway: there is quite a lot that you are required by law to give to the airline.

Cancellation: What you lose (or not) depends on the rules of the ticket you buy. Always read and understand the full fare rules, particularly about cancellation and change penalties/charges. The cheapest tickets are the least flexible. On most of those, you get no refund if you cancel. Some airlines have special provisions for giving you some credit.

Pricing: If anything, the airline's own website is often cheaper because they charge no fees. Online travel agents often charge a fee or service charge in addition to the ticket at the same price as the airline's website. But again, see what the total price is on each channel before you decide which to use.

Hi,

We are new to the board and looking forward to the wealth of information it offers.

We are looking at the Port Canaveral Freedom of the Sea cruise and wanted to know if Orlando International is the closest airport. We are arriving from Dallas. The flight times are limited within the timing of departure and return days so it looks like we will have to stay overnight on both ends of the cruise. It looks like it is an hour from the airport to the port. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jim & Trish

Edited by Pug Cruiser

Hi,

We are new to the board and looking forward to the wealth of information it offers.

We are looking at the Port Canaveral Freedom of the Sea cruise and wanted to know if Orlando International is the closest airport. We are arriving from Dallas. The flight times are limited within the timing of departure and return days so it looks like we will have to stay overnight on both ends of the cruise. It looks like it is an hour from the airport to the port. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jim & Trish

Yes, MCO is the airport most people use for Port Canaveral. You can also fly into Daytona Beach or Melbourne but both airports have less options.

If you are from Dallas make sure to look at options from both DFW and Love Field.

Looking at a flight in April 2010 on USAir from MAN to PHL to ERI, with a connection in Philadelphia of approximately 2 hours..:)

Do we have to 'clear customs' in PHL, or will our bags be transferred to our next US Air flt to ERI, to 'clear customs' at Erie International? If we have to pickup our luggage in PHL, to go thru customs, then re-check them for our next flight (doesn't sound logical to me??), do we have enough time?:rolleyes:

Our first Transatlantic flight, so I'm a tad confused..!;)

You go through US immigration and customs at your first entrance into the USA. So you will go through immigration at PHL then retrieve your bags and go through Customs and then drop them back off for your flight to Erie.

You go through US immigration and customs at your first entrance into the USA. So you will go through immigration at PHL then retrieve your bags and go through Customs and then drop them back off for your flight to Erie.
Would this process take more than a two hour layover???.. :eek: Would it be a risk to book that flight??:o

Would be going from the 'big' plane terminal to the 'little' plan terminal, as well.. Airbus 333 to a Q-800 Bombardier prop job!:p

Altho' both are US Airways..

Edited by stlrboo

Sorry I can't tell you about timing international to prop at PHL, never flew international into PHL. You may want to start a separate thread specifically asking that question. You'll get more replies.

Sorry I can't tell you about timing international to prop at PHL, never flew international into PHL. You may want to start a separate thread specifically asking that question. You'll get more replies.
I think I'll probably do that, as the issue is probably more just Philadelphia arrival (International), as I'm sure others (airports) are somewhat more efficient!:rolleyes: THANX...:p

Just to add one detail for completeness, because of the way the question was posed elsewhere: After dropping off the bags, you will have to clear security before boarding your next flight.
I saw that reply on the 'other' thread..!! Many thanks for the info!! This is all new to me!!:) Appreciate it!!:D

• 2 months later...

Wife and I are cruising with friends, Carnival Victory Feb 7 2010. We are flying form Atlanta, GA a day early. There is disagreement within the group over when to book our flights. Right now air is around $300/pp. I know it is as low as $178 this Fall and I don't expect to pay that, but I think I can wait for a sale. I want to wait a bit (since we are still 6 months out and I anticipate a sale or drop in prices at least) but some of our groups thinks we should book now before prices go up. Anyone have any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am new to this site and am hoping someone can help with a problem with our first Mediterranean cruise. We found a great deal but our name has been spelled wrong on all of the paperwork. I e-mailed it correctly to the cruise company but because the cruise is last minute the ticket had to be paid immediately and I did not notice that the name was missing a single letter. Both airlines and Celebrity Cruise lines say they cannot help, that I would have to purchase new tickets and would be out about $5500. That is more than cost of the entire cruise. Does anyone have any ideas? The flights are with American who used issued the tickets on Iberia Airlines. Mu husband just retired and we were so excited, now we don't know what to do.

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi, BelDanChicago, and welcome to CC!

If the ticket is missing a single letter, you should be OK. Most airlines apply a standard rule, which is that spelling errors are allowed if up to three letters are incorrect and the misspelled version remains phonetically similar to the real name.

But you should make sure that when you provide the Advance Passenger Information which is required before checking-in for flights to Spain (if applicable) and the US, the names are spelt correctly as these will be checked against your passport details by the immigration authorities of the destination country.

Thanks so much for your input. It really eases our minds. Since I wrote I have spoken to several people and it seems that we should allow extra time for inquiries and questions but at least it should not be as big a problem as we were led to believe. And certainly not worth buying new tickets at $2000 each which is what American Airlines suggested.

Thanks again,

BelDanChicago:)

I am new to booking our flights for our cruise. In the interest of saving some $ I have decided to take the bull by the horns but am very nervous about this. Some of the sites I have gone on ask the number of seats required and we are a party of 7. Most places only have up to 6. I am afraid that I will only get 6 seats and not the 7th. Am I worrying for nothing?

WE are six months out from our cruise date (Feb. 20/2010) and the flights sure seem high. Did I miss the good prices by not starting sooner to look for this? We need flights from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale and prefer direct if at all possible.

Very new to this so please bear with me.

Thanks for any help you can give me

any comments/warnings about RyanAir & transport from their airports?
Yes. Too numerous to list all in one go, but they boil down to two main things:-
  • Before you book, make absolutely sure that you know exactly what the entire travel experience involves, including the trek to/from the middle-of-the-countryside airports that they sometimes use, and the misleading names that they apply to some of their airports. Check particularly whether the airport is in the same country as the city you intend to go to.
  • Before you book, add up every single extra fee and charge that will be applied to you on your journey, so that you know the total cost of travel. The headline price of the ticket tends to be a bit like the payment you make to a blackmailer: it's only the down payment and there'll be lots to follow.

As an example of the latter point, imagine flying with Ryanair with one 23 kg checked bag. If you then imagine flying with Ryanair with two 23 kg checked bags, the extra you pay just for that second bag is £365. One way.

• 4 weeks later...

We live in the NY area: Sept 2010 - I see I can do a multi city booking with United: AirCanada to Vancouver non-stop. The return trip from San offers stops in LA. SF, and IA..........which is the easiest airport to transfer for someone with mobility issues? how much time between flights do you suggest? will United transfer our luggage for us? Is this the best flight(s) or which other airline should I be looking to? Flights are well priced, so price doesn't seem to be the issue.

Edited by travelteam

We live in the NY area: Sept 2010 - I see I can do a multi city booking with United: AirCanada to Vancouver non-stop. The return trip from San offers stops in LA. SF, and IA..........which is the easiest airport to transfer for someone with mobility issues? how much time between flights do you suggest? will United transfer our luggage for us? Is this the best flight(s) or which other airline should I be looking to? Flights are well priced, so price doesn't seem to be the issue.

Confusing. Are you booking the ticket with UA, but flying on Air Canada? If you are actually flying on Air Canada, you would check in with them and they will check your bags all the way through.

Are you asking about stops in Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington, D.C. (IAD)? If you are going to Vancouver (YVR), why are you asking about a return from SAN (San Diego). If the return flight actually stops at all three airports, that's a lot of stops.

Can you please provide more information?

Confusing. Are you booking the ticket with UA, but flying on Air Canada? If you are actually flying on Air Canada, you would check in with them and they will check your bags all the way through.

Are you asking about stops in Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington, D.C. (IAD)? If you are going to Vancouver (YVR), why are you asking about a return from SAN (San Diego). If the return flight actually stops at all three airports, that's a lot of stops.

Can you please provide more information?

I am taking a cruise leaving from Vancouver but ending in San. I found a United flight that code shares with Air Canada. The flight from Newark to Vancouver on AirCanada seems to be booked from the United website. So no probelm on the first leg. My question regards the return flight to Laguarda (LGA) from SAN. What is being offered by United is a one stop flight with the options of those flights either stopping in LAX. SFO or IAD. So I am asking for advice of which airport stopover is the best (or least most horrible airport) for anyone with a mobility problem. I am not familiar with any of the three choices.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Too numerous to list all in one go, but they boil down to two main things:-

• Before you book, make absolutely sure that you know exactly what the entire travel experience involves, including the trek to/from the middle-of-the-countryside airports that they sometimes use, and the misleading names that they apply to some of their airports. Check particularly whether the airport is in the same country as the city you intend to go to.
  • Before you book, add up every single extra fee and charge that will be applied to you on your journey, so that you know the total cost of travel. The headline price of the ticket tends to be a bit like the payment you make to a blackmailer: it's only the down payment and there'll be lots to follow.

As an example of the latter point, imagine flying with Ryanair with one 23 kg checked bag. If you then imagine flying with Ryanair with two 23 kg checked bags, the extra you pay just for that second bag is £365. One way.

only other comment i would make is.....never use ryanair, anyone else, just never them.

• 2 months later...

I've found a good business class fare on Priceline.com

Is this a reputable website for airline bookings? Is your credit card charged by the airline concerned or by Priceline?

Thankx for any help.

Cheers

ging466

• 4 weeks later...

We are sailing out of Southampton on Aug. 22. We want to fly RT to LON and leave from Birmingham AL [bHM] with only one stop. We usually go through Atlanta and then non-stop to where ever on Delta. The travel agent I talked to this week came up with a flight through Philadelphia that was about $300 less than the Delta which is running almost $1500pp. The problem is, I can't find the flight to know what airline she is using. This is a new TA and I don't trust her yet.

The prices I am looking at seem awfully high- is there a chance they might come down some? Any advice?

• 2 months later...

We made the mistake of booking our flights thru Princess along with our cruise, we paid more that 350 bucks than if we had booked our flights ourselves. Houston to Vancouver with 1 stop in Phoenix.

When I went to check in this morning on USairways my reservation said that I was a group booking and would not be able to check in online.

5-6 phone calls and more than 2 hours later, found out that princess does not follow up on travelers itinerery and will not get seats for their passengers. Princess cruise travelers are given "leftover " single middle seats.

I will never book air fair thru princess again due to the substandard service.

Mike is this the norm or do I expect too much...

I haven't even started my vacation yet, and I am already disappointed....

WeLuv2traveltoo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I recently bought a cruise online with a cruises wholesaler. I don’t understand why it’s impossible to add a flight with my purchase departing from Quebec City Airport in Canada (YQB)? The system shows me all the time that I have to select another departure airport (destination was Tampa, FL with Carnival). However, several major carriers operate in Quebec City Airport YQB (Air Canada, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, etc.). In addition, the metropolitan area of the city serves more than one million people. It’s however possible to add flights from other Canadian airports much smaller like Moncton Municipal Airport (YQM). What's the problem ? To whom should I complain (Cruise Lines, Airlines, etc) ? Why my city is kept out of the network?

Thank you for explanations