McDonalds!

I avoid McDonald's like the plague here at home, but I admit to being curious abroad. I went to one in Vilnius, Lithuania in 2002, not too long after the fall of the Soviet Union. People struggling financially. But there it was--the menu was difficult to figure out, little English was spoken. The kids who were there were obviously pampered, and it was obviously a *big treat* for them. Food was fine. The thing I remember most was that they charged extra for "tomato sauce". This is the same city where you could get pizza with eggs on it, at the only pizzeria in town at that time.

In Istanbul, I wanted to try a McDoner, but demured. Too much good local food.

Ok so let me give you my reason first. I love to travel and I always make my boyfriend come with me. His main problem with foreign travel is that he is a man that LOVES his fast food, mainly McDonalds. He usually makes it his mission to find a McDonalds where ever we may be. Most places now have the usual McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC, and Starbucks, but sometimes it is still interesting to taste the difference or find the McDonald in some of the smaller places. Does anyone have any fun McDonalds stories?

The best ones are in India where they have a door man.

The Pizza Hut in India is very clean with a door man (and the cleanest bathroom). Some man turned to us (he may have been British and wife Indian) and said he'd been holding it in for two days until he got to Pizza Hut.

I was traveling with a friend in Japan in 2003 and was very intrigued to see a "McTeriyaki burger" on the menu! I got fries and a Quarter Pounder, and the "medium" sized drink in Japan was small - about what a child size drink is in Canada or the USA. Proper sized portions in other words! :) We tried to get free drink refills (like most Canadian McD's seem to offer) but to no avail. Oh well! We couldn't help but notice that the Coca-Cola on offer was less sweet and the fries less salty than in North America too.

My husband and I were in Harrod's Dep't store and he had to use the mens room. They said unless he had already bought something there, he would have to pay to use the bathroom. He said that we would be shopping as soon as he used the bathroom, but, they said no. We walked out to the McDonald's next door and used theirs. Went back to Harrod's and looked around the food court and did not buy anything there because of the way we were treated.

DW tells me that there used to be one in St. Marks Square :eek: ' date=' but it was nowhere to be seen this past summer.

(Although the map the Tourist board of Florence sent me had a coupon for Mickey D's. We thought that was rich :rolleyes: )[/quote']

It is there. It is on a small side street called Calle Larga San Marco. The line is always long and the place is small. My son gave up fast food for Lent one year and we were in Venice for Easter. He spotted McDonalds and made me take him there the day after Easter. I was in Venice this September (2007) and it was still there.

The McDonalds in Florence is very convenient--very near the Accademia where David stands--a cheap place for a "Coca Cola Light" and a potty break.

Also enjoyed the Mickey D's in Como, Geneva and Zurich for the same (limited, I swear) purpose.

I used to make fun of someone in my office for having dinner at a London Burger King--how could you do such a thing! Then I had lattes at the Starbucks in Basel and Paris...oh well.

Les

It's interesting to see the different menu items they have in different countries. The McDonald's in London featured a Chicken McCurry. We didn't go in since it was only a block from our hotel so no need to use their bathroom and we preferred the kebab shops and Indian restaurants.

DW tells me that there used to be one in St. Marks Square :eek: ' date=' but it was nowhere to be seen this past summer.

(Although the map the Tourist board of Florence sent me had a coupon for Mickey D's. We thought that was rich :rolleyes: )[/quote']

We were just there last Saturday! The square was flooded, but Mc'D was open.

When facing the Duomo, head left toward Harry's American bar, head through the alleyway next to Harry's down one "block" hang a right and it will be on your left. From the front it looks "normal" but it has a side entrance that is very weird looking (unfortunately I'm at work and thus cannot attach the photo).

There are pigeons wandering around inside, and the toliets had no toliet seats, but it is a McD's and my DD got her fries!

• 2 weeks later...
I know that there is a McDonalds in Rome right next to the Pantheon. My boyfriend ate there and I got to use the bathroom.

We ate at this McDs in October so I could use the bathroom ... it was by far the dirtiest bathroom of our entire trip - even much worse than the WCs by the Sphinx! But ... when ya gotta go ...

Staying with the Mcdonald's theme. If you're New York try the one in the financial district by the New York Sstock Exchange. The doorman in in a tux and tails, as is the piano player at the baby grand over your head as your go in. Interesting..................(real toilets too!)

[quote name='Lady Chew']We ate at this McDs in October so I could use the bathroom ... it was by far the dirtiest bathroom of our entire trip - even much worse than the WCs by the Sphinx! But ... when ya gotta go ...[/quote]

Its all relative. Wait till you use the one by the Great Wall in China. You know its there even a mile away.

Archived