Live from the Sun Princess

gooch47

Earlier this year we had friends do the round Oz trip on Pacific Princess.

They said that a limited number of wine was allowed onboard at each port of call.

No duty free was available as the SHIP did not leave Australian waters.

Gooch - after a docking it is often the case that many things that were repaired - do not work properly. The ship's staff will soon have everything working.

Enjoy the trip & especially the smaller ports.

Seadog,

As much as I wish it was still that way, the rules about wine onboard was changed earlier this year (since Pacific Princess season) and is detailed in the booking conditions.

Thanks for your correction re duty free. Only alcohol purchased onboard includes taxes. Any alcohol that is bought onboard will still be put in bond till the end of the journey.

ALCOHOL:

The legal age to consume alcohol on board is 18 years. To ensure the safety and comfort of all on board, we wish to advise that passengers are not permitted to take on any alcohol for personal consumption. Duty-free and personal alcohol purchased shore side, must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding in any port. All alcohol will be held under bond and returned at disembarkation in the final port of call. Please note that all luggage, both hand and check-in, will be x-rayed at embarkation. At disembarkation, individuals must declare to Customs all amounts of alcohol in excess of the local Customs limits. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger for any reason.

Cheers

Geoff

My 2c I'm not sure what the answer really is but on our Sun cruise, dh walked onboard without a problem in NZ with several bottles of wine - a person in front of him and someone a couple behind both had bottles of spirits "taken" and told they would be returned on the last sea day..... we were also out at Portside to see "our" ship (big sighhhhh) and also chuckled at the super business the liquor store was doing!

Have a wonderful time Gooch - will be with you in spirit:D

Jane

As the Sun Princess is doing a circle Australia cruise, and not leaving Australian waters, the passengers onbaord would not be able to purchase Duty Free from the land based stores or the shops onboard, as there is no international destination (Hence Pacific Star going to Wallis Island.). When I have done coastal cruising, on P&O world cruises, I have found the shops to be closed, with a notice in the window advising that they will remain closed until departure from the last Australian port due to Australian Customs.

On another note the purchases onboard would be subject to the Australian GST.

GOODS AND SERVICES TAX:

All domestic flights and hotel packages include GST. S804, S735, S735A, S806A and S807 cruise fares listed in the brochure include GST, and purchases made on board your cruise are subject to GST.

Source PO Cruises Australia Sun Princess e-broucher -Conditions of carriage.

Michael

My 2c I'm not sure what the answer really is but on our Sun cruise, dh walked onboard without a problem in NZ with several bottles of wine - a person in front of him and someone a couple behind both had bottles of spirits "taken" and told they would be returned on the last sea day..... we were also out at Portside to see "our" ship (big sighhhhh) and also chuckled at the super business the liquor store was doing!

Have a wonderful time Gooch - will be with you in spirit:D

Jane

Hi Jane,

Have you got your land legs back yet?

Your Sun cruise from the US was operated by US Princess, which still allows wine to be taken onboard. Cruises operated by P&O \ Princess Australia no longer allow any alcohol to be taken onboard.

Cheers

Geoff

As the Sun Princess is doing a circle Australia cruise, and not leaving Australian waters, the passengers onbaord would not be able to purchase Duty Free from the land based stores or the shops onboard, as there is no international destination (Hence Pacific Star going to Wallis Island.). When I have done coastal cruising, on P&O world cruises, I have found the shops to be closed, with a notice in the window advising that they will remain closed until departure from the last Australian port due to Australian Customs.

On another note the purchases onboard would be subject to the Australian GST.

GOODS AND SERVICES TAX:

All domestic flights and hotel packages include GST. S804, S735, S735A, S806A and S807 cruise fares listed in the brochure include GST, and purchases made on board your cruise are subject to GST.

Source PO Cruises Australia Sun Princess e-broucher -Conditions of carriage.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the boards. Are you cruising on any of those Sun Princess cruises?

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Jane,

Have you got your land legs back yet?

Your Sun cruise from the US was operated by US Princess, which still allows wine to be taken onboard. Cruises operated by P&O \ Princess Australia no longer allow any alcohol to be taken onboard.

Cheers

Geoff

Going by the amount of grog we saw being carried onboard yesterday I hope they have a large storage area:D

Geoff - I am having serious withdrawals:D (hence why I have gone to see the Sun several times!!!!!!!!!!!), it was great seeing and speaking to a few of the crew and officers yesterday though - I am slowly getting on top of things - sadly a close friend passed away shortly after we returned and it has sort of knocked us around somewhat - so slowly slowly - life is too short....

Did you ever have any luck with the time lapse of our voyage!!!!

Am really looking forward to your cruise though - I kid you not!!!!!

Going by the amount of grog we saw being carried onboard yesterday I hope they have a large storage area:D

Geoff - I am having serious withdrawals:D (hence why I have gone to see the Sun several times!!!!!!!!!!!), it was great seeing and speaking to a few of the crew and officers yesterday though - I am slowly getting on top of things - sadly a close friend passed away shortly after we returned and it has sort of knocked us around somewhat - so slowly slowly - life is too short....

Did you ever have any luck with the time lapse of our voyage!!!!

Am really looking forward to your cruise though - I kid you not!!!!!

Hi Jane,

Possible they may have relaxed things with alcohol on this cruise, as the US passengers that booked through Princess would not have been aware of the tighter rules. Beats having a mutiny! Would be nice if it stays relaxed too, would be nice to get a confirmation from onboard.

I have heaps of footage to edit up. I initially got a bit deflated when they turned the deckcam off just before coming into Sydney. I haven't forgotten, and I have some spare time for this stuff tomorrow.

