Vision of the Seas

I got off the Vision of the Seas last Sunday, the 9th. after back-to-back cruises to the Mexican Riviera. I last cruised on her four years ago, to Alaska. The carpets on the stairs are showing wear, but the rest of the ship has been beautifully maintained, and I still appreciated the ambience of the public rooms, especially around the spectacular atrium. The bed in my cabin (#3124) was quite comfortable. Service in the dining room was good, and the food was not too bad, either. Every evening I had a pre-dinner martini in the Crown Lounge, served by friendly staff.

I enjoyed my two weeks on the ship, and didn't even bother to disembark in any of the Mexican ports (having been there several times). For me the ship was the destination itself. The last sea day on both weeks were quite windy with moderate seas, but these seem to be the usual conditions in that area. On these days, the ship pitched quite a bit, with water sloshing out of the outdoor pool. On the other days, she was steady.

Donald.

Like Kapricorn, we just got off the Vision 2 days ago, 12/9. We've sailed on her before when she was brand new, and it was nice to see she was so well maintained.

The food in the dining room was very good, and the Windjammer was good. We missed the omelette station, but were told by the manager there that you just have to ask any waiter, and they will go to the kitchen and have one made for you.

(What I say below is true for most RCCL ships, but this is our experience last week on the Vision.)

Go to the Champagne Bar on Deck 4 before dinner. They had self-serve free caviar there 4 nights. Really good, too!

We spent a lot of time in the Solarium, and the jacuzzis are open 24 hours a day. So, if you have back problems, it's nice to take a soak just before bed.

The live entertainment in the dining room was a nice touch, too. We sat behind the raised piano/musician area, and it was great to hear the music every night.

The spa is very expensive, and even the "specials" were too expensive. However, the sauna and steam rooms are free, and you can get a locker for your clothes and personal belongings by just giving up your seapass card. You get it back when you turn in the locker key. No charge.

The seas going in and out of southern CA are usually a little rough, and the weather cooler in the winter. Take a half Bonine tab and you'll be fine. In Mexico it was fabulous weather: mid-80's.

The rock climbing wall was very popular, if you like that.

The bedding is quite nice and comfy, too.

The live entertainment in the dining room was a nice touch, too. We sat behind the raised piano/musician area, and it was great to hear the music every night.

We must have been only a few tables away - mine was at #148, right beside the Captain's Table. My table had six seats, and I was seated with a couple. The Head Waiter (Amith) told me that people were assigned to the other three seats, but they never showed up - probably decided to dine in Windjammer.

Despite my age, I decided to try the rock climbing wall after nearly two weeks of observing the others. I made it all the way up! It's tough, though, especially on the wrists, and only for those in fit shape.

Donald.

we were on Vision over Haloween and had an incredible cruise...the crew was great, the ship was amazing and the entertainment was good. You definatly need to go see Martin Kaye in the Schooner Bar, and if you do tell him Bryce and Holly from the Halloween cruise said hello!!! We were worried prior to cruising her b/c she was a bit older than the other ships we have been on recently, but Vision is amazing!!! You'll have a great trip

Like Kapricorn, we just got off the Vision 2 days ago, 12/9. We've sailed on her before when she was brand new, and it was nice to see she was so well maintained.

The food in the dining room was very good, and the Windjammer was good. We missed the omelette station, but were told by the manager there that you just have to ask any waiter, and they will go to the kitchen and have one made for you.

(What I say below is true for most RCCL ships, but this is our experience last week on the Vision.)

Go to the Champagne Bar on Deck 4 before dinner. They had self-serve free caviar there 4 nights. Really good, too!

We spent a lot of time in the Solarium, and the jacuzzis are open 24 hours a day. So, if you have back problems, it's nice to take a soak just before bed.

The spa is very expensive, and even the "specials" were too expensive. However, the sauna and steam rooms are free, and you can get a locker for your clothes and personal belongings by just giving up your seapass card. You get it back when you turn in the locker key. No charge.

The seas going in and out of southern CA are usually a little rough, and the weather cooler in the winter. Take a half Bonine tab and you'll be fine. In Mexico it was fabulous weather: mid-80's.

The bedding is quite nice and comfy, too.

We were on the same sailing. The only things I would like to add is that the crew is wonderful and the bedding is beyond nice - it was perfect! The Solarium is a very popular place for adults, expecially on sea days. Get there early (right after breakfast) if you want one of the window seats.

Ok, for all you people that just got off.... have you been on the voyager ships before and did you feel a big difference with how much smaller it is? We are from the east coast and I am considering taking the family on the Mex Riv. cruise for April vacation. So tell me how she really is! Will my 12 and 16 year olds be board? They can usually find something to do. Are there any arcades or anything? We have been on Enchantment twice and loved her. Are they the same class of ships?

