Maine + Canada or all Canadian ports?

NancyIL

I'm considering a couple of cruises for fall of 2008. Due mostly to cost, the choices are between a 7-night cruise on Jewel of the Seas out of Boston, going to Portland, Bar Harbor, Saint John, and Halifax, OR a 9-night on Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ, going to Sydney, Charlottetown, cruising Saguenay Fjord, Quebec City, and Halifax. My preference is Boston over Cape Liberty, and Jewel over Explorer - but what about the ports? The price of each cruise is similar.

Thank you, Keith. I think our decision has been made. My husband prefers the all-Canadian port itinerary of Explorer of the Seas, so we're choosing between Sept. 25-Oct. 4 or Oct. 9-18 for the best combination of fall color and nice weather. Since none of the ports are in New England, I'll be posting future questions about this cruise on the Canada board instead of here.

Holland America has a wonderful cruise that includes both of those ports.

I considered both the Maasdam and the Eurodam. Both are very port intensive, and both are considerably more expensive than Explorer of the Seas. My husband didn't want to spend the money for the more expensive one-way cruises, and he wanted to have a few sea days to relax - so RCI won.

• 5 weeks later...

Who wasn't getting the numbers - RCI or Sydney? Cruiselines do change their itineraries, but they also announce it ahead of time, unless they change their plans due to weather. RCI's web site still shows Sydney on the itinerary - even though the person drawing the route on the map thought St. John's, Newfoundland was Sydney: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do;jsessionid=0000bJc2LlAHQR8YLXloVoZHic8:12hbioan0?packageCode=EX09N007&date=ANY&selectedCurrencyCode=&promoType=&hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&state=

• 2 weeks later...

We considered Explorer itin but decided on Grandeur instead from Baltimore.. this is a divine itin (have done it and visit Quebec often) but the port call in Quebec was way too short as was one of the others (I think Halifax).. Grandeur's 9-nighter doesn't go to Quebec but you have good ports and good port times as with Jewel. IMHO if RCI had made the Explorer an 11 night like Constellation and an overnight in Quebec they could have sold it much better. The best ships for this itin are actulaly Sea Princess, Constellation and Eurodam if you are looking for great port time on nice ships IMHO

• 2 weeks later...
The reason so far why the Explore will not becoming in to sydney that the cruiseline wouldn't make enough money of the ships tours to make it worth the stop. It makes a big difference for a ship of this size to stop in a small port like sydney. The explorer holds approx 3200 that would be the biggest ship we would ever have so they made a choice. hope this helps. as of todays date of Jan 23 shes not coming here. :( :confused: :eek:

As of today (Jan. 28) - Sydney is still a scheduled stop from 1-6 p.m. on RCI's web site for Oct. 11.

Caroline, my husband wanted to cruise to Canadian towns and not New England ones, so Jewel and Grandeur were out - even though we loved our Baltic cruise on Jewel. I considered the ships you mentioned, but all cost a lot more than Explorer. We cancelled an Oct. 2008 cruise to Italy on Legend of the Seas due to the desire to not spend that much money this year. The prices on those 3 ships to Canada are higher than for the Italy cruise! I also considered skipping the cruise and flying to Halifax for a land trip - but I can't go from Halifax to Quebec City for the price of this cruise. It will be Explorer or nothing, unless another ship has a great last minute deal - and I think that is unlikely with such a short cruising season in Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived