What do you think is going to happen with airfare rates?

3redheads

With the price of oil going up, a gallon of gas at over $3 a gallon, what do you think will happen with airfare rates?

I've checked a lot of the fare compare sites, but I haven't been able to go back a few years, or even a year, to determine where the rates have been.

For those who fly to their cruise port, I'm sure we're all wondering when to book airfare.

For example, our next cruise is next August. We ask ourselves what everyone else must ask, "Do we book now or wait until later"

What do you think will happen with rates? How do you find out peak times?

Thanks!

Have you checked www.kayak.com? They have a trend option on their website. My rule of thumb is this: If you think the price is good and the times work, book it. I have seen air prices change as I am booking. I usually watch fares until I meet my criteria then book. Then I don't look at it again. Good luck!

I agree with the previous 2 posters...

I have personally found that booking within 2 months of flying is when I get the price I am most comfortable with...

I have used farecast.com to see trends in airfare... basically they indicate to you when is the best time to purchase...

Of course, I usually get the best rates through Southwest or AirTran...

If you have flexibility in your flying schedule... try priceline... DH and I flew to Europe a few years ago for $300pp/RT and priceline was how I got those flights... I named the price... when you do this though, you have to commit to taking whatever they offer you as long as it is within the range you specify... still, a good way to get a deal.

In general though, I find that I get the best rates when I book directly through the airline and not a middleman (like travelocity or sites that are similar)...I use those sites to give me an idea of what to expect... when I book directly through the airline though it is usually much less than the aforementioned middlemen...

I hope that some will come down, otherwise it is going to cost us more than $900 each to get to Florida :(

Over here BA have just increased their fuel supplement, so that is not a good sign. However, some airlines tend to have sales and it also depends on what time of year you are flying. I'd say when you see a price you are happy with and think is good book it, then stop looking.

I just booked our rt flight for our cruise in Oct. '08.

Got an excellent price and I bet it has gone up already.

Got a fuel surcharge email from Princess yesterday.

Guess I can expect it from the others cruises booked

also. Even the ones paid in full.

What are ya' gonna do? I'm goin' cruisin'! :D

so where are you finding flights that far ahead?? I am cruising for the first time in Nov. 08. All the sites I have checked the rates are not there for that far ahead.

How far ahead do most people book?? or how far ahead can you do most of the travel sites??

I have never used priceline. Can you bid for direct flights only?? I know you can't pick the times, but I would not take a flight if not direct.

so where are you finding flights that far ahead?? I am cruising for the first time in Nov. 08. All the sites I have checked the rates are not there for that far ahead.

How far ahead do most people book?? or how far ahead can you do most of the travel sites??

I have never used priceline. Can you bid for direct flights only?? I know you can't pick the times, but I would not take a flight if not direct.

The major airlines let you book 330 days ahead, the low cost carriers are around 6 months out. I got my flight for next Sept on Sidestep but then booked it through the airline.

Sue,

thanks for the info. Now I know I can quit looking till after the first of the year. I would like to go with one of the major carriers as the idea of being able to check the luggage at the ship when we leave sounds great. I hate standing in line at the airport, especially when I am already bummed out about having to go home from a beautiful trip.

I agree with the previous 2 posters...

I have personally found that booking within 2 months of flying is when I get the price I am most comfortable with...

I have used farecast.com to see trends in airfare... basically they indicate to you when is the best time to purchase...

Of course, I usually get the best rates through Southwest or AirTran...

If you have flexibility in your flying schedule... try priceline... DH and I flew to Europe a few years ago for $300pp/RT and priceline was how I got those flights... I named the price... when you do this though, you have to commit to taking whatever they offer you as long as it is within the range you specify... still, a good way to get a deal.

In general though, I find that I get the best rates when I book directly through the airline and not a middleman (like travelocity or sites that are similar)...I use those sites to give me an idea of what to expect... when I book directly through the airline though it is usually much less than the aforementioned middlemen...

I fly Southwest, because usually I fly from Tucson to LA and it is a short flight. Just wanted to make sure that you know that even though your fare is non-refundable, if the price does go down, you can cancel your existing reservation on-line and rebook at the lower fare using the credit you receive from your original booking. The excess is good for 1 year from original booking. I have even given my credit to family to use if I did not have anything planned.

Deb

With the price of oil going up, a gallon of gas at over $3 a gallon, what do you think will happen with airfare rates?

I've checked a lot of the fare compare sites, but I haven't been able to go back a few years, or even a year, to determine where the rates have been.

For those who fly to their cruise port, I'm sure we're all wondering when to book airfare.

For example, our next cruise is next August. We ask ourselves what everyone else must ask, "Do we book now or wait until later"

What do you think will happen with rates? How do you find out peak times?