Sad to hear about the passing of your friend. Life has a way of levelling things out sometimes.

We are hanging with major anticipation for our cruise, and all these added photos and vids are adding to the excitement. When SP makes it back to Sydney it will be down to approx 3 weeks, so am hoping Linda and others can keep me entertained with more snippets till then.

Cheers

Geoff

Thanks for checking in. I'm sure things will get better on board the ship. Sorry to hear you needed heat to start off your trip.....I had been wondering about the weather. I imagine going around the continent you will encounter many different temperatures. Take care and enjoy! Brenda

Yes. It was Montville.

Today was Whitsunday. Croc cruise and we got to see real, wild crocs. Very interesting. I also got to see my first wild kangaroo! I don't count wildlife on my wildlife list unless it is not in a zoo.

We were the last tender back at around 5:00 and it is now 7:30 and we still haven't left. Of course, Yorky's Knob (Cairnes) is only a short distance away.

Yes. It was Montville.

Today was Whitsunday. Croc cruise and we got to see real, wild crocs. Very interesting. I also got to see my first wild kangaroo! I don't count wildlife on my wildlife list unless it is not in a zoo.

We were the last tender back at around 5:00 and it is now 7:30 and we still haven't left. Of course, Yorky's Knob (Cairnes) is only a short distance away.

So glad you had a good day today. Fantastic that you saw you're first wild Kangaroo. I haven't even seen wild crocs!! (not really sure if I want to!:D ) I agree with you about not counting wildlife in the zoo. Hope you keep enjoying your cruise! :) Love live updates from the ships!!:D

For our cruise on the Rhapsody, we are also tendered in. I had never heard of Yorky's Knob before??:confused: :o How far is it into Cairns?

I'll be following your cruise carefully, and picking up any hints on the ports too Linda.:)

Jarrod,

Having checked my homework for tomorrow mornings postcard, Yorkies Knob is the next headland North of Cairns harbour, approx 15 mins by road.

Cheers

Geoff

Jarrod,

Having checked my homework for tomorrow mornings postcard, Yorkies Knob is the next headland North of Cairns harbour, approx 15 mins by road.

Cheers

Geoff

So they would be tendering into the little marina in this photo perhaps?

843834421_b3a58bd7f5.jpg?v=0

Thats if they do it like at the whitsundays and ferry people to and from the marina

So they would be tendering into the little marina in this photo perhaps?

Thats if they do it like at the whitsundays and ferry people to and from the marina

Sam,

I believe that is why they use Yorkeys Knob - better facilities for the tenders to transfer passengers.

Cheers

Geoff

One of the very few negatives we had on our cruise was tendering - took forever to get off the ship we could understand in Raratonga (they could only launch from one side because of the seas) but the rest was a bit of a nightmare to be honest! Hope this has been sorted and Gooch has an easier time !!!

I think the main reason they are now using Yorkeys Knob is that after the Regal Princess grounding - they do not want to risk another grounding with the larger deep draft cruise SHIPS. They could use the port but due to handling difficulties in extreme conditions [cross winds] & possible delays - choose not to.

Torres pilots use Yorkeys Knob if not able to use helicopters.

Pilotage north of Cairns is compulsory & there will be a pilot onboard to a bit past Thursday Island.

John

Sam,

I believe that is why they use Yorkeys Knob - better facilities for the tenders to transfer passengers.

Cheers

Geoff

We stayed at Yorkey's Knob a couple of years ago and were told that there was a fabulous marina with fantastic restuarants. We couldn't find the bloody thing !! Sorry to all those Yorkey's Knobites who are probably aghast with disbelief :eek:

And yes, it's only an easy 15 min drive to the Cairns CBD. We love it there and are planning another trip there...:cool: ....he just doesn't know it yet....:D

glad to hear you had a good day Gooch.....love hearing from you

cheers

nessie

We stayed at Yorkey's Knob a couple of years ago and were told that there was a fabulous marina with fantastic restuarants. We couldn't find the bloody thing !! Sorry to all those Yorkey's Knobites who are probably aghast with disbelief :eek:

And yes, it's only an easy 15 min drive to the Cairns CBD. We love it there and are planning another trip there...:cool: ....he just doesn't know it yet....:D

glad to hear you had a good day Gooch.....love hearing from you

cheers

nessie

Yes Nessie, there isnt much there! friends of ours had a para sailing business, their floating office is right opposite where the tender is in the picture, we had lovely lunch at the Sailing club you can see in the background, other than that.......there is not much else if you dont plan on doing a tour. I would hire a car for the day if going there by ship, drive to Cairns, Kuranda etc.

Chez

xx

other than that.......there is not much else if you dont plan on doing a tour. I would hire a car for the day if going there by ship, drive to Cairns, Kuranda etc.

Thats what i liked about the star docking at trinity wharf, it was like a 5 minute walk at max to the middle of town and then a little more to walk to the esplanade.

Yes Nessie, there isnt much there! friends of ours had a para sailing business, their floating office is right opposite where the tender is in the picture, we had lovely lunch at the Sailing club you can see in the background, other than that.......there is not much else if you dont plan on doing a tour. I would hire a car for the day if going there by ship, drive to Cairns, Kuranda etc.

Chez

xx

Chez, would it be too much to do both Kuranda and Cairns in the one day???

Jane

Thats what i liked about the star docking at trinity wharf, it was like a 5 minute walk at max to the middle of town and then a little more to walk to the esplanade.

Absolutely Sam, we stayed in Cairns at an old pub in the mall area, it was great to wander around both day and night, the esplanade is great, lots of cafes, shops and pubs, I loved Cairns:)

Chez

xx

Archived