Ok, for all you people that just got off.... have you been on the voyager ships before and did you feel a big difference with how much smaller it is? We are from the east coast and I am considering taking the family on the Mex Riv. cruise for April vacation. So tell me how she really is! Will my 12 and 16 year olds be board? They can usually find something to do. Are there any arcades or anything? We have been on Enchantment twice and loved her. Are they the same class of ships?

There is an arcade, rock climbing wall, ping pong tables, shuffleboard, pool, hot tubs, kids allowed in the gym, bingo, trivia games, pool games, internet, board games and I'm sure some sort of video games like xbox in the kids centers. There were movies on the TV and in the theatre that the kids would like. That's all I remember and we were not traveling with kids - so maybe someone with kids could give you more info.

The ship didn't seem small at all to me.

We have taken our kids on the Monarch out of LA (I think she is smaller) and they had a blast!!! They were 8,8, 11, and 15. In 25 days we are taking them on the Vision and they are 9,9, and 13 and I am sure they will have a blast as well. I will certainly let you know:)

The link in my signature is to my Shutterfly albums; the newest is my Hallowe'en cruise on the Vision.

We enjoyed it immensely. She's a great little ship.

Funny, with each successive voyage on RCCL, I've been on a smaller ship! Jewel is my favorite to date, but Vision was still a wonderful trip.

I did miss the "days of the week" in the elevator, though! :)

Yes, I've been on the Explorer, and also Radiance class ships the Splendour and the Brilliance; also the Monarch, Grandeur and Enchantment.

I got the same "feel" from Grandeur and Enchantment on the Vision regarding space and size, but her elegance is like the Splendour and Brilliance, which are truly lovely ships.

Monarch is very small, but they pack everything into that short cruise experience! We really liked that cruise.

On the Vision we had the largest inside cabin (Cat L?????), and it was plenty roomy for two.

The Vision cannot compare size-wise to the Explorer: it's just a whole bunch bigger. But, it's not the size of the ship that matters, it's the amenities and experiences in the ship that count. The Vision has it all, and she is truly a lovely ship, especially in the Solarium.

Kapricorn: we were at table 168 which is against the back wall behind the piano. It was very nice back there: less noise and only our waiter and assistant waiter walking around.

Peggy, the largest inside is a "Category J"--there are only 12 of them--all on Deck 8...172 sf...I know because we had one booked for March until last Friday when I upgraded it (and lowered my cost) to a 195 sf balcony cabin due to a quirky price drop (The balcony guarantees offered right now on my cruise are at a lower price than even the window cabins!)...

As to the comparison with the Monarch, the Vision is only slightly larger (73,941 gross tons for the Monarch, 78491 for the vision)...but the Monarch sails "full" with 2,744 passengers, while the Vision sails with only 2,435...So the Vision is far less crowded...

You people are so helpful. We have been on alot cruises, but for some reason I am skeptical about the MR. Maybe because I am use to my comfort zone in the E/W Carib. I need to explore more. My kids are pretty easily amused, just wondering if they will think it is small because of being on EOA and VOS. I love the smaller ships myself. I loved the Enchantment before the stretched her.

I think this is going to take some serious contemplation on my part. Thanks all for your thoughts and opinions. Just trying to find out as much as possible before I spring it on DH. I heard there is a "club" going the same time we do, but that does not bother me. They will be about 1/2 the ship though.

Kapricorn: we were at table 168 which is against the back wall behind the piano. It was very nice back there: less noise and only our waiter and assistant waiter walking around.

I know the area of #168, as I've passed it nightly on the way to my table. During the first week I was at #7 on the upper level. It was right beside the curved window, so it was the same situation as #168, with just the waiter and assistant waiter walking around us.

Donald.

Thank U 4 sharing your photos. I'll be cruising Jan. 6, 2008 on VOS. My 1st cruise and 1st time to Mexico, so all your pics are truly appreciated. As a budding photog I'll be sure to have my travel pics posted after I return. So stay tuned. ;)

-Renee-

Peggy, the largest inside is a "Category J"--there are only 12 of them--all on Deck 8...172 sf...I know because we had one booked for March until last Friday when I upgraded it (and lowered my cost) to a 195 sf balcony cabin due to a quirky price drop (The balcony guarantees offered right now on my cruise are at a lower price than even the window cabins!)...

As to the comparison with the Monarch, the Vision is only slightly larger (73,941 gross tons for the Monarch, 78491 for the vision)...but the Monarch sails "full" with 2,744 passengers, while the Vision sails with only 2,435...So the Vision is far less crowded...

OK, then ours was just a "large", because it was a Cat L.

It's funny that the Vision is only slightly larger than the Monarch, because the Monarch feels so much smaller. It's the design, and the Monarch doesn't have the HUGE windows that the Vision does. Enjoy your cruise, Steve!

Archived