Is this possible?

pisces1

Trying to surprise my parents with a cruise to Alaska for 2009. Only real needs are that it would be inside passage and r/t. The TA I have been using assures me that even at this early date or when 2009 bookings open up, getting a balcony room for under $1,400 is rare. Anyone else have an opinion?

Well I don't know what r/t means, but you should be able to get a balcony cabin for under $1400 per person. But your TA is right, that for 2 people you will not be able to find a balcony cabin for under $1400 together - that would be $700 per person. I booked our balcony cabin for around $870 pp ($1740 total) for our Eastern Caribbean cruise next May. The cheapest I could get for a decent Caribbean cruise was around $1500 for 2 people. Granted I know this is the Caribbean and you're looking for Alaska. Also, it really doesn't matter how far out you book a cruise. They're going to be relatively close. You want to book before the price increases alot, but its not like you're going to save a bunch of money by booking it over a year out. Hope this answer made sense and didn't confuse you too much. :)

Well I don't know what r/t means, but you should be able to get a balcony cabin for under $1400 per person. But your TA is right, that for 2 people you will not be able to find a balcony cabin for under $1400 together - that would be $700 per person. I booked our balcony cabin for around $870 pp ($1740 total) for our Eastern Caribbean cruise next May. The cheapest I could get for a decent Caribbean cruise was around $1500 for 2 people. Granted I know this is the Caribbean and you're looking for Alaska. Also, it really doesn't matter how far out you book a cruise. They're going to be relatively close. You want to book before the price increases alot, but its not like you're going to save a bunch of money by booking it over a year out. Hope this answer made sense and didn't confuse you too much. :)

I think he meant online discount cruise sites-had a typeo-not "siscount cruise sites-"he must be like me and not proofread as well as he should!

but he is right-online cruise sites are great-and you still have an agent who works with you-you just get no flowers or champagne delivered to your room from your agent which you really pay for anyway with the higher prices.LOL!

I could list several sites but even though these sites advertize here-cruisecritic does not like us to do that-so to the OP-look at those e-mails cruisecritic sends you-hint-hint!

Another hint is that in May and September the prices are better for Alaska!

Most prices when quote are per person based on double occupence. I would book an OV which would be in your price range and they can still see it from their room.

If you talk to your TA now have them phone you when bookings are open for it and book right away. If you book in May or Sept (lean season) and ask for Qyt they might get upgraded to a balconey (or they could end up in the lowest of the OV room but start at OV).

Sorry, R/T means round-trip and I meant $1,400 per person, or $3,800 for the room for two. Also, I was told by my agent that you cannot compare Alaskan cruises to others in regards to sales and discounts because they are the most popular cruises afloat, and they don't have to rely on price manipulations the way others do. I guess I was just curious to see if anyone has had experience in getting balcony rooms to Alaska for less than what I quoted. I have done some research and put in some dates for comparable for 2008, but I've never worked with internet cruise agencies so I am a bit leary.

Sorry, R/T means round-trip and I meant $1,400 per person, or $3,800 for the room for two. Also, I was told by my agent that you cannot compare Alaskan cruises to others in regards to sales and discounts because they are the most popular cruises afloat, and they don't have to rely on price manipulations the way others do. I guess I was just curious to see if anyone has had experience in getting balcony rooms to Alaska for less than what I quoted. I have done some research and put in some dates for comparable for 2008, but I've never worked with internet cruise agencies so I am a bit leary.

they are more expensive then carribean-but I still think if you pick an off month-like Sept. or May-you can get a little better price. As I said, check those online discount sites.

Thanks for all the replies. OV is not of interest, since this is my parents 50th wedding anniversary and we want them to be able to experience a balcony as we find it to be an incredible space especially when the scenery is that good. We just did Alaska this May and would never have gone without one. (I know this is an ongoing discussion on these boards, but we just happen to be more private folks who spend alot of time on our balcony regardless of weather). I will continue to search the sites, and I appreciate the input.

