First Time Cruiser needs help for 12/22 RCCL cruise

Hello everyone. I am new here and also a new cruiser. I hope this is the right place to post these questions. If not, please be kind as I am just learning about this site and also new to cruising.

Today, we booked the Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas cruise for 12/22/2007. It is my Dh, 22 year old DD and 18 year old son and I. I usually plan and research our trips very far in advance, but we really needed to get away and ended up booking this. This cruise leaves out of Miami. I am really freaking out trying to figure this all out on such short notice. I am hoping you veteran cruisers will have mercy on us and help us with advice.

My most urgent questions are:

1) I am getting the best airfares into FLL. We will arrive on Friday night 12/21. Where should we spend the night? What is the best way to get

to the hotel in Miami from FLL airport and then to the Miami cruise port the next morning?

2) After the cruise returns on 12/29 we are planning on driving to Fort Myers to visit my father that lives there. We will then fly home out of Tampa. Where is the best place to get a car rental near the cruise port? Will we need to go back to the airport?

I am so overwhelmed I don't even know what to ask. I think we can rent a car in FLL or MIA and return it to TPA.

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

The best (and cheapest) way to get from FLL to Miami is to rent a car. We found Hertz to have the best price. We always arrive a day early. We rent the car in FLL and drive to Miami. There are many hotels close to the port. Look for one in the area near Bayside Marketplace. The Holiday Inn and Intercontinental are two good choices. You can walk to Bayside for dinner. On departure day, drive the car to the drop-off place and take the free 5 minute shuttle to the pier. Contrary to what your cruise docs will say, plan on getting to the pier around 11:00 or 11:30. You should be on the ship by noon at the latest.

For 4 of you a rental car might be the way to go, but there is also a no reservation needed shuttle right outside of the baggage claim in FLL. It is 18$ a person and they will take you right to the hotel and the next morning it is about a 10$ taxi ride to the port. We stay at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami because it is right across the street from Bayside Marketplace which has a ton of restaurants.

I agree about Holiday Inn bayside... you can see your ship come in the next morning!!!!!!!!!!!! And you can walk to Bayside Friday night for dinner etc.

We took a shuttle from FLL once. It was easy and convenient. Although, I agree.... with 4 of you, it may be less expensive to rent the car.

Whatever you decide to do.... enjoy your vacation. I am sure the ship will be decorated beautifully and that you will have a great time.

I live down here. All the above info is right on target. You will have an amazing trip. Take a deep breath and remember...it's South Florida, not a remote island. If you forget anything, heavens knows you can find it on every corner!

There isn't any car rental place at the port that I am aware of. You may be able to arrange for someone from the rental agency to pick you up at the port and bring you to their closest office. Or, call the hotel (I like the Intercontinental) and speak to the concierge. They may be able to help you with return of the car from FLL and a new one to take out west.

Hey! I also live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Since we have a cruise coming up in Feb. I was looking up our transportation possibilities. When I went to the Port Everglades sight, it mentioned that the rental car agencies do offer shuttle service to and from the Port. You might want to check the various hotels you are considering staying at also. I think I've heard in the past that some of them offer shuttle services also. Good luck!

Thanks again everyone. Car rental prices are coming in high at this late date. The cheapest is around $100! Yikes. So, maybe the shuttle will be the cheapest and least hassle. Will they drop us off at the Intercontinental?

I was able to get the Intercontinental Miami (Bayside Marketplace) on Priceline for a really good price, so that helps. It sounds like a good place to be able to hang out Friday evening.

Thanks again. We are all getting really excited.

Thanks again everyone. Car rental prices are coming in high at this late date. The cheapest is around $100! Yikes. So, maybe the shuttle will be the cheapest and least hassle. Will they drop us off at the Intercontinental?

I was able to get the Intercontinental Miami (Bayside Marketplace) on Priceline for a really good price, so that helps. It sounds like a good place to be able to hang out Friday evening.

Yes, when you go to the shuttle desk, you just tell them where you want to go. The shuttle will be your best bet. Bayside is a great place to hang out. When we were there in March they had a live band playing in the courtyard. I don't know what time your are getting in, but they do have a boat tour to the stars houses which was very nice.

On our very first cruise, we got the Intercontinental on Priceline, too, and we LOVED IT.

Archived