Mens Tuxedo shirt

Daphna101

My DH bought both of his at Steinmart. Don't remember the price, but they weren't very exensive. I launder them before our cruise and send them out to be ironed when we arrive on the ship. They do a great job and only charge a couple dollars. If your formal night is the second night of the cruise, be sure to send them to be pressed the first day. They charge more for one day service.

Yep, Steinmart has them..cost they said was 29.99.

Thanks for the tip about colors.

Does the $29.99 include studs, cuff links and bow tie? Saw the whole ensemble at Kohls for $55, not sure about a cummerbund but it included a regular tie as well.

$30.00 is about right for a good quailty tux shirt. You want a good quality so that the gent can feel comfortable all night in it. For my husbands shirts I order a light starch, it stands up beautiful and not enough so he feels like he is in a straight jacket.

If you are buying it new, it is a good idea to let the cleaners do it on the ship to take out the million wrinkles it will have right out of the package.... Especially if you pick a pleated front shirt, which is my personal preference.

Absolutley no on the colors... Either white or black bow tie. Traditonally a white tie is reserved for tails, but both my husband and I like the white on white look and he wears white with a black tux jacket.

Often I buy studs and cufflings as a cruise gift for my husband and give them to him the day of formal night.. It is so much fun and not a lot of $$ to invest. (that is unless you buy them at Brooks Brothers!)

I always buy my Husbands shirt at The Mens Warehouse. They make sure the fit is perfect.

Here's another option for you to consider. Joseph A. Banks.

They have a promotion going on where you purchase one shirt for $39.98 and get a second shirt free. The URL is

http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=102906

Another style for the same price is:

http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=&pcount=&Product_Id=56760

There web site will also show other accessories.

Keith

One of the biggest reasons that gentlemen give for disliking formal wear is that it is uncomfortable. This is usually due to it being ill-fitted.

Get it fitted properly and allow for shrinkage, especially in collars.

Colored bow ties and cummerbunds are for proms and possibly weddings. If you are over 30, avoid them.

While I disagree with this in principle, they do need to be worn with a certain aplomb to be carried off well.

Use in moderation and small doses perhaps?

Cheers

Mark

I second Burlington. Great deal.

If you want to add color go to a tuxedo shop and they should sell you used bow ties. My DS got purple/black and green/black bow ties. Looked sharp.

You can also check there for tuxedo shirts.

Denise

The tux shirt my husband wore at our wedding came with the tuxedo. Eh on the quality--it was a cotton/poly blend. Next one we bought we made sure was 100% cotton--much more comfortable on warm weather cruises! I got the Jos. Banks catalog a couple weeks ago and they have some beautiful shirts--I was thinking about getting him another one--I love the varied pleat options they have available!!

Ok, update.

We went to Mens wearhouse and did not have the 2 for 39.99.

But we bought 2 tux shirts, one with the pleats, and one with the normal collar european style. Also got 2 sets of vests with euro ties and bow ties, 2 standard ties, 1 pair of formal tux shoes (reboock). Thats enough.

They did have a very nice Calvin Kline tux quite contemporary that I bet hubby will go back and get. Ok, he is done with his shopping...Thank g-d.

I already did mine :D

On our last cruise (21 day) we saw a few men wearing black shirts (tux style, turtle neck and crew neck) with the tux on the later Formal nights. I guess the further into the cruise the more casual the men are getting.

Anni

Colored bow ties and cummerbunds are for proms and possibly weddings. If you are over 30, avoid them.

Well, I don't think that is necessarily true. Some of the newer style tuxedoes look a lot like a regular business suit and scream out for a long tie.

If the tuxedo is a classic, shawl style or double breasted affair, then a bow tie and cummerbund is appropriate for any age and occasion.

--Judy

Try Syms, TJMaxx, Nordstrom Rack....

Does the $29.99 include studs, cuff links and bow tie? Saw the whole ensemble at Kohls for $55, not sure about a cummerbund but it included a regular tie as well.

Peennys included all of that for $20. In fact I think I will go back and buy another a smy hubby's one older shirt is yellow.

Now I launder them myself and just have the cleaners press them-even though it costs the same price-and that keeps the shirts from yellowing as quickly, (their cleanign chemicials) but the shirts ofcourse will still yellow in time, just like everything else, so they still need to be replaced every so often.

But I get mine at Lands End online. They have a GREAT custom shirt program where you can order fabric samples for free, then choose your collar, cuffs, fit....etc....They also save the measurements so you get the same fit if you re-order.

While it is more expensive ( with shipping could be up to $100 ), I get the fit that I want, the sleeves are a perfect length, and the collar never binds ( until the last formal night after I've eaten everything in sight:o ).

I've also niticed that the fabric choices I picked (100%) cotton don't haven't yellowed or grayed after a few years use, and they hold their starch and press better.

Dave:eek:

Tuxedo shirts are no different than any other men's shirt.

The price will vary based on the detail of the shirt and the quality of the fabric. Personally, I would not purchase the cheapest of the shirts nor the cheapest of the ties, cummerbunds. I guess my view is that you pay lots for a cruise, you get all dressed up in formal attire such as a tuxedo so you should have a decent shirt and accessories. Just as a woman puts care into her accessories for her formal attire from the jewelry that she wears to the shoes and to the purse, I would recommend going with medium prices as opposed to getting the cheapest set out there.

You can get a relatively nice tuxedo shirt at around $50.00 and you can get a nice cummerbund and tie for around $50.00 to $75.00. Yes, you can also spend more but at that price the shirt will last for a long time if you take good care of it and the tie and cummerbund should really last for years and years.

I guess my only recommendation is to go to a couple of stores and look at the quality of the items and then make a decision as to what is best for you.

Keith

Archived