I am so frustrated!!!!

awesomemamma

I just got home from the orthopedist, and my 16 yr old son has a SEVERE sprained ankle. He is in a full temporary cast (all the way up to his knee), and has orders to be on crutches for 2-3 weeks, and NO activity for 6 weeks. Which means excursions on our cruise in 19 days are totally out for him. So, any ideas for what he can do in cabo while the rest of us ride dune buggies, and parasail, besides watching?!

Can't be on the beach either, if you take a water taxi from or to the beach from the terminal his cast will get wet. Also at near 90 degrees his leg will get hot and extremely sweaty causing serious itching.

I hate to say this but, staying onboard would probably be the safest thing to do as jumping onboard the tender can be tricky.

Fred

I just got home from the orthopedist, and my 16 yr old son has a SEVERE sprained ankle. He is in a full temporary cast (all the way up to his knee), and has orders to be on crutches for 2-3 weeks, and NO activity for 6 weeks. Which means excursions on our cruise in 19 days are totally out for him. So, any ideas for what he can do in cabo while the rest of us ride dune buggies, and parasail, besides watching?!

16 years old and a sprained ankle, 19 days to go......he will be ready to water ski by then.

Let's see, senior year, torn ligament in right ankle threw shot at regional meet 4 days later (ankle reconstruction after college...but hey that's a different story ;))

Can't be on the beach either, if you take a water taxi from or to the beach from the terminal his cast will get wet. Also at near 90 degrees his leg will get hot and extremely sweaty causing serious itching.

I hate to say this but, staying onboard would probably be the safest thing to do as jumping onboard the tender can be tricky.

Fred

Staying on board isn't the worst thing to happen.:D

See if the Dr. can give him one of those plastic casts before you go if he still needs one. When I broke my leg and was on non-weight bearing for 7 months the only thing that saved me was that cast. I could take it off to shower and while sitting in a chair doing nothing. It might be an answer for you.

Temporary cast? So, does that mean it's a plastic splint held with velcro straps? If so, he can take the tender in and sit on the beach. You could change your excursion and hang with him in town or go to a hotel/resort where he can sit by the pool or beach while you snorkel or something. I think someone should be willing to be with him rather than leave him alone. I know as a mother of two grown sons, I would easily give up a day of rough excursions to hang out with my son and do something he could do if he was injured.

You can get a wheel chair for around the ship.. There are many excursion you can do.. But they may not be exciting enough for him. I have seen people in cast getting along nicely on a cruise.

But once you get closer to the cruise he may be doing much better. You may want him to "baby" the leg so it has time to get better. Three weeks is a long time from now..

He can sell chicklets.

He should be fine in 19 days. Just bring him back to the doctor, ask for a velcro plastic walking cast.

When I was 16, I pulled all the ligaments, tendons off the bone in my left ankle during gymnastic practice. I had a real plaster cast up to my knee. I made the ortho remove it, because the following week I was in the state finals. So my mother took me to have it taken off two days before the championships. The doctor really didn't want to do it, but he showed me how to wrap it to keep it tight. He also warned me, if I screwed up, I'd probably need surgery. LOL

He just needs to wrap the ankle. believe me, at 16 you heal really fast. I'm a girl and I was screaming in pain for over an hour when it happened. My parents kept watching for signs of excrutiating pain the following the week as I was doing my dance routine on the balance beam. Because they told me, if they saw me looking like I was in pain, they were making me stop. The worst was my dismount from the uneven bars. You can't move a fraction when you hit the mats. That hurt like hell, but at 16, you live thru pain easier than you do at 50 ;)

Oh, and I never needed surgery, but I didn't go into gymnastics in college.

He'll be up and running around with you all, I'm sure. Have a fun trip.

I took my daughter down the Green River (class 3) in an inflatible canoe when she was 12. The canoe leaked air badly and we had to keep stopping to pump it up. She had a broken leg, and was in a removable boot-type cast (like a ski boot), and it was lashed to the canoe. We all had a great time. Until a thunderstorm chased us off the water. It was a memorable day.