Thanks!

We generally do not book our airfare until 60-90 days out. Unless it is during a holiday, or peak travel time, I look at how much I am comfortable paying,as during those times having a seat is most important to me, which is the motivation to book earlier than I normally would. There is no right or wrong and no specific ways the airlines set pricing. Oil has actually come down over $6.00 bbl since last week, so go figure. No one knows what will happen. August will be more of an off season here in Florida as it will be hurricane season, so unless you are going at the beginng of the month, and into Orlando, (theme park time) I wouldn't worry about it until next April, or May. A lot can happen between now and then, good or bad.

Went directly to the airlines site, Continental.com ;)

with PL for flights iirc, you can only say if you would take a red eye......youreally can't do this unless you fly in a day early and back a day after...you CAN wind up with the last flight of the day, or the first and you CANNOT change them...you can't specify direct (which means a stop but not a change of planes...) or Non-stop.....you will most likely have to make a connection.......there is no way i would PL a flight for the same day my cruise was leaving and coming back....there is a very good chance you would miss the cruise or the plane or both!

I've always gotten the best flight prices within 60 days of departure,but with these oil prices I would say all bet's are off.

I see Princess just put on a sur charge of $5.00 a day per person for fuel charges, who knows where this is heading.

John

The question I ask is not "should I book now or book later?" but "Is the price that I can get now a fair price?"

Just last weekend I booked a round trip ticket from central MN to Frankfurt for $405 round trip including taxes. That was an extremely fair price and was NOT a mistake fare. I grabbed it and am going to Germany in January.

So, look at the fare for where you are going to. Keep tabs on the fare so you know going forward if the price is good or not. You will know a good price when you see it.

I never wait until a few weeks before departure to buy my airline tickets. I know when and where I want to go and set up fare watchers then jump on the ticket when the price is right. Or I see a good fare to a destination and decide if I want to spend some time there. Generally I save hundreds of dollars per ticket by booking 6-11 months in advance.

John

Various commodities (and airline tickets are a commodity) have price patterns. With computers and electronic gear, you will generally get more for your money down the road - remember what a $6000 computer would do in the early 90's - much less than a $300 one today. With airline tickets, look to the underlying factors on pricing. You have strong demand (load factors in the high 80's), rising costs (fuel, labor), and a reasonably inelastic supply of airline seats for traveler's butts to occupy. All of which forecast overall higher ticket costs.

Yes, there will be sales and targeted markets for aggressive pricing. Yes, the god of market share will still rule the minds of airline execs. But I would suggest that you first determine what an "average" ticket would be for you, then what you would consider a "good" fare, and then what would be a "great" fare. When you find something you are happy with, snag it.

If I could consistently pick when prices were at the bottom, I'd be using that talent in the stock and futures markets, not worrying about airline tickets. But since I can't, I recognize that I just have to take advantage of whatever comes along. At least until I can afford my own G-5 or Global Challenger, or BBJ. Doubt if I'll ever have enough to buy my own A380 (as a prince just did).

TIP: Don't budget using the low-ball prices you have seen in the past. Use more realistic numbers and know that may be all you will get. Don't keep waiting for that "dream" price -- you might end up with the nightmare of very limited availability and the corresponding hike in your prices. And if you do get a great price, consider yourself fortunate.

Various commodities (and airline tickets are a commodity) have price patterns. With computers and electronic gear, you will generally get more for your money down the road - remember what a $6000 computer would do in the early 90's - much less than a $300 one today. With airline tickets, look to the underlying factors on pricing. You have strong demand (load factors in the high 80's), rising costs (fuel, labor), and a reasonably inelastic supply of airline seats for traveler's butts to occupy. All of which forecast overall higher ticket costs.

Yes, there will be sales and targeted markets for aggressive pricing. Yes, the god of market share will still rule the minds of airline execs. But I would suggest that you first determine what an "average" ticket would be for you, then what you would consider a "good" fare, and then what would be a "great" fare. When you find something you are happy with, snag it.

If I could consistently pick when prices were at the bottom, I'd be using that talent in the stock and futures markets, not worrying about airline tickets. But since I can't, I recognize that I just have to take advantage of whatever comes along. At least until I can afford my own G-5 or Global Challenger, or BBJ. Doubt if I'll ever have enough to buy my own A380 (as a prince just did).

TIP: Don't budget using the low-ball prices you have seen in the past. Use more realistic numbers and know that may be all you will get. Don't keep waiting for that "dream" price -- you might end up with the nightmare of very limited availability and the corresponding hike in your prices. And if you do get a great price, consider yourself fortunate.

Well said!

John

Archived