Med cruise - most of you may think I'm nuts!

I am going on the Gem July 20th. I can't wait - and am enjoing learning about the differents ports of call - Valletta, Naples, Livorno, Civittavechia and Villefranche. But, we don't plan on any cruise ship excursions, private tours or even day long "do it yourself" tours. Our destination is the ship, for relaxation and fun. We have no desire to wake up early and rush of the ship to begin a long day of touring. My husband is from Spain and we visit every summer. While we haven't been to most of these places yet, (I went to Rome and Florence once many years ago - he hasn't) we know we can in the future. The option is there (some day when kids are older and we find more money!) to spend enough time there to do these cities justice. We are in Spain this summer visiting family, and have decided to slip away from our children and "relax". We have never been on vacation without our children and can't wait to give it a try. Our plan is to relax each morning, eat breakfast leisurely and at some point leave the ship to walk around. In Naples we do plan on going ourselves to Capri - and just walk around and enjoy. In Villefranche I know we can just walk around as well and have a nice time. What about in Civittavechia, Livorno and Valletta? If we aren't going on an excursion, is it worth it to leave the ship and walk around. When touring, we enjoy just finding a place for a bite to eat/drink, walking around looking in store windows or markets, etc. We're hoping to relax in the spa, at the pool, etc. when we are not off the ship - but thought it might be nice to at least venture out for a bit each day.

Again, I know this sounds nuts to most of you - but after a stressful and busy year - we are just counting down the days where we can relax, get to know each other again without kids around and de-stress.

Thanks for your help!

Given that you already vacation in Europe, I don't think you are nuts at all; rather I think you are very smart. What a wonderful, romantic, restful holiday!

We have done the same thing in the Caribbean; just gone on the cruise to enjoy the cruising; didn't even get off the ship at some ports.

Have a wonderful time.

Kathy:)

I don't think you are nuts. Spain, by the way, is lovely. Madrid is my favorite city and I loved Malaga.

As for Civittavechia and Livorno- there really isn't much to offer in either of those ports. I can highly recommend the excursion to the Cinque Terre. It was nine hours and well worth the $ 129 per person. This was my favorite all-time European experience. Second was sailing into Venice.

I am not an excursion nut. In fact, I didn't even get off the ship in Athens because is was too hot. I am alot like you and enjoy relaxation.

You are right about Villefranche being a cute place to walk around- no excursion nec. As for Capri- this is nice but I would do Pompeii if you get the chance. I have done both and Pompeii is really incredible. Naples is ugly as a city.

I don't think you are nuts. Spain, by the way, is lovely. Madrid is my favorite city and I loved Malaga.

As for Civittavechia and Livorno- there really isn't much to offer in either of those ports. I can highly recommend the excursion to the Cinque Terre (out of Livorno). It was nine hours and well worth the $ 129 per person. This was my favorite all-time European experience. Second was sailing into Venice.

I am not an excursion nut. In fact, I didn't even get off the ship in Civittavechia or Athens because is was too hot. I am alot like you and enjoy relaxation.

You are right about Villefranche being a cute place to walk around- no excursion nec. As for Capri- this is nice but I would do Pompeii if you get the chance. I have done both and Pompeii is really incredible. Naples is ugly as a city.

Hi- you have some great ports there for wandering around by yourselves. Valetta is a really intersting port with lots of history and character. It is a bit of a climb up to town, but taxis are there if it is too hot or strenuous, and walking back from the town is quick and easy. The main street is full of shady squares and cafes, there are horse drawn cabs, and the architecture all around is beautiful. Civitavechia has spruced up the sea front area in recent years. You will probably need the shuttle bus from dock to port entrance, then everywhere is walkable. The train into Rome is really easy to do though.

Livorno is quite a nice place with a big market, small canals in the area they call "Little Venice" (no, it's nothing like!) but if you are there on a Sunday, EVERYTHING is closed! Enjoy your trip

Kate

Either you are not "nuts" or you have some company! :)

We just completed and E. Med cruise last month (having done a Transatlantic cruise last year starting from Civitavecchia w/a pre-cruise visit in Rome). So, on this cruise, we did not take any excursions from Civitavecchia. We stayed on-board, except to do a stoll up and down the very long pier each day. We talked to some fellow passengers who went into Civitavecchia and found it very laid-back and enjoyable.

Also, in Villefranche, we took a bus on our own to Nice, then another bus to Eze--it was great! When we got back to Villefranche, we took the long way back to the tender pier, walking around the sea side of the old fortress-very nice stroll.

We have also stayed on- board at other ports which we have previously visited and really enjoy relaxing on the ship and having it pretty much all to ourselves.

Wow - great responses - thanks everyone. You are getting me even more excited forthis trip. No just for the relaxation but even for the strolls around the port towns. Valleta sounds nice - and doable. And Civ. and the others. I'd love to see Pompeii - but just don't want to wake up and rush out. If I meet anyone on a roll call that wants to share an excursion, we may consider doing one or two..... but at this point I really think I want to do a whole lot of nothing!

