What clothes can you buy on a cruise ship

It really depends on what line you are sailing. I've been on some ships where all I really notice is logo wear, ugly T-shirts and such. On other ships, such as Celebrity and QM2, there was some pretty high end clothing, both casual and formal. Sizes were limited, so there is not endless shopping opportunity. Prices didn't seem to be any bargain, no duty tax but no discounts, either.

Jewelry, well there are some lovely pieces at the high end and some costume jewelry at the low end. Again, no duty tax, but I don't happen to think there are any great bargains when compared to land based prices.

All in all, it's not something I would necessarily count on for a cruise wardrobe. You might think about going a day or two early to your departure city and shopping there. If you're lucky and find something you like onboard, it can be a better souvenir than another tchotchke.

While you are on board there will sometimes be specials. Even high-end jewelry can be specially priced. On one trip (had a birthday on board) Alan bought me a beautiful Lapis Lazuli necklace at 75% off the list price. I've checked at home and could not get the same length or quality for nearly the price. Also on some ships there will be a 'sale day' when lots of items are one price (or two prices) and you can pick up some nice things for $5-$10. I almost always buy a golf-style shirt with ship logo. When I wear them they remind me of my voyage. I especially like the subtle ones that just have the logo on a nicer shirt than a tee. I enjoy shopping on a sea day.

Watch the newsletter for sale info!

Royal Caribbean ships have more accessories than actual clothing, other than logo clothing which is mostly athletic wear--T-shirts, sweat pants, hoodies, etc.

I would really consider the choices minimal for daily wear and sizes are limited. If you are a plus size woman, there is almost nothing. Shoes are in slim supply, mostly flip flops. There are some logo pajammas. There is a lot of cute clothing for young girls. By the sizes, I'd say young teens.

I don't know the philosophy of those who stock cruise ship stores. I even asked once about why they stock the sizes they do for women and was told by the head of the stores on that ship that women's clothing, especially larger sizes, simply do not sell. I think women's clothing would sell if they had anything attractive to offer. Note, though, they do sell larger sizes of logo clothing for men. Go figure.

I was surprised when I sailed on Carnival to see virtually the same merchandise in their ship stores, only different logos, of course.

So I would say if you are traveling on a mass market cruiseline (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian), don't expect to find very much in the way of clothing to save suitcase space unless you want athletic wear for day time and you do not wera larger sizes. You will be able to buy evening bags, pashmina-style wraps, some jewelry and a few purses and straw hats.

I am wondering what fashion items are available on a cruise ship to buy. From photographs I see that there is lots of jewellery and purses. Is there any smart casual clothing and shoes to buy? I would like to pack less on the way to the ship and bring more home. Thank you.

Over-priced, very limited selection of resort wear or stuff with logos on it.

I was on a Princess ship and purchased a Ralph Lauren tankini and cover up skirt. I felt that the sale price was pretty darn good. But I didn't need it. If I did need a bathing suit I'm sure I wouldn't have found one. :p

I never pack hoping to buy things that I need. But, I do like looking to see if there is something that I just can't live without.

Hi,:) whenever I have looked at clothing on the ship I notice 2 distinct

types.

Seems it is either "leisure wear" or "very dressy".

Much of the stuff is what has been mentioned on this thread.

All types of t-shirts, shorts, long sleeved t-s, hoodies, etc with

the cruiseline logo or the itinerary on it. Sweat pants, etc.

And there is usually another shop with very dressy items. Not sure

how much of that style they sell but they have offered it on every cruise

I have taken so they must have clientele for it. They also have

dressy purses and shawls. And of course accessories...pick a gemstone,

they probably carry it;)

I am not sure I understand the first statement though of the OP....

you want to pack less in order to bring what home...new clothes???

All I can remember seeing for sale was sporty type clothing, t's and polos, swim wear & hats. Most of it had the ship's logo on it too ;) There's usually plenty of accessories though, bags, purses & jewellery. No shoes though (apart from reef shoes :p).

I'm not a fan of logo clothing that SCREAMS CRUISE but over the years have found some things I liked:

Sweatshirts/ long sleeve tee's with a tiny mention of the ship/line in the upper corner.

A great 2 piece black and white short set that I wore till it fell apart!!

A coverup from a ship that no longer sails..

And a beach bag/carry on that I bought on my first cruise in '92 that finally bit the dust last year. That was the best $20 I ever spent in the ships stores!!

Advice: If you a size L, buy early!! By the end of the cruise, all that's left is Small!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will pack what I need, and if I find anything I like on board I will consider it a bonus!

I've never found anything that I just HAD to have. My husband, however, usually buys a pair of running shorts everytime which have been quite nice and a good price. Other than that, the stores just seem to be a place to kill some time on sea days. Or if you've forgotten something like my friend who forgot an evening bag and picked up an inexpensive one.

Don't know where you're going but use any space for something you might find in port that you really love.

• 2 weeks later...
I am wondering what fashion items are available on a cruise ship to buy. From photographs I see that there is lots of jewellery and purses. Is there any smart casual clothing and shoes to buy? I would like to pack less on the way to the ship and bring more home. Thank you.

I have bough faux pashminas, teeshirts, and barrettes and evening purses. Those are the only thing I have bought that could be worn. They do ususally have a few shorts outfits and formal night outfits for sale.

Luckily the Grand Princess had some ladies formalwear for sale. I had brought two formals with me. On the first formal night, found out my dress for that night no longer fit (it had been a bit snug 3 weeks earlier when I had it hemmed). So, I wore the dress I had planned for the second formal night. When the 2nd formal night rolled around, I found a very conservative long black skirt and a glittery top in one of the shops.

just came off navigator of the seas and the shops had everything from logo wear, to formal wear, bathing suits, coverups, nice handsbags and even jeans..on formal nites most people wore formal attire,, we were in the conceirge lounge before dinner and i'd say 90 percent wore tux and the other 10 percent a suit, for the men, ladies, wore from formal gowns, to dressy pantsuits,,I really didn't pay attention in the dining room, was too busy haveing a good time but the conceirge was such a small room it was easy to notice what people were wearing... on the other nites anything went, except shorts and tank tops,, saw lost of jeans with a collared polo shirt and a sport jacket.. for the men, women wore more variety, sun dresses, to dressy outfits to jeans and a dressy top.....as to what's sold in the shops it depends on the ship as to how much space they are allowing for retail sales...

Archived