Reading Windjammer-End of an Empire? Its really interesting.

Coralc

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises has lost its ships and cancelled future sailings. In spite of collecting untold dollars in future cruise payments. Passengers flew to their cruise ports only to find out their cruise was cancelled. It's really an interesting saga, and one that reminds us to buy 3rd party insurance, since WJ is apparently useless. The story is unfolding in real time. Some info is on the Windjammer board, some is on other websites. :)

Of course I thought the Renasissance failure was really interesting too. Obviously because I didn't have cruises booked on either line :-)

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises has lost its ships and cancelled future sailings. In spite of collecting untold dollars in future cruise payments. Passengers flew to their cruise ports only to find out their cruise was cancelled. It's really an interesting saga, and one that reminds us to buy 3rd party insurance, since WJ is apparently useless. The story is unfolding in real time. Some info is on the Windjammer board, some is on other websites. :)

Of course I thought the Renasissance failure was really interesting too. Obviously because I didn't have cruises booked on either line :-)

I just saw that ship in one of the ports we were in on our Empress cruise last week. Not sure if it was Aruba? Yet it does not go there?

That is exactly what the American Hawaiian Cruise line did to their passengers when they went bankrupt. Took the money, let them get to Hawaii and never let them board the ship.

Edit...Oh yeah, that's part of it too. The remaining Windjammer ships are abandoned at various ports. Their loyal passengers are collecting donations to try to get the crew home, since they have been marooned by the Windjammer cruise line. The CEO? is even posting .....stuff. It's really, really interesting, it's like the sequel to "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea"

This cruise line was selling timeshares and future cruise packages on their line, Alexis. These people are out thousands of dollars on their "timeshare" accounts (20K). I can only suggest that people read the 4 part story. It is truly about greed and corruption. :)

The same thing occured the mid 90's when Regency Cruiseline went bankrupt and vessels were seized and passengers offloaded. It had to be a traumatic event for them. The ships involved were the Regent Sea, Regent Star, and Regent Sun.

This was one of our favorite lines and we had sailed those ships many times.

We had a cruise booked but got our deposit back from the insurance company, through the TA.

My sympathy goes to all WJ pax who are affected by this event.

The same thing occured the mid 90's when Regency Cruiseline went bankrupt and vessels were seized and passengers offloaded. It had to be a traumatic event for them. The ships involved were the Regent Sea, Regent Star, and Regent Sun.

This was one of our favorite lines and we had sailed those ships many times.

We had a cruise booked but got our deposit back from the insurance company, through the TA.

My sympathy goes to all WJ pax who are affected by this event.

I know it was traumatic for the credit card company I worked for, because people seem to have this idea that the merchants are backed by the credit card company and we finally had to write off all the charges. None of our customers were out the price of the cruise.

If you have been following things its been obvious for a long while they were about to go under, the question was WHEN, not if. so if folks didnt know to protect themselves????

I recently got a cruising newsletter about mergers and cruiselines in trouble that mentioned this cruiseline on the verge of bankruptcy...so folks knew. If you are interested, go read posts on CC, this will probably be moved to that thread.

Archived