The reason we chose to do the Med. cruise at opposed to somewhere closer is because we are there anyway visiting my husband's family. And, more importantly - his parents and siblings live there and can watch our children. I really don't have anyone here I can leave my children with for a week. My oldest is 15 - and we've never been away for more than a day or two. The reason - not that I'm not comfortable leaving them - but because I just don't have family in the area that can care for them. In Spain - they have a bunch of family that can watch them. I've been trying to get them to practice and learn Spanish - so they can communicate with their grandparents and aunts/uncles in Spain. If we leave them alone to fend for themselves while in Spain, they will be forced to spend a week speaking Spanish - so while we're relaxing, hopefully they're learning more Spanish.

To the OP- just so you know, I think that your kids are very lucky to have family in Spain and they will have a wonderful time visiting with them. My mother is from England and we would stay with my grandparents there for 6 weeks every other year. My parents sometimes went off for a few days to visit other parts of England or Europe. This was great for me and my sisters. We really got to know my grandparents and cousins. Spain is a fascinating country and I wish I had people to stay with there. It is a whole different experience.

Anyway, back to Pompeii. What I recommend you do is just get a taxi when you get off the ship. Then take another taxi back. They are plentiful at both ends. That way, you can go when you want, stay as long as you want and return to the ship when you want. The bus offered by the cruise lines leaves and returns at set times and i wished i had more time there. Secondly, they use up 30 minutes with a mandatory tour of the cameo shop. This was frustrating- we just wanted to see Pompeii. If you go to Pompeii, they sell before and after books at the main entrance, which really helped me appreciate what i was looking at.

It is about a 30 minute ride to Pompeii. I imagine there are set rates and I would ask before getting in the cab. I would suspect it will run about 25 Euros each way ($38).

The reason I would not do a guided tour is that we just walked around on our own and really enjoyed it more. There is a restaurant in the center near the ampitheatre and you should bring bottled water- which you can refill at a water fountain. Make sure you have read up on Pompeii before going and bring a English map or book along to guide you.

There is no need to even pay a taxi to get there and back.

Its an easy walk or a short taxi ride to the station. The CIRCUMVESIANA train lin runs between Naples and Sorrento several times an hour in each direction. The stops which serve tourist sites are for Vesuvius, Herculaneum (both at same stop) Sorrento and Pompeii. Unless on a faster train they stop at every station and take an hour from one terminus to another. Pompeii is maybe 1/3 or 1/2 way.

The train stop for Pompeii could hardly be easier....its only a few yards from the entrance gate. Guides and maps available at the entrance or simply pay the entry and wander yourselves, but the site is so vast its probably better have some kind of map. Look in a guide book too.

There is SO much info on this thread re public and other transport to and from the many sites in and close to Naples.

If you are LOGGED ON you can look on this forum for SEARCH THIS FORUM and key in eg Pompeii or Herculaneum or Circumvesuviana or Naples or whatever. Lots and lots of previously answered threads will pop up and you can read at your leisure. Its a very simple and easy way to get lots of info.

The reason we chose to do the Med. cruise at opposed to somewhere closer is because we are there anyway visiting my husband's family. And, more importantly - his parents and siblings live there and can watch our children. I In Spain - they have a bunch of family that can watch them. I've been trying to get them to practice and learn Spanish - so they can communicate with their grandparents and aunts/uncles in Spain. If we leave them alone to fend for themselves while in Spain, they will be forced to spend a week speaking Spanish - so while we're relaxing, hopefully they're learning more Spanish.

What a wonderful experience for your children! See you aren't nuts, you are giving your children a great experience with their family in Spain!

Have a great trip!

Denise

Thanks for the Pompeii information - I have noted it all down. I'm still leaning towards doing a whole bunch of nothing - and just walking around for a few hours each day to get off the ship......finding a place to have a drink, bite to eat, shop. I'd love to take my boys to Italy - Rome, and especially Pompeii so I may hold off until another summer for that. I appreciate everyone's input - not just excursion advice but also helping me realize that I'm not nutes afterall!

I am going on the Gem July 20th. I can't wait - and am enjoing learning about the differents ports of call - Valletta, Naples, Livorno, Civittavechia and Villefranche. But, we don't plan on any cruise ship excursions, private tours or even day long "do it yourself" tours. Our destination is the ship, for relaxation and fun. We have no desire to wake up early and rush of the ship to begin a long day of touring. My husband is from Spain and we visit every summer. While we haven't been to most of these places yet, (I went to Rome and Florence once many years ago - he hasn't) we know we can in the future. The option is there (some day when kids are older and we find more money!) to spend enough time there to do these cities justice. We are in Spain this summer visiting family, and have decided to slip away from our children and "relax". We have never been on vacation without our children and can't wait to give it a try. Our plan is to relax each morning, eat breakfast leisurely and at some point leave the ship to walk around. In Naples we do plan on going ourselves to Capri - and just walk around and enjoy. In Villefranche I know we can just walk around as well and have a nice time. What about in Civittavechia, Livorno and Valletta? If we aren't going on an excursion, is it worth it to leave the ship and walk around. When touring, we enjoy just finding a place for a bite to eat/drink, walking around looking in store windows or markets, etc. We're hoping to relax in the spa, at the pool, etc. when we are not off the ship - but thought it might be nice to at least venture out for a bit each day.

