Hotel in Barcelona

pvoris01

We are doing the 12 night Barcelona-Venice cruise on Celebrity, and we wanted to go a day earlier. Can you suggest a hotel in Barcelona or nearby that we could use or should you book this with the cruise line?

We stayed at the Gran Havana a couple of weeks ago. It's a nice hotel in a perfect location IF you don't mind a rock hard bed. :)

If you want to avoid La Rambla and stay in the Art Nouveau Eixample area, I'd suggest Condes de Barcelona. Both of its buildings are very nice. Large rooms and modern decor in the "newer" one. The "older" one is an Art Nouveau masterpiece.

Safe area with lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. You can still walk to the crowded tourist spots in about 10-15 minutes. About a 15 Euro cab ride to the terminal.

You might consider posting this on the Europe board, too. There are some folks from Barcelona that frequently give city tips and suggestions.

We've booked an apartment hotel in the Eixample area, as an alternative to a standard hotel room, for our pre cruise stay next year. We have a 1 bedroom apartment with a living room, dining area, kitchen and balcony and the cost was less expensive than a hotel room in pricey Barcelona. There are several options to choose from on either Venere or Trip Advisor.

Mary

I stayed at the Le Meridian on the Ramblas - it was in a perfect location and made walking anywhere easy and safe. I would also recommend taking their subway system to get around. We found it very easy to use and yes, they do offer signage in English.

I like the Gran Via. Right in the heart of everything but quiet. Beautiful building, excellent housekeeping. Free computer use in a grand salon. Lovely patio in back. Member of NN hotels. But hope you can stay longer then just 1 day. Barcelona needs more time, it is wonderful.

We stayed at the Hotel AC Barcelona. Celebrity also uses it, but we booked it on our own. It's in the convention area. It's 2 blocks to the subway and about a 5-10 minute ride to Las Ramblas. Rates were much better than downtown and it was a beautiful, modern hotel. I would definitely recommend it. The cab ride to the pier was around 20 euros.

Another who's stayed at the AC Diplomatic...last month before the cruise and right after. loved it. Rooms are spare, modern, and the bathrooms are very nice. Complimentary mini-bar with water, wine, beer. Location is good too...not far from the tourist stuff, but not near the noise...I will admit that one of the reasons we loved it was that we got a room on the 9th floor on the back...views over the Italian Embassy with Sagrada Familia framed in our window...a great welcome to Barcelona.

Also, check out the cruise review I wrote, and look for the "port" section with notes on Barcelona...found some great places to eat!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=668898

Have fun,

Andrew

We just stayed at the Le Meridien this Sunday after our 14 day Med cruise on Millennium. It's in a great location on Las Ramblas, but our room was nice and quiet.

We paid with Starwood points and they upgraded us to a nicer room with a balcony which made the stay even better.

The free and fast internet came in handy too after using the ship's satellite service for two weeks!

Chris

We have used the Majestic and the AC Diplomatic, and the winner for us was the Majestic.

I'll second the Majestic. We were there for 3 nights in June. It's a nice hotel in a good location. We were able to walk all over, even through La Rambla to the port and back up through the gothic quarter.

We saw it listed as a Celebrity pre-cruise hotel, but received a much better price booking directly with the hotel.

Totally agree,

Cruise lines are very expensive to book rooms through, but get the price and do a comparison. We have had prices from celebrity that were cheaper than anywhere else, but then other times more expensive than anywhere including direct with the hotel.

However you look, compare the prices.

Majestic , 21st May 2008 for 2 nights. Hotel Direct $908. HotelClub $844 same room

Use http://www.hotelscomparison.com to compare different booking companies.

The Pulitzer, 1/2 block off the Paza Catalunya at the head of Las Rambles; or Fiesta Caspe, midway between Las Rambles and La Familia Segrada, easy walk to either. I always book through the hotel's web sites. Pulitzer is a Clarion, and Fiesta is a European chain. Both were nice and reasonable.

We returned from Century cruise in Oct. 2007 and stayed 1 night in Barcelona before the cruise at the Hotel Ciutat on Princessa St. and 2 nights after the cruise at the Hotel Del Mar. Both were very nice, very affordable and conveniently located. We booked Hotel Cuitat through our travel agent and got a great price and booked Hotel Del Mar ourselves through Expedia. When we return to Barcelona (probably fall 2008) we will stay at the Hotel Del Mar. :o

Pre-cruise we enjoyed Atrium palace--lovely hotel in an excellent location with excellent service..can walk to everything..

We did not like the post cruise hotel we picked on las Ramblas..the HUsa Oriente--it faced the street noise & was very basic, not as lovely as the first hotel..

Great food at the Attic on las ramblas!

hi,

depending on your budget i would recommend Hotel Continental. we stayed there for two nights last year pre curise and it was great. it is very cheap but clean and free all day busffet of fruit, pastries, hot and cold drinks and even beer. the staff were great as it si family run and although a bit pink in decor a great location as right on las ramblas. get a room with a balcony and you can sit out there for hours and watch the world go by when you are tired from walking.

i would say avoid the subway if you can because although it aids travle i have heard of so many people being pickpocketed on it and a friend who is local recommends tourists avoid it for that reason. it is far nicer to be above ground anyway. try out some of the local tapas bars in barcolonetta too.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz. Excellent hotel. Very modern, great beds, friendly service and the price was very inexpensive compared to other hotels we were looking at. Only a short walking distance to Las Ramblas, which means it was also quiet.

I'll second Hotel Jazz and everything Desertbelle said. I would add that I also thought it was very clean. I stayed there 3 nights pre-cruise last December. I booked directly with the hotel.

Archived