Dry Cleaning onboard HAL ships

donh1

I am thinking about simply sending my suit and whatever in to be drycleaned the first day onboard ship. Will have to be less careful about how things are packed. Just how expensive and efficient are they at doing this. Tks....Don

We have used the dry cleaning and laundry services many times and have always been very pleased. Just remember that the laundry uses HOT water, anything that you don't want washed in hot water you better do yourself! Dry cleaning is wonderful.

When we sail, I pack most of our dressy clothes clean but unpressed. If not in a suite that includes laundry services, I purchase the unlimited pressing package send everythng out as soon as i unpack. Everything comes back beautfully pressed and on hangers ready to go in the closet.

When we sail, I pack most of our dressy clothes clean but unpressed. If not in a suite that includes laundry services, I purchase the unlimited pressing package send everythng out as soon as i unpack. Everything comes back beautfully pressed and on hangers ready to go in the closet.

That's a great idea for everything dry cleanable. I will remember that for our next cruise.

I have a lot of Coldwater Creek travel knits, and that's a problem on the Noordam without self service laundry facilities. I launder them in cold or warm water and never put them in the dryer. I still haven't figured out a better solution than hand laundering in our bathroom sink if need be!

Just remember that old saying about "The best-laid plans of mice and men...". It's extremely rare, but not unheard of, that the dry cleaning machine on a ship breaks down and is out of order for most---or all---of a cruise. That is, until a part can be ordered and received.

If I were you I would plan to bring the suit clean, and send it for pressing if needed.

We have used the dry cleaning and laundry services many times and have always been very pleased. Just remember that the laundry uses HOT water, anything that you don't want washed in hot water you better do yourself! Dry cleaning is wonderful.

Does the info that the laundry only uses HOT water also apply to the Vista class ships that do not have self-serve laundry facilities?

Just got off of Maasdam for a 10-day cruise and we purchased the unlimited laundry.

I would do it again. We did have DH's suit drycleaned, and it came back perfect, but it cost extra. $9. Very much worth it.

Knitlady037 said she sends her laundry out when she unpacks, but we were told we couldn't send off laundry until after the first formal night, which was the second night. So the third morning I sent laundry off. Everything comes back perfectly. Especially dh's cargo shorts! At home I just shake them when they come out of the dryer. The pockets are sticking up everywhere, and they are pleasantly wrinkled. But on the ship, they came back pressed! It was neat (scuse the pun), but it ain't gonna happen at home. If dh wants pressed shorts, he'll have to take me back on a cruise!

And, yes, those yellow tags will get you, but I sure am missing them!

We had planned on doing the unlimited laundry, so it really cut back on packing. It was nice. We paid $70 for a 10-day cruise.

Shay

When you send off a bag of laundry, they put small yellow tags that just stick on each and every piece of clothing. So even your panties will have a yellow tag. It has your cabin number and some other tracking number. The tags are very sticky, I am guessing so they will stay on during the laundry process. You need to take them off when you get them. Well, I guess you could leave them on, but sometimes they scratch. Eventually you'd take them off. I am still finding tags on some of my clothes now that I am at home, and I am sure that next spring when I take out my summer clothes that I'll find even more.

It sure was nice coming home with clean clothes. Even if they have yellow tags on them.

Shay

I still have some yellow tags on a few items from my trip on the Westerdam a few years ago! I just leave them on to see how long they will stay on....of course, I'll have to pull them off of everything that I'm taking on the Noordam....don't want to confuse anyone!

BTW, I did send out two rather complicated formal gowns for dry cleaning on the Westerdam and was very pleased with the results.

Archived