:D

Thanks for all the replies. OV is not of interest, since this is my parents 50th wedding anniversary and we want them to be able to experience a balcony as we find it to be an incredible space especially when the scenery is that good. We just did Alaska this May and would never have gone without one. (I know this is an ongoing discussion on these boards, but we just happen to be more private folks who spend alot of time on our balcony regardless of weather). I will continue to search the sites, and I appreciate the input.

For Alaska, only a balcony will do. Search on...:D

Trying to surprise my parents with a cruise to Alaska for 2009. Only real needs are that it would be inside passage and r/t. The TA I have been using assures me that even at this early date or when 2009 bookings open up, getting a balcony room for under $1,400 is rare. Anyone else have an opinion?

As an agent, I would slightly disagree. Finding a balcony for under $1200 would be rare, but you can get them below $1400 I am sure. At least for the upcoming season you can.. the agent is correct about not being able to compare Caribbean with Alaska, but her reasoning may be a little off base.

Nita

A good TA should be able to find a balcony for $1400 per person, especially in May or September. I'm in a full suite on my Alaska cruise next May for only $1700 per person (plus taxes and fees). At the time I booked, I could've gotten a junior suite for about $200 per person less and a fabulous aft balcony for $300 per person less.

• Administrators

As an additional thought (and maybe not too far off base, considering the age of the OP's dad who is celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary) -- have you thought about military discounts if your parents are eligible? Last summer good friends of ours (he's retired AF) booked a balcony on Radiance of the Seas for under $800 per person under RCCL's military discount program.

PS I'm not even a travel agent, but just bopped into Princess's website and found the Coral Princess, in June, with balcony prices at $1449.00 per person. NCL offers round trips for $1439 per person -- http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/booking/cruisedetails.html?packageId=1200107

I'd say it's possible unless you mean $1400 pp including airfare. Air would add a big extra item to the budget and it wasn't clear from the original post if you meant with or without air.

How sweet of you to do that for your parents. Try a search at one of the popular online travel sites. I just looked and although 2009 isn't available yet-the prices for 2008 are within range. NCL and Carnival are well below $1400. I saw some Princess and Holland America sailings at or slightly above that price range. We booked a couple of months ago for the Carnival Spirit and I don't think we paid even $1400 each for a balcony. In fact, I think it's was more like $1200 each. We just did the NCL Pearl in May, but I can't make a comparison on balcony prices because we had a mini-suite. Also, I tend to agree that Alaska is generally more expensive than other destinations. Good Luck with your plans.

After building a relationship with a good TA, have them search for an aft the minute the bookings open. That will get your folks the best vantage for an Alaskan itinerary. If your parents are in good health they will certainly appreciate the healthy walk to their cabin.

We have sailed Alaska in both late June and mid September and there was not a great deal of difference in the weather. We had everything you expect sailing Alaska.

Also consider insurance when you are totalling your real cost for the cruise. Excursions also need to be considered. Independent bookings can save a few bucks but they are expensive regardless.

I hope everything works out and you can present your parents with a wonderful gift.

Just searced a popular On Line Travel Booking site, especially popular with garden gnomes and they have Star Princess and Golden Princess early May, round trip from Seattle ...May 4 - 1099 pp May 11 - 1149 pp and May 10 1199 pp

These are really good rates! Might just look in to it myself. :D Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks again for the input. Those are good prices on the Princess! Unfortunately, the only caveat is that they depart from Seattle which is where we departed from and I swore if anyone else we knew wanted to take an Alaskan cruise we would suggest an inside passage. We hit very heavy seas with no warning from the bridge so we had some unpleasant days. We are boat owners and have enjoyed ocean cruising for years, but I don't think my folks could even take bonine since it reacts to other meds and other remedies don't always work for certain people. I would rather they sail in relatively calm seas.

Archived