Recent Qantas experience to and from Australia/New Zealand

jagoffee

I am looking for feedback from any recent Qantas travelers to/from Australia/New Zealand. Did Qantas "offer" special gate discounts for upgrades to Business Class? If yes, what was the cost?

It was my understanding that this has been done in the past assuming seats are available.

Thank you.

I am looking for feedback from any recent Qantas travelers to/from Australia/New Zealand. Did Qantas "offer" special gate discounts for upgrades to Business Class? If yes, what was the cost?

It was my understanding that this has been done in the past assuming seats are available.

I am not aware of this ever happening (although I am certainly not saying saying that it hasn't or won't).

In my experience, any business class seats that might be available are allocated at no cost to frequent flyers or full fare paying passengers or staff (and not necessarily in that order) ... these lucky people are simply bumped up to the pointy end of the plane.

In any case, I think the odds of an upgrade on a Sydney/Auckland flight are not that great anyway ... QF uses a 767 on that route I think, so only about 5 rows of business class seats.

Cheers

Bob

I am not aware of this ever happening (although I am certainly not saying saying that it hasn't or won't).

In my experience, any business class seats that might be available are allocated at no cost to frequent flyers or full fare paying passengers or staff (and not necessarily in that order) ... these lucky people are simply bumped up to the pointy end of the plane.

In any case, I think the odds of an upgrade on a Sydney/Auckland flight are not that great anyway ... QF uses a 767 on that route I think, so only about 5 rows of business class seats.

Cheers

Bob

Less chance again on Brisbane Auckland as they are usually 737s. Us Qantas FFs stand a better chance of winning the lotto than securing a gate upgrade (and we supposedly have priority) so I'd be expecting to be sitting down the back with the rest of us, sorry:)

pete

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. We are flying into Melbourne and the plane is a 747-400, so it has a lot of business class seats. It does make sense that the seats would go to the frequent flyers. I have a lot of miles on American, but I was unable to upgrade using miles since it is a Qantas flight and despite my continued effort, I was not able to obtain either first class or business class eats using AA miles. I do have seats in row 70 on the right side of the plane.

I know that I would not be able to get a free upgrade, but I was hoping that I could purchase one at a reduce rate. I do not know where I had previously read that this might be offerered. I know two years ago, this was offered on a ATN flight to Tahitia. Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part. I just could not justify the extra expense to purchase the business class seat, it was about 5K more per person. Probably related to time of year that I am traveling. (end of January). I suspect that the flight may have returning vacationers from Australia.

I will just need to deal with the very long flight in coach.

Thanks, again.

We are flying into Melbourne and the plane is a 747-400, so it has a lot of business class seats. It does make sense that the seats would go to the frequent flyers. I have a lot of miles on American, but I was unable to upgrade using miles since it is a Qantas flight and despite my continued effort, I was not able to obtain either first class or business class eats using AA miles.
I'd be very surprised if there were many business class seats "left over" by the time of departure. The trans-Pacific routes are very lucrative for Qantas - particularly Sydney-LA, which is sometimes said to account for 25% of the airline's profits.

If there are "left over" seats, they will usually go to Qantas frequent flyers who are paying (handsomely) with points for an award upgrade. Qantas doesn't usually give out freebie upgrades on these routes as there is more than enough competition for the seats from people who are prepared to pay, one way or another, and wait until departure to find out whether they have got an upgrade. It is very difficult to get a confirmed award seat in business class on these routes, even if you're using Qantas points.

Thank you.

I don't think Qantas does this at all. Business class is likey to be full. As Globaliser said its a very busy route for Qantas.

I've only ever been offered an upgrade twice - once when economy was "overbooked" and I was a gold class frequent flyer from Frankfurt. The other time was coming back from a conference in Wellington NZ and there were about 2000 people trying to fly back to Sydney at once - they asked if we would take a later flight via Auckland we could have Business Class. I couldn't say no to that - we ended up only getting in about 45 mins later.

Hi, there are economy and business seats available on most flights end Jan (Auckland-Melb) but Aussies are hopeless fr booking holidays late so that can change. I'd ask when you get there if there are any upgrades available. Can't hurt to ask. Dress nicely and be friendly. You won't get an upgrade wearing jeans for example. It sometimes works. If they say no ask if you can purchase one and what would the cost be. I don't think it will be discounted though. Upgrades usually only happen if the plane is oversold. Most are oversold to account for no shows. If everyone turns up you get bumped if you are the last to check in. If you are near to last you'll get upgraded. Luck of the draw really on free upgrades. I know you were talking about paying but it's food for thought. Good luck.

