Pre-cruise hotel or Post-cruise hotel

max44

Hi,

Just wondering what do you think's the best way round. Go on your cruise first then have a few days in a hotel after - or - have a few days in hotel then go on your cruise before returning home on your flight

All of our cruise, with the exception of the first one, have been from foreign ports (New Zealand, Austraila, England, Tahiti, Thailand, China, etc). We have traditionally done at least three days pre and usually about a week post, depending upon what city we are flying out of (different from embarkation or the same). However, we have come to the conclusion that at the end of the cruise, we are ready to go home and are going to depart directly from the ship on this cruise. We are still flying in a week early.

It' so nice to not have to worry about delays or wandering luggage, plus it gives you a chance to see the city that you are travelling from or returning to.

Charlie

If you are flying to the cruise, go to a hotel before the cruise. That way if your flight is delayed/missed, you are not flying around trying to catch up with the cruise ship.

If jetlag is involved in the flight, that is just one more reason to fly in early.

I am a big believer that you should fly in for your cruise ahead of time. So, I would recommend a pre cruise hotel. You can enjoy the city where the cruise is embarking on, get on the ship fully rested, not have to worry about flight delays/cancellations keeping you from getting on the ship and then when the cruise is over you pack and you can go back home.

Keith

If you have a few days (a few meaning 3 or more) why not do both? We've gone ahead 2 days prior to a cruise and stayed over an extra night whenever possible.

It's lovely to get the stressful travel part over with and relax before you board. We also love the feeling of not having to rush off to an airport when we disembark and are able to see an area we may not have had a chance to get to prior to the cruise. The best part, for us, has been that we have enjoyed a lower flight fare and airports that aren't so crowded with cruise pax.

We go early.

You can work on you tan!

Get yourself acclimated to the warm weather again after months in the freezing cold.

And most important, get a start on those rum drinks!

Enjoy,

Jan and Joe

Thanks for your replys,

Happy ks - I think im with you on that one,

We do the same when we have a early morning flight, stay over close to the airport the night before i really cant put up with the stress of what if we have a breakdown, flat tyre, theres an accident on the motorway, the traffics really heavy, etc etc you get the picture.

We are actually flying in to miami the day before we sail and staying overnight at a hotel close to the airport, i agree that i couldnt put up with the stress of hoping that our flight has no problems / holdups etc and we arrive on time

Then were staying at the Lowes for 3 days before catching our flight home. dont think i like the idea of 7 days of relaxation and then being thrown in at the airport, besides its a couple of extra days for shopping:D

Just thought i'd ask the question as i wondered what other's do?:)

Also i think its a good idea to arrive a day early as you can pick up all those toiletries from CVS that take up lots of room and weight in your suitcase.

I agree with most of the previous posters. The "pre" hotel stay is the way to go!! No worrying about missing the flight or ship. I am in tourist mode at the beginning - I can out-tour the best of them. Then after the cruise, I am more relaxed and at the end, I am ready to go home. I don't care for shlepping luggage anywhere else!! It never seems like the flight home takes nearly as long as the one going!!!:)

We always add one day pre cruise to cover any late luggage, flights etc. This year we are adding a day post cruise too in South Beach. Just wanted to have another full day to relax in the sun before flying back to winter in Wisconsin! BRRRRR

If you can only do one day, do the pre cruise.

i like to do both....even if it is just one day before and after.....much less stress...plus, when i get to the hotel after, i do the laundry if the hotel has washers and dryers..or if there is a laundromat close by...that way minimal wash at home! (and some places put the laundry near the pool!)

We always do "Pre". Gets me into holiday mode so that I'm nice and relaxed getting on the ship! By the time we get off the ship, I agree with some of the others, don't feel like lugging the luggage anywhere else but home. (The kids usually aren't with us, and I want to get home and see them as well)

Happy cruising!

Kim.

We have done both, some times as much as 4 or 5 days on both ends....I have found that I much prefer the Pre-cruise and getting ready for the "Main event"....Every time we stayed after the cruise we found it to be anticlimatic!!

However, this year I am trying somthing different.....1 day precruise and then get on another 7 day cruise the day after this one. B2B!!!...I think I might like this arrangement!!!:D

Archived