Sightseeing and Safety in French Quarter

jp2001

Was this your balcony?

No, That looks like where we usually stay (IOB?)but this time it was The Historic French Market Inn on Decatur. We couldn't have had a better balcony for NYE in my opinion. Now Mardi Gras is a different story.....;)

Great pics, of course everyone seems to be having a good (and safe) time. What's up with that?:D

Quote from your article:

The murders are drug or retaliation related for the most part, police have said. Indeed, the year saw several multiple murders that fell into those categories.

Isn't that exactly what everyone has been trying to tell you?

By the way, this was interesting reading about your little town :eek:

http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/12/29/1229shooting.html

Quote from your article:

The murders are drug or retaliation related for the most part, police have said. Indeed, the year saw several multiple murders that fell into those categories.

Isn't that exactly what everyone has been trying to tell you?

By the way, this was interesting reading about your little town :eek:

http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/12/29/1229shooting.html

Oh, I apologize. If one of NOPD's finest said it then it MUST be true!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I've NEVER claimed that there isn't crime just about everywhere. Even in my "little town". But the sheer VOLUME of crime in "The Chocolate City" (Hizzoner Nagin said that, I'm just quoting) in comparison to this one is like comparing watermelons to grapes.....there IS no comparison.

On another note, if y'all showed just a FRACTION of the vehemence and venom towards your criminals as you do to ME then you might have a good start at solving your problems.

My point is that you don't live here, you probably have never even been here,

so what gives you the right to act like you are an authority on this city?

We know we have a crime problem, but the majority of those crimes are in areas of the city that tourists do not go. The french quarter itself is very safe. But then again, you are the authority, so I guess you would know better than actual residents.

I have to apologize. I must have transposed the 7 and the 1. It's not 17 murders per 100,000. It's 71. Let's see, that makes it ONE of EVERY FOURTEEN HUNDRED EIGHT people were MURDERED in the fine city of New Orleans. There is a bloodbath going on there and some of you are just as blind as Nagin and are buying into the Nagin rhetoric. It amazes me.

So, what I want you to do is this: Sit back and ask yourself (really consider it mind you, don't just dismiss it out of hand). Why are the drug dealers killing each other? Is it for money? Drugs? What? Do they kill and rob each other, back and forth, over and over again ad nauseum without any change? Do they just hold onto the money and drugs they just gained waiting to be robbed or killed by another dealer? Is the same money and drugs changing hands from one to another dealer or gangbanger without any outside money coming in?

Of course not. They would have to be living in a closed microcosm, a finite system for that. They are getting the money they use to buy drugs from THEIR suppliers from somewhere, right? Now, do you think these dealers are otherwise model citizens, holding down 9-5 jobs, contributing to the rebuilding of society? No? Then where are they getting the money? Do they go out of town to rob, fence the TV or jewelry or tools they just stole? Do they maybe go to Biloxi to rob the tourists there, so that N.O. won't get a bad rep for being unsafe to tourists? No?

THEN WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THE MONEY? And where do they SPEND the money? Ahh, yes, they must spend the money at their local corner grocery, right? I don't think so.

No, they are a VITAL part of the economy in New Orleans. They, in fact DO go to the French Quarter to spend their money. Don't you think drug dealers enjoy a nice expensive dinner? Might they be walking right next to YOU? This DEALER or that GANGSTER....You know.... the one responsible for that murder last night, ........guess what?.....He may just be eyeballing YOU for YOUR cash. Or to rape YOUR daughter......or maybe to KILL you or your family for whatever you might have. That's him, the one smiling all the while, making you feel like you're in a nice safe place.

To think or FEEL that you are safe in New Orleans is utterly foolish. For anyone, including "Hizzoner" the Mayor, or the Pollyanna's on this board to say otherwise is irresponsible and UNCONSCIONABLE!! As well as just plain DANGEROUS!

Is your very LIFE worth it? Is your family's?

You hit that one right on the head, Kingfish. Just last week my wife and I were dining at Galatoire's, and were seated next to a table of Crips. Not long after, a group of Bloods on their way to a performance by the Louisiana Philharmonic stopped by for dinner. There was a minor contretemps because one of the Bloods was wearing his low-rider tuxedo. The Maitre'd managed to accommodate them at a corner table,

Not long after, one of the Bloods started dissing one of the Crips over his choice of wines to accompany his Trout Amandine. "Yo, bro," he says, "that Pinor Grigio is an entirely inappropriate choice. It lacks nose, and is way too floral."

"Dawg," says the Crip, "the sip is bright and balanced, with a signature nuttiness".

Things got so ugly that the sommelier had to be called.

Incidents like this have become much more common since Katrina. Again this year New Orleans is rated by the FBI as having the worst rate of inappropriate carping in the nation. Street gangs constantly confront each other over the correct tempo for a certain Mozart Oratorio, or the proper execution of an arabesque at the ballet.

If things get much worse, we will have to move to Texas.

Oh, I apologize. If one of NOPD's finest said it then it MUST be true!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The credibility of New Orleans worst still ranks higher than yours. You are so blinded by your own obsession with the city and its people you can't see the vehemence and venom in your own posts.

You need professional help.

No, That looks like where we usually stay (IOB?)but this time it was The Historic French Market Inn on Decatur. We couldn't have had a better balcony for NYE in my opinion. Now Mardi Gras is a different story.....

Great pics, of course everyone seems to be having a good (and safe) time. What's up with that?

Not IOB. Upon further review (and brightening the picture) I have decided it must have been one of the Pontalba Apartment balconies, perhaps above the Corner Oyster Bar and Grill.

xfCdNKPK4PJrhnh0eDLrY6oGc41qWhCI0300.jpg

LgUIQtBBemVJoqCzAbPzup15n24QqWEk0300.jpg

You must have been opposite this:

jVB2bFBIONX83Ad66zlwbBVCWrP5EyZD0300.jpg

Some more gratuitous pictures..

B3hPdw8RLGQOEdFLshLeboEQgb4ZWIJ80300.jpg

7-4K1JLznSwShPytuH9CsmjqTAPXwrX+0300.jpg

kuIJeb-acXrtd6uWCy6jXTkRu-QdLwE30300.jpg

Great pics, of course everyone seems to be having a good (and safe) time. What's up with that?:D

Thanks. Now that I think about it, one of my shoes was assaulted by a tiny bit of chili that leapt off of my Lucky Dog (delicious!) later that evening. It seemed to prefer to commit suicide rather than be eaten. I'm not positive, but believe it may have flashed gang signs right before the end.

WvYMffhT+OBFitI6PmX5nCHmNfr+shLp0300.jpg

Thanks. Now that I think about it, one of my shoes was assaulted by a tiny bit of chili that leapt off of my Lucky Dog (delicious!) later that evening. It seemed to prefer to commit suicide rather than be eaten. I'm not positive, but believe it may have flashed gang signs right before the end.

WvYMffhT+OBFitI6PmX5nCHmNfr+shLp0300.jpg

Oh the poor Chili! Great Post!!! I'll be eating one of those tomorrow!!! Hooray!!!!!

You hit that one right on the head, Kingfish. Just last week my wife and I were dining at Galatoire's, and were seated next to a table of Crips. Not long after, a group of Bloods on their way to a performance by the Louisiana Philharmonic stopped by for dinner. There was a minor contretemps because one of the Bloods was wearing his low-rider tuxedo. The Maitre'd managed to accommodate them at a corner table,

Not long after, one of the Bloods started dissing one of the Crips over his choice of wines to accompany his Trout Amandine. "Yo, bro," he says, "that Pinor Grigio is an entirely inappropriate choice. It lacks nose, and is way too floral."

"Dawg," says the Crip, "the sip is bright and balanced, with a signature nuttiness".

Things got so ugly that the sommelier had to be called.

Incidents like this have become much more common since Katrina. Again this year New Orleans is rated by the FBI as having the worst rate of inappropriate carping in the nation. Street gangs constantly confront each other over the correct tempo for a certain Mozart Oratorio, or the proper execution of an arabesque at the ballet.

If things get much worse, we will have to move to Texas.

Wow, ....finally someone on this board with an intelligent, sarcastic, lucid original thought. Let me go out on a limb here... You are NOT a product of New Orleans public schools are you?

Kudos.

The credibility of New Orleans worst still ranks higher than yours. You are so blinded by your own obsession with the city and its people you can't see the vehemence and venom in your own posts.

You need professional help.

My vehemence stems from posters on this board lying to innocents from BF Midwest and elsewhere. You tell these poor folks if they do this, or stay in this section or that that they will be safe. Animals killing other animals is a fact in New Orleans (overwhelmingly more so than in other cities). I just don't see your purpose in luring people from elsewhere to step into the cage, reassured by you that they will be "safe". Unless, of course, you're motivated by greed. Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

My vehemence stems from posters on this board lying to innocents from BF Midwest and elsewhere. You tell these poor folks if they do this, or stay in this section or that that they will be safe. Animals killing other animals is a fact in New Orleans. I just don't see your purpose in luring people from elsewhere to step into the cage, reassured by you that they will be safe. Unless, of course, you're motivated by greed. Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Your vehemence (based on your posts to another thread) stems from an acquaintance of yours being murdered sometime last century in New Orleans. Once upon a time (but not this century), you lived in New Orleans. Am I wrong?

I do somewhat care, but don't have a huge problem with criminals killing criminals. I much prefer the police to protect tourists and conventioneers (which they do) as opposed to protecting criminals. What is your problem with that? Sooner or later the gangs will declare a truce over a particular street corner (NOT in tourist areas) and equilibrium will be established.

I am motivated by reality and truth, and not by vengeance. You have already been proven to tell your share of lies.

Your vehemence (based on your posts to another thread) stems from an acquaintance of yours being murdered sometime last century in New Orleans. Once upon a time (but not this century), you lived in New Orleans. Am I wrong?

