Reports on Half Moon Cay

Toad

I think it will be days before we hear anything about how badly HMC was hit. Even weeks.......

The SOE improvements were to have been completed by the first week of December for the "Invitation" cruise on Westerdam.

I think you are right, KK. What a shame as it sounds like the upgrades were moving along. Now, it seems they will have work to put things back the way they were. We shall know soon enough.

I know I am ASSuming things here but seems hard to imagine there wasn't some damage done from all of the hurricane reports we heard.

I believe it's a valid assumption, S7S. That storm was so very slow moving, and went right directly across those islands, that it's hard to imagine that there would not have been substantial damage done. The same general area also contains Princess Cay, Castaway Cay, and other cruise lines' private islands. I wonder if they'd consider cooperating to the extent that they could all place their needed repair materials on one ship and send it out to rendevous with all the places needing repair? Nah. Probably too much of a stretch!

We feel so fortunate to have seen HMC this past week. It is without a doubt the most beautiful little beach I've ever seen. I know for a fact that Zuiderdam will no be visiting there during the 9/4 cruise and probably won't be going for quite awhile. It is really a shame.

We feel so fortunate to have seen HMC this past week. It is without a doubt the most beautiful little beach I've ever seen. I know for a fact that Zuiderdam will no be visiting there during the 9/4 cruise and probably won't be going for quite awhile. It is really a shame.

What about the 10/23 cruise? Anyone think it will be ready by then? I have heard so much about it I really want to see it.

Yes, Grand Bahama was hit very hard. There are about 700 left homeless.

It isn't possible to even guess when Zuiderdam (and all the ships as they return from Alaska and Europe) will be able to go to HMC. We don't know what damage, there is, if any, so we cannot know how long it will take for repairs.

My guess is that alot of work will be necessary before we can return there. I definitely hope I am very wrong.

I just found this posted on another site. IF ACCURATE, it sounds like very good news.

This is about ALL I found while searching so far but it is some indication that they survived the ordeal of Frances.

Here is a MAP and Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador is the small island in between Eleuthra and Cat Island.

map.gif

Here are a couple links I found that si good news for Princess Cays and Half Moon Cay as they are quickly getting things back in order and MOST of the Island of Eleuthera has electric, phone, and water. thumb.gif

SAIL,

As you pointed out HMC is on Little Salvador Island. Many people, when they heard that Frances passed over San Salvador Island assumed that it went over HMC. However, although I'm sure it saw some extreme conditions, it would not have been nearly as bad as a direct hit.JMHO

Marc

As you pointed out HMC is on Little Salvador Island. Many people, when they heard that Frances passed over San Salvador Island assumed that it went over HMC. However, although I'm sure it saw some extreme conditions, it would not have been nearly as bad as a direct hit.JMHO

But remember that a hurricane is not like a tornado - a "direct hit" (i.e., being underneath the eye) is not where the only damage, or often the worst damage, occurs. Especially for a small island, high seas and rain will do much worse damage than wind.

-dave

But remember that a hurricane is not like a tornado - a "direct hit" (i.e., being underneath the eye) is not where the only damage, or often the worst damage, occurs. Especially for a small island, high seas and rain will do much worse damage than wind.

-dave

I agree. I never said it was without damage. I'm just pointing out that people heard 'Salvador' when it was going over San Salvador, and assumed the eye was actually passing over HMC, which was not the case.

I was plotting Frances's progress, using the Lat/Lon coordinates in the periodic updates, on a map program that I have. It looks like the eye went directly over the North end of Cat Island, which is about 20 miles from HMC. As large as the eye was at that point, that's the same as a direct hit.

From the CC's news pages:

"What has not escaped Frances' wrath unscathed are cruise lines' private islands, which are part of the Bahamas string of isles and thus located in the path of the storm. A Princess Cruises' spokeswoman says that its Princess Cays is damaged -- and will likely require more than six weeks worth of effort to restore it."

Princess' web page says that "Princess Cays is located on the southern portion of Eleuthera Island."

I'm not sure the distance between HMC & Princess Cays, but the news is not encouraging for those of us cruising in September/October. :(

My fingers (and toes) are crossed!

Well, this toad is hoping that HMC is still on the agenda for HAL. I would be happy not to ave all the improvements and just to have things the way they were.......

I do hope that someone posts as soon as they know anything!

I am very sorry to say that it is most unlikely that we will be visiting HMC on October 15. While our scheduled stop there is still 5 weeks and 2 days away, if the damage is as bad as it sounds like it is, I can't foresee HAL getting HMC up and operational that quickly. Perhaps I'm being a bit too pessimistic, but I'm just going to assume that we won't be stopping at HMC in October. And that's sad, because i was looking forward to it ... it's been since January 2002 since I was last there. :(

Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised??

I just checked HAL's site and here's what they have to say:

Holland America Line’s Private Island, Half Moon Cay, Experiences Only Minor Damage As A Result Of Hurricane Frances

ms Zuiderdam to cancel call to island

Seattle, September 8, 2004 – Holland America Line announced today that its award-winning private island, Half Moon Cay, received only minor damage as a result of Hurricane Frances. The island, which is located in the Bahamas, experienced limited beach erosion as well as the typical landscaping and minor wind damage caused by storms. To allow for clean up efforts, Holland America Line has cancelled the call to the island scheduled during the September 11, 2004 sailing of the ms Zuiderdam.

“We are thankful that we were able to secure and evacuate Half Moon Cay prior to the hurricane,” said Stein Kruse, president and chief operating officer, Holland America Line.

“This was a significant storm and the island was fortunately spared major damage. Our clean up efforts are underway and we will resume our calls to this beautiful island with the September 18 sailing.”

The ms Zuiderdam’s September 11, 2004 sailing will call in San Juan, Puerto Rico instead of Half Moon Cay. The revised itinerary follows:

Arrive

Depart

SAT

9/11

FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

5:00pm

SUN

9/12

Nassau, Bahamas

7:00

2:00 pm

MON

9/13

At Sea

TUE

9/14

Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin Islands

8:00

6:00pm

(Jost van Dyke, Virgin Gorda tour options)

WED

9/15

St. Thomas, US V.I.

11:00pm

(St. John tour options)

THU

9/16

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Noon

FRI

9/17

At Sea

SAT

9/18

FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

8:00

As part of Holland America Line’s ground-breaking Signature of Excellence initiative, several enhancements to Half Moon Cay have been announced including the addition of horseback riding, a stingray lagoon experience, an aqua park and AquaTrax excursions. These enhancements will be completed as scheduled and will all be in place by November 1, 2004.

I just checked HAL's site and here's what they have to say:

Holland America Line’s Private Island, Half Moon Cay, Experiences Only Minor Damage As A Result Of Hurricane Frances

ms Zuiderdam to cancel call to island

Seattle, September 8, 2004 – Holland America Line announced today that its award-winning private island, Half Moon Cay, received only minor damage as a result of Hurricane Frances. The island, which is located in the Bahamas, experienced limited beach erosion as well as the typical landscaping and minor wind damage caused by storms. To allow for clean up efforts, Holland America Line has cancelled the call to the island scheduled during the September 11, 2004 sailing of the ms Zuiderdam.

“We are thankful that we were able to secure and evacuate Half Moon Cay prior to the hurricane,” said Stein Kruse, president and chief operating officer, Holland America Line.

“This was a significant storm and the island was fortunately spared major damage. Our clean up efforts are underway and we will resume our calls to this beautiful island with the September 18 sailing.”

Greg, I think your prayers have been answered. I think you can be optimistic now.

Archived