Cost Of Tips For 12-year-old

petesweet

I can't find this on the NCL website. Believe I saw somewhere that children pay only $5 per day in tips. What is the age of a child?

We have a 12-year-old in our party. Does she pay $5 a day? or $10 a day? Does it make a different whether she is one of two in a cabin or one of three? (Don't suppose it matters, but I'm speaking of May 28 NCL Jewel to the Baltics.)

Surprised I couldn't find a FAQ on the website. Maybe it's my eyes! Thanks for your help.

The FAQ's are hidden pretty well. I always use the site map http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html;jsessionid=HrT2q65WgcwFKmpPmCJYy5PD8d9LGdSf!-226549066?pageId=SiteMap to find what I need. Here is part of what NCL says about tipping:

What about Tipping?

SERVICE CHARGE

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three.

and the link to Tipping on the FAQ's.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#tipping

The FAQ's are hidden pretty well. I always use the site map http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html;jsessionid=HrT2q65WgcwFKmpPmCJYy5PD8d9LGdSf!-226549066?pageId=SiteMap to find what I need. Here is part of what NCL says about tipping:

What about Tipping?

SERVICE CHARGE

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three.

and the link to Tipping on the FAQ's.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#tipping

Thank you - that's what I needed. (You'd think they would make their FAQs a little more obvious, wouldn't you?)

We cruise only when the kids are in school. Fares are lower and way less youngsters. Much calmer all around.

We try to do that too, but now there are so many kids that are home schooled that thee isn't any time when it's few kids. Also, many parents feel it's ok to take their kids out of school for a cruise.

Fortunately, the kids that we see most often are not the teenagers. They are younger so really aren't into causing trouble. So far, that is, lol.

We've almost always cruised with our sons and I have always left the same amount of a tip as the adult tip. I just feel that if anything, the crew work harder to make the kids' cruise more enjoyable. Whether it be picking up after them (no matter how hard I work at it...it's still a kids' room), bringing them their favorite food or drinks...I never understood why the cruise line would ask for less for kids tips.:confused: Oh and they DO love their room service, don't they?! We always leave the boys a drawer of ones to tip for room service. Of course you are perfectly "politically" correct to tip the 1/2 of adult tip...just thought I'd throw my spin on it.:o

I laughed when I read your post 4 cruisers - we do the same thing. We tip at full adult amounts for the boys. Kids can be far more work than most adults. We also make sure the boys have a stack of singles to tip the room service guy. They also will have their own cabin (who wants to share a cabin with stinky boys LOL) so at least one is charged at adult rates anyway. Last cruise with the boys I also left a bit extra cash for the room stewards - they did a great job! I do make the boys get all their junk off the floor....but I have walked past some cabins and I wonder how on earth the room stewards cope!

I can't find this on the NCL website. Believe I saw somewhere that children pay only $5 per day in tips. What is the age of a child?

We have a 12-year-old in our party. Does she pay $5 a day? or $10 a day? Does it make a different whether she is one of two in a cabin or one of three? (Don't suppose it matters, but I'm speaking of May 28 NCL Jewel to the Baltics.)

Surprised I couldn't find a FAQ on the website. Maybe it's my eyes! Thanks for your help.

under 3, nothing: 3-11 $5.00 per day 12 and above $10.00

Nita

I laughed when I read your post 4 cruisers - we do the same thing. We tip at full adult amounts for the boys. Kids can be far more work than most adults. We also make sure the boys have a stack of singles to tip the room service guy. They also will have their own cabin (who wants to share a cabin with stinky boys LOL) so at least one is charged at adult rates anyway. Last cruise with the boys I also left a bit extra cash for the room stewards - they did a great job! I do make the boys get all their junk off the floor....but I have walked past some cabins and I wonder how on earth the room stewards cope!

I guess our little niece is different. No room service. No mess. She would cause the room stewards no problem. Since it is an automatic tip and they charge just $5, we'll no doubt leave it at that since the room steward is getting tips for two adults and the child (third in the room) is no extra problem.

Thanks for all the input. Found the comments about kids interesting.

I guess our little niece is different. No room service. No mess. She would cause the room stewards no problem. Since it is an automatic tip and they charge just $5, we'll no doubt leave it at that since the room steward is getting tips for two adults and the child (third in the room) is no extra problem.

Thanks for all the input. Found the comments about kids interesting.

Of course you should do what you think is right. Certainly not all kids cause more work for the crew than adults. But I would ask you to consider these things:

1. Part of the daily charge goes to the dining room/buffet/restaurant servers. I assume that your niece will dine the same way that adults do. There will be orders to take, dishes and glasses and such to deliver, plates and other items to clear, and so forth. Usually the servers do make a fuss over kids and go the extra mile for them. IMO, the tips for that should be the same as for adults.

2. Even though your niece will not be ordering room service and is not a big mess-maker, the steward will be making her bed every night and putting it up (either sofa or pullman) every day. The steward will be bringing things for three (towels, glasses, etc.). Now it's not that it's so much more work than for two, but again the stewards tend to really try to make it fun for the kids with extra towel animals and treats and making sure that your niece has everything she needs. I do not believe that any 12 y/o, no matter how good she is, will create absolutely no mess and ask for absolutely nothing. Again IMO, a third person in the cabin, regardless of age, should pay the same tips as for the first and second.

No one will think you're a bad person if you decide to leave the $5 per day as is. I believe that the crews work awfully hard and deserve the full $10, but that's JMO and YMMV.

beachchick

p.s., Yes, some of the comments about kids came out of left field.

yes there are many child haters here. Very interesting indeed.

