Make 9:45am flight out of Puerto Rico??

oceanview585

My sister just received notification that after getting off Crown in Jan her flight was moved up to 9:45am. (previously was 11:45) Is this doable? Should she get Princess transportation or just try to arrange to get off in first group if possible? Is there a taxi cue or is it a free for all to get a taxi? How far to airport? Thanks for any advice.

My sister just received notification that after getting off Crown in Jan her flight was moved up to 9:45am. (previously was 11:45) Is this doable? Should she get Princess transportation or just try to arrange to get off in first group if possible? Is there a taxi cue or is it a free for all to get a taxi? How far to airport? Thanks for any advice.

It might be doable if all the stars align correctly, everything goes 100% smoothly, and you don't have to deal with huge lines at the airport, but 9:45 is extremely tight given that you should be there 60-90 min before flight time. I've flown out of San Juan on several occasions, and the TSA lines there can get pretty long, not to mention the check-in lines (unless you have elite status with your particular airline). If I were you I wouldn't put myself under that kind of pressure the last day of your vacation.

If the airline is the one that changed your flight itinerary, they should reschedule you once at no fee, so I would at least call them and see what else they have available that day.

I agree! The security lines in PR are awful. And if the ship isn't given clearance for dismebarkation on time (happened to the previous cruisers on our Crown cruise - people were still dismebarking at 1:00 PM because they couldn't get customs clearance early) she'll never make it.

It took us over half an hour to just check in with our airline at the PR airport ( using the self serve kiosk, no less). Then the security line took another 45 minutes.

If it were me, I'd ask the airline to reschedule a later flight.

The easiest thig is to get a cab yourself at the airport. If you use Princess for transfers, you have to wait for them to fill up an entire bus - not very time effective in a hurry.

Can't see any way this would be doable... Disembarkation likely won't start until 8:30, and the comments about how slow security is in San Juan are understatements. They are horribly slow!!

Also given that you are supposed to show up 90 minutes or more before boarding I don't think it can be done.

I don't think there's a chance to make a 9:45AM flight from San Juan. Your

best bet is to stay a day or two in San Juan after the cruise and then you can make an early flight out. The San Juan airport is probably the worst arport you can fly in or out of. I have gone on several cruises from San Juan and have vowed NEVER AGAIN. Whatever you must do, lots of luck. :rolleyes:

Well I guess I will be the only one that supports this.

We have had a 9:40 flight on 2 different cruises in San Juan and made it with self disembarkation both times with plenty of time to spare.....however do plan on spending the night if necessary as any and I mean any delay they will miss that flight but it is very doable. :)

Take a cab. $18.

Grab a cab--forget about waiting on or in a bus for the airport--our last morning trip from the pier to the airport couldn't have been easier or faster--cab driven was right there and drove rapidly--a porter found us took our luggage all the way--past that agriculture group--went directly up to the counter--left our bags--and we left him a great tip--never been so fast--the only problem was John who felt he needed to get his photo taken with Miss Puerto Rico

Nancy:D

He he. A fantasy football buddy of mine is actually married to a former Miss PR. I keep trying to get myself invited to their parties......

Sorry about that.

Back to the subject at hand: possibly doable but probably not the best of ideas. If at all possible, reschedule for a later flight.

I agree with Colo Cruiser.

Two separate families on my SJ cruise last month (also from CC) made it.

1) you must self-disembark. That means take all your own luggage with you. Generally you get off the ship right after it is cleared from customs, usually 7am.

2) take a taxi from the pier to the airport.

We were in the first group of regular disemarkers, got off at 8.30am, caught taxi at 8.45am and were checked in by 9.15am. Very few lines at the airport that early in the morning.

But the only way for this to work is for you to self disembark and be there 15-30 minutes before the time they tell you to be there - you really want to be the first ones off.

Realize that by doing this, there still is a chance you will miss the flight but I think your chances will be pretty high.

John

I agree with Colo Cruiser.

Two separate families on my SJ cruise last month (also from CC) made it.

1) you must self-disembark. That means take all your own luggage with you. Generally you get off the ship right after it is cleared from customs, usually 7am.

2) take a taxi from the pier to the airport.

We were in the first group of regular disemarkers, got off at 8.30am, caught taxi at 8.45am and were checked in by 9.15am. Very few lines at the airport that early in the morning.

But the only way for this to work is for you to self disembark and be there 15-30 minutes before the time they tell you to be there - you really want to be the first ones off.

Realize that by doing this, there still is a chance you will miss the flight but I think your chances will be pretty high.

John

I don't think the "usual" disembarkation start is at 7:00AM but can easily be 8:00AM. Then, you have to get off, get to the airport, check in, go through Security, and be on time for boarding. You need to be checked in at least an hour before your flight which means you'd have to be checked in no later than 8:45AM. Some airlines will not allow you to check in your luggage if you're any later than 60 minutes before boarding.

Yes, it's possible, but everything would have to go perfectly to make it.

I don't think the "usual" disembarkation start is at 7:00AM but can easily be 8:00AM.

I don't know what the "usual" disembarkation time is (I've only cruised the Caribbean once) but I do know that one couple had done it twice and both times they got off at 7am or shortly thereafter. The walkoffs get off at the first possible opportunity, everyone else waits until the luggage is offloaded. For example, the walkoffs were off at 7am last month, no one else left until 8.15am.

Of course there is a risk, as I stated. But based on what I have heard, I would probably try it, knowing I would not make it.

John

I do not think this flight is possible. If the airline changed this flight contact them immediately.

Do a search on line for "passenger contract of carriage" and find your airlines contract, this is usually in PDF form, print it out and read -- usually rule #200 that states what they can and can't do and what the cost is.

Many people don't know about this. The airlines can not just make a change and expect you to love it. If you don't they have to accommodate you. Of course this does not apply if act of nature or terror. Sure they make you believe that you have no rights but you do!

I don't know what the "usual" disembarkation time is (I've only cruised the Caribbean once) but I do know that one couple had done it twice and both times they got off at 7am or shortly thereafter. The walkoffs get off at the first possible opportunity, everyone else waits until the luggage is offloaded. For example, the walkoffs were off at 7am last month, no one else left until 8.15am.

Of course there is a risk, as I stated. But based on what I have heard, I would probably try it, knowing I would not make it.

Whether you're self-disembarking or not, no one is allowed to leave the ship until it's cleared. While some might have been able to walk off at 7AM, that in no way means that's usual or should be expected. I've disembarked in San Juan (although it was several years ago) and as I remember, disembarkation didn't start until at least 8AM. I've been on several cruises where disembarkation was delayed and people were screaming and crying that they HAD to get off. Absolutely no dice. No clearance, no disembarkation.

John

Did the couple you're referring to sail on Princess?

We've sailed 3 times out of San Juan with Princess, the last two being on the Crown in 11/06 and 3/07 and disembarkation started at 8:20 am the first time and 8:05 am on our last sailing. Self disembarkation was not the first groups off either time, there were no walk-offs. On our last sailing they were very strict about you showing the end of the luggage tag called to get off with the color they called. The person in front of us tried to get off in our group and was turned back. We were in the first group both times and this last time we were off, through customs and at the airport shortly before 9 am. We had a very short line have to check in we were flying business class with American and took advantage of the special security line as well. We did make a 10:35 am flight this last time but I can tell you that we were not in American's lounge long before we were called for boarding.

9:45 is cutting it very close. Everything has to be in perfect order so that the flight is made. Anything gets delayed, from disembarkation times to finding your luggage to traffic and you may not make it. If it was me rather than be stressed I would push for a later flight.

Archived