Again, I know this sounds nuts to most of you - but after a stressful and busy year - we are just counting down the days where we can relax, get to know each other again without kids around and de-stress.

Thanks for your help!

It doesn't sound nuts at all to me. I really enjoy the ship and, in fact, have enjoyed just trans-Atlantic crossings on the QE2 which are six days on the ship, no stops at ports. You're there to enjoy what you want to do.

Be sure to be up early the day your ship docks at Valletta. The view as the ship is coming into port is breathtaking. You can definitely get off the ship in Valletta and walk around. That's what my husband and I did. It's charming and there are plenty of places to visit within the small walled part of the city. We enjoyed the Grand Masters' Palace and the Casa Rocca Piccola, which is an 18th Century mansion still occupied by the family that built it. We also liked just sitting and having lunch in an outdoor cafe and people watching.

I don't think there's much for tourists in Civitavecchia. There may be in Livorno, but we didn't explore that option much because we decided to take the Florence on your own excursion. Maybe next time. You can definitely walk around Villefranche, but be prepared to find much of it up hill. Take the train to Pompeii from Naples if that interests you. The ruins are a short walk from the Pompeii Scavi train station.

How much will the taxi cost, more or less??

I wouldn't take one of the taxis in Naples at the pier. As you walk off the ship, you'll be accosted by taxi drivers wanting to take you to Pompeii. I don't know what they cost, but it seemed like the expensive way to us. A short distance from the pier is a taxi stand where you can get a cab to the train station. I don't remember the far, but it wasn't very expensive. The train takes about 20 minutes. None of the taxi drivers at the pier will take you to the train station. They only want to take you to Pompeii, but one of them was nice enough to point out the cab stand to us.

Whatever you do, taxi or train, if you go to Pompeii on your own, you can go anytime you want to stroll off the ship and stay as long as you want. Just be sure you get back to the ship in time.

if you haven't been to capri I would go there rather than pompeii...pompeii is great but you can actually see it ok on tv...capri on the other hand is capri...just watch which port you go from..we took the slow boat over and a fast one back...the fast one docked a few miles (and out of sight) of the cruise ship..no cabs around so we had to walk...we had the time but if you cut it close you could be in trouble.

enjoy the ship and your vacation...its yours so do it your way

I too don't think you are nuts at all, because you're already in Europe. Many people do that here in N.A. by going to the Caribbean. I wouldn't fly to Europe for a cruise and then just stay on the ship, but since you're there already...

But I think you'll want to get off and walk around when you get bored on the ship, but sounds like you have that pretty well under control. Of course, with these port-intensive Med cruises, you'll probably have the ship mostly to yourselves on these days, which may be very nice indeed!

Hi,

How lucky to have family in Spain.I go there for vacation as often as I can!

In Livorno I would suggest that you take the train to Pisa and see that. It's very close by train (less than half hour). Never been in Livorno per se but my understanding is that is not particularly attractive.

Our destination is the ship, for relaxation and fun. We have no desire to wake up early and rush of the ship to begin a long day of touring.
I don't think you're nuts, either. This is exactly the view we take about the ship. If we wanted to see the ports that the ship is calling at, we'd just go there. We wouldn't do a hit-and-run job from a cruise ship. This applies particularly to the places that European cruises call at, where each place needs a one, two or three week visit.

You all have me excited now for Valetta - we have an aft balcony - hopefully sailaway might be nice also. I think I'm looking forward to Valetta the most now.....

I am hoping to have an empty ship during the day when we are just hanging. That might be nice! Oooh, can't wait - how am I going to make it another 7 months waiting for this????

• 1 month later...

Ok, would this excursion fit into my relaxed, don't do too much itinerary? We still plan on mostly just "strolling around" and hanging out near ports and on the ship - but I would like to maybe take one excursion to at least see something. I figure maybe once I can bring myself to get up and out early :) We don't have an interest in spending 10 hours running around a big city though trying to see everything. Something more relaxing makes more sense for this trip. I was initially thining maybe the Pisa/Beach trip but now I'm not sure.

Anyhow, Rebeccalouise mentioned the Cinque Terre excursion so I've been doing some reading. It sounds great but is it too much crammed into one day? Will it be too hot in July with all the walking? It looks beautiful.......

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys - you've been great.

Archived