Thank you to everyone for the information and feedback. We will make the best of whatever happens. Looking forward to getting out of the snowy/cold weather.

I'll agree with that for sure!!! The weather part & hoping the flight will take care of itself. :D :cool:

Anyhow it is only a three and a half hour flight from Melbourne to Auckland so not really worth the effort of paying extra for the privilege of being in Business Class. If it was on a long haul flight, then it would be worth it.

We Qantas F.F.'s usually take up the Business Class section as we don't need a huge amount of points to upgrade when we fly over to N.Z.

Jennie

This is just a general Qantas question for those of you who are experienced Qantas fliers.

I am flying QA next month LAX-SYD in economy on a 747-400

Does QA board their flights from the back to the front or vice versa?

I have a seat in the back and wonder how far from the gate I should stray.

Would like to get on early and just go to sleep. <G>

TIA.

Jim

Qantas does load the passengers in Economy from the back to the front, so you should go on first. When we travel economy we always sit at the back of the plane in the last 4 rows where the seats are only 2 at the side and we always get on first.

One needs to anyhow, as the lockers at the end of the plane often are full with items that the crew needs, so if you have bags to stow up top, you need to find an empty locker.

Jennie

Thanks Jennie:

That's just what I wanted to hear.

My seat, both ways, is in those last 4 rows and I will only have a very small carry-on with ear plugs, book, inflating neck pillow, etc. Big checked bag, though.

One other question, where do they keep the blankets and pillows as I would like to grab those as I'm heading to the back?

Jim

Jennie:

WOW!

That's great service.

As I'm a solo traveler, will there be a good-looking, unattached young lady in the seat next to me? <GG>

What am I smoking?

Thanks for the good information.

Really looking forward to being a tourist in your country for a few weeks. Will be on a tour to Cairnes, Alice, Melbourne, Sydney, then hop over to Christchurch and Auckland.

Jim

Jim,

You might strike it lucky and have a good looking unattached young lady next to you!

Enjoy your time in our wonderful country and I hope you return home with many happy memories. You certainly will be seeing a lot of contrasts whilst here.

Jennie

I do agree with Globaliser. We have always found our cushions and blankets on our seats when flying out of Australia to Europe. That is normal for us.

I received the biggest shock when I first flew in the U.S. 18 months ago. The planes were old, the air flight attendants should have been retired and the service was nil. We were flying 1st Class by the way so I hate to think what it would have been like down the back.

We alternate between Economy and Business Class to Europe and we are still treated well down the back of the plane, especially on Singapore Airlines which besides all the other amenities and first class service have movies on demand and have been having these for a few years. A wonderful invention.

Jennie

Thanks Globaliser and Jennie:

My QA flight will be a welcome respite from the US flying which I normally am doing.

It will be nice to experience flight attendants who are professional in their attitude toward the passengers.

Something that is sadly lacking in US domestic flying.

Jim

Our experience (albeit Brisbane/LAX) in September this year (and Aug/Oct last) is that business had quite a few spare seats - a lovely chap called Maurice (kennex) who often posts on these boards works for Qantas and is very helpful - if you could track him down he may well be able to give you more info - hope it works out....

Jane

• 3 weeks later...

I have just returned from LA on QF 26, last week.

Row 70 is up near the back...I was in 39 near the front of the wing. As Jen said they do board back to front.

The LA to Auckland section was only 3/4 full. Had a spare seat next to me. Auckland to Melbourne was very full.

Ended up having breakfast twice!! Economy class was reasonably comfortable, movies on demand in the back of every seat. Not that you use it much, most of the time on that flight you will be sleeping.

We did not board the plane from the gate, we were bussed out to the plane on the other side of the airport. Added another half an hour to departure.

Jim, I hope you enjoy your flight.

Karen

No, that's just normal for the rest of the world! Not for nothing are US airlines sometimes referred to as "third world airlines". ;)

A little unfair Globaliser, US Air and American provided both blankets and pillows on recent transatlantic flights. :) You had to pay for booze though.:mad:

I have just returned from LA on QF 26, last week.

Row 70 is up near the back...I was in 39 near the front of the wing. As Jen said they do board back to front.

The LA to Auckland section was only 3/4 full. Had a spare seat next to me. Auckland to Melbourne was very full.

Ended up having breakfast twice!! Economy class was reasonably comfortable, movies on demand in the back of every seat. Not that you use it much, most of the time on that flight you will be sleeping.

We did not board the plane from the gate, we were bussed out to the plane on the other side of the airport. Added another half an hour to departure.

Jim, I hope you enjoy your flight.

Karen

Could you please tell me if economy seats have power plugs.

Thank you

Archived