I do somewhat care, but don't have a huge problem with criminals killing criminals. I much prefer the police to protect tourists and conventioneers (which they do) as opposed to protecting criminals. What is your problem with that? Sooner or later the gangs will declare a truce over a particular street corner (NOT in tourist areas) and equilibrium will be established.

I am motivated by reality and truth, and not by vengeance. You have already been proven to tell your share of lies.

So, crime is not crime unless it affects you, is that it? So as long as the money is coming in from the tourists, life doesn't matter to you?

I'm beginning to get a clearer picture of you.

So, crime is not crime unless it affects you, is that it? So as long as the money is coming in from the tourists, life doesn't matter to you?

I'm beginning to get a clearer picture of you.

As previously mentioned, you need professional help. I am sorry about your friend (or I think it may have been two). I am not sure venting on a public Internet board is going to help.

As previously mentioned, you need professional help. I am sorry about your friend (or I think it may have been two). I am not sure venting on a public Internet board is going to help.

Yet again, you avoid my question. Why?

And yes, I had one friend murdered for $2 and his tennis shoes. And another beaten so badly (in his driveway, in a "safe" part of town), that he was in a coma for 4 months, all because the animals wanted his box of chicken. Not drugs, mind you. Not guns or money. THEY WANTED HIS BOX OF FREAKIN' CHICKEN!!! He (and his wife and 2 kids) continues to struggle to live a "normal" life.

But the truth is that EVERYONE I know in New Orleans has, at some time, been touched by crime personally.

On this public internet board, out of towners ask if they are "safe" coming to New Orleans and doing this or that. All of the answers paint this picture of OZ, while leaving out the wicked witches. I try to make sure that the wicked witches are not left out and some poor unsuspecting poster on this board isn't walking in blind.

I really have no interest in debating something that happened last century in parts of the city not known for being tourist areas.

A number of locals and tourists have posted how safe they were and you reject these personal testimonies in favor of sensational and often yellow journalism stories you find doing internet searches.

Good news doesn't sell advertising.

No one has said New Orleans is crime free, but just about everyone knows tourists are not the target of serious crime.

Your continued insinuations that tourists are somehow less safe in New Orleans than in any other major city is absolutely misleading and completely FALSE.

My vehemence stems from posters on this board lying to innocents from BF Midwest and elsewhere. You tell these poor folks if they do this, or stay in this section or that that they will be safe. Animals killing other animals is a fact in New Orleans (overwhelmingly more so than in other cities). I just don't see your purpose in luring people from elsewhere to step into the cage, reassured by you that they will be "safe". Unless, of course, you're motivated by greed. Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

Explain this sir...

kingfish78734 Says:

April 27th, 2007 at 8:23 pm

There was some, but not major violence near where I was in Rwanda and Ghana. A couple (times) we were threatened by one faction or another and had to run or drive to cross some imaginary boundary ruled by another faction and then we were “safe”. We’d wait a couple of hours (or days in some cases) and then go back to what we were doing, which was trying to build a clinic, more of a bush hospital. The boundaries were very dynamic and changed just about every other day. But I never really felt in “grave” danger.

How could you feel "safe" in a country where over 800,000 were murdered and complain about someone else telling the truth as they see it first-hand ? That is beyond my comprehension.

Not IOB. Upon further review (and brightening the picture) I have decided it must have been one of the Pontalba Apartment balconies, perhaps above the Corner Oyster Bar and Grill.

xfCdNKPK4PJrhnh0eDLrY6oGc41qWhCI0300.jpg

Yes, I can see the AP logo in the grillwork.

You must have been opposite this:

jVB2bFBIONX83Ad66zlwbBVCWrP5EyZD0300.jpg

We were just to the left of the green trailer. You must have taken the photo from near the stage Monday since it looks like Georgia is there..

We were just to the left of the green trailer. You must have taken the photo from near the stage Monday since it looks like Georgia is there..

Monday and Georgia was in the house. LSU was also getting an early start. Probably taken from near the stage. I pretty much covered the French Quarter.

vYKVxpsEgmeL-T1dZgMDgsQINzE2fC570300.jpg

3v7gYt4iGzZkm7pCULn04BRqhSdzi6kU0300.jpg

sDmUmyhkoEwrBsSYiwz5zxanor3l2bUC0300.jpg

I just searched the Honolulu Advertiser website for the keywords "new orleans". Guess what? I didn't find a single mention of a murder, rape or assult of any of the thousands of Warrior fans who were just here for the Sugar Bowl. What evil motive must those liars have? Hmmmmmmm.

Oh for crying out loud! Does kingfisher really think his scare tactics work? My father is a worrywort. Guess where we are sailing from....

NOLA :eek: :eek: :eek: !

(Sorry I wanted to see what being sensational felt like.)

It's just like every town. Some areas are bad, some are good. Others are great. I guess we can't all live in a perfect crime free place like Texas.

Archived