Maybe your son can get one of those casts? It would make the water-related issues much easier to navigate.

I would highly recommond the plastic walking cast. I have done about almost everything to my right ankle that you can imagin. When I am about to go on a trip especially a cruise I would make sure I had on a walking cast instead of a hard cast. This way you don't thave to worry about getting it wet and your son will have a much better time then if he had a hard cast! Another great tip is to elevate it and make sure you take some sort of asprin and ice it at least a couple times a day!

Good Luck!

Our son broke his shoulder 4 weeks before we were to leave for Hawaii, and was in a sling up until the day we all left. He was able to do all except the surfing and boogy board. Just be careful and try not to re-injure.

socalnewf- That is one of the funniest things I have read on this board in quite some time. Brings back such fond memories. When we were in Cabo in Feb. I didn't see one kid selling "Chiclets". I was hoping this was now the norm. Quite sad watching 3 year olds trying to make a dime for the family. Thanks for making me smile.

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I would be willing to skip my excursion to stay with him...I know he will heal fast, but seriously, this is a REALLY bad sprain. It was a week ago, and the bone area is still swollen the size of a tennis ball. He has some tendon issues, and has a rough time with sprains, he pulled a tendon in his knee 12 months ago, and it took about 10 months to heal to the point he could do sports again. He was just gearing up for track and now this!

It is one of the velcro strap boots, but he still has to use crutches, right now NO pressure allowed at all. We are hoping to avoid surgery. Maybe we will wrap it real tight, and carry the boot. We will go to the beach and sell chicklets!

Thanks again!

Fred

Why would you even worry about tendering in Cabo? Unless there is a storm it is like watering skiing on glass.

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I would be willing to skip my excursion to stay with him...I know he will heal fast, but seriously, this is a REALLY bad sprain. It was a week ago, and the bone area is still swollen the size of a tennis ball. He has some tendon issues, and has a rough time with sprains, he pulled a tendon in his knee 12 months ago, and it took about 10 months to heal to the point he could do sports again. He was just gearing up for track and now this!

It is one of the velcro strap boots, but he still has to use crutches, right now NO pressure allowed at all. We are hoping to avoid surgery. Maybe we will wrap it real tight, and carry the boot. We will go to the beach and sell chicklets!

Thanks again!

I would listen to the doctor and take it easy.....you do not make to make things worse by ignoring the doctor's advice.........especially if the track is important to him.

Tell him to take advantage of the sympathy he will get from all the girls on board..........You will have a great trip in spite of this set back.....:)

socalnewf- That is one of the funniest things I have read on this board in quite some time. Brings back such fond memories. When we were in Cabo in Feb. I didn't see one kid selling "Chiclets". I was hoping this was now the norm. Quite sad watching 3 year olds trying to make a dime for the family. Thanks for making me smile.

Oh man - that reminded me of the teenagers on the Pride in January, that walked around the ship in sombreros selling Chiclets. It was a riot! :D Hey - at least they weren't throwing stuff of the ship & pushing all of the elevator buttons. :p

• 4 months later...

Just wondering how this ever turned out for you all? I am 22 and leave for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Glory in 16 DAYS and just injured my ankle/foot. It has been swolen for the past 2 days and I am to return to the ortopedist on Monday. If it is not went down, I will at least have to be put in a hard cast and posssibility of surgery. Could not have came at a worse time as I am graduating college and going on the cruise. :mad:

Play it out..

14 yr old ds, broke nose last Wed. Pitched the best game of his life Thur. Had surgery yesterday to repair, they said 2 weeks no PE or sports. He's ready to go today, nose cast and all.. Kids are very resilient. I told him not til Sun. atleast. Take it a day at a time. They heal faster than the doctors say, as a precaution I think they go longer to be safe.

Relax and go day by day.

Happy Cruising!

Donna

Archived