Did I miss something here, but where were the "child haters" or anything remotely related to hating children? Please enlighten me. Preferring a cruise with fewer children doesn't mean you hate them. This is getting ridiculous.

Sounds like child haters to me. I'm so sick of the kid bashing and eye rolls from old fuddy duddy's that cringe at the sight of child on a cruise. Sure, some kids can be wild animals, and most of the time it's because of the IDIOT adult parents that don't dicipline or watch their kids. And remember, there are just any many rude obnoxious ADULTS on board! My kids and my nephews are very well behaved and deserve the same luxuries as everybody else, it's their vacation too. For those of you that don't like cruising with kids, try another line where they cater to your demographic.

Sounds like child haters to me. I'm so sick of the kid bashing and eye rolls from old fuddy duddy's that cringe at the sight of child on a cruise. Sure, some kids can be wild animals, and most of the time it's because of the IDIOT adult parents that don't dicipline or watch their kids. And remember, there are just any many rude obnoxious ADULTS on board! My kids and my nephews are very well behaved and deserve the same luxuries as everybody else, it's their vacation too. For those of you that don't like cruising with kids, try another line where they cater to your demographic.

guess, like a few others, I don't see any kid bashing or hating here. Of course for those who prefer fewer kids they need to cruise the off season. the main comment related to the $5 versus $10 auto tip and kids making bigger messes. I think if you asked the stewards, most would agree. NCl is one if not the only line that does give a break to kids. Most charge the $10 regardless. Again, we cruised with our grandkids when they were young, they were no trouble, had a great time and we did it many times (not til they were school age I will add) I do not think comments here were intended to set the mommys and daddys off.

Nita

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by salty dingo View Post

We cruise only when the kids are in school. Fares are lower and way less youngsters. Much calmer all around.

We try to do that too, but now there are so many kids that are home schooled that thee isn't any time when it's few kids. Also, many parents feel it's ok to take their kids out of school for a cruise.

Fortunately, the kids that we see most often are not the teenagers. They are younger so really aren't into causing trouble. So far, that is, lol."

Okay....this is the post and YES, I decided to post after reading it to "defend" my sons. We have traveled with them as "kids" and as "teens" and sorry, but this was offensive. We do "Pull" them from school sometimes to cruise as was mentioned. This seems to really mess with those who don't want to cruise with kids.... Too bad, huh?:D We DO tip 100%. This post didn't even mention tipping which was the topic of the original question. I believe this is why it "felt" offensive to we parents who cruise with our kids.:cool:

Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Fortunately, the kids that we see most often are not the teenagers. They are younger so really aren't into causing trouble. So far, that is, lol."

Okay....this is the post and YES, I decided to post after reading it to "defend" my sons. We have traveled with them as "kids" and as "teens" and sorry, but this was offensive. We do "Pull" them from school sometimes to cruise as was mentioned. This seems to really mess with those who don't want to cruise with kids.... Too bad, huh?:D We DO tip 100%. This post didn't even mention tipping which was the topic of the original question. I believe this is why it "felt" offensive to we parents who cruise with our kids.:cool:

I am definitely NOT a kid hater. I have kids, grandkids and I would love them all to go on cruises. I just stated that even though we prefer to sail when there are fewer kids, there are reasons that there are kids on cruises other than Easter, Christmas and summer etc. We have been on over 50 cruises and I never said all kids were bad. Did you ever go on a cruise where the teens didn't want to be part of AO, and their parents said it was their vacation so the teens ran in packs and did whatever they wanted? We have been on a few of those. That's what I am talking about.

I took my son on cruises when he was a teenager. I took him out of school too to do it. I think you need to get all your facts before you take a "general" statement and twist it . I also don't understand why it was necessary for you to post my profile. Perhaps you can explain that to me.

I never said I didn't want to go on a cruise with kids. That's your interpretation. I just prefer to cruise when there are less kids now that I can cruise whenever I want. I love seeing well-behaved kids and we have complimented many parents on how well-behaved their kids are.

So, really, other than knowing I live in Florida and post on here, you don't know anything about me. Stating facts doesn't mean anyone hates kids as the other posters have said.

yes there are many child haters here. Very interesting indeed.

Just wanted to say I didn't see any child haters, definitely not in this thread. The only anger I've seen at all is in the posts attacking the supposed 'child haters' who never even posted in this thread, because the only posts have been from people who attempt to avoid high child traffic times.

guess, like a few others, I don't see any kid bashing or hating here.... I do not think comments here were intended to set the mommys and daddys off.

I'd agree with you, Nita. I just read this thread cold, and the only anger I saw was from the person complaining about non-existent (in this thread at least) child haters.

katiel53 katiel53 Quote:

Okay....this is the post and YES, I decided to post after reading it to "defend" my sons. We have traveled with them as "kids" and as "teens" and sorry, but this was offensive.

These people are only saying there are good times for them when cruising and bad times. Not only that but they're doing it with good humor, even laughing at the situation (that's what "lol" means, laugh out loud). Were they not really responding to the original question about tipping? True, but that doesn't make someone a child hater.

If you find the quoted posts offensive you're very thin-skinned and will have a hard time on the internet in general. Not only weren't these quotes attacking the posters actually worked quite hard to not upset anyone at all.

Teri ~~ on the internet 14 years now and experienced with real flaming that would make your hair curl

Archived