CHEAP FLIGHTS TO ALASKA - grab 'em quick!!

TenerifeSharon

Continental has fantastic prices on flights from MIA (Miami) to ANC (Anchorage) -- maybe from other airports as well. I didn't go into the possibilities too thoroughly, because I wanted to get this posted FAST.

$237 round trip including all taxes!!

I spotted dates throughout the summer at this price. Grab 'em fast.:D

Who knows but someone somewhere must of made Continental mad that they did that on the Miami to Anchorage route for the whole summer. Makes me think that maybe Alaska Air did something because they have a Miami, Seattle, Anchorage flight. But then again, it will be one of those here right now, gone in a minute!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Yes that's the only route on sale - Miami to Anchorage via Houston by Continental for that great rate and that's according to a travel agent here in town that he posted to his email distribution list! Also, one from Atlanta up but on that one you had to travel by March 8th.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I haven't tried to price it, but the rules say that you can have two free stops in Seatle, Houston, Newark or Portland.

A somewhat similar fare (well $400 round trip) was to be had a few months ago from New York to Anchorage with free stops en route. I locked into that since it was also with NW and I could stop in Minneapolis both ways.

NOTE - if you have any plans to go to BOTH Miami and Anchorage in the next year and live in one of those cities that are allowed as a stop, this fare could work well for you.

John

Looks like the party is over. The fare is no longer on most if not all websites anymore.

Note - contrary to many theories stated on this board and "cruise air" this special was first published about 2pm this afternoon. Not on a Tuesday, not at midnight, etc, etc. Great fares can and do come at any time of the day on any day of the week and usually don't last long.

John

GMoney, Just curious.....if you don't mind where are you in NC? We also live in NC and the flights are really "sky high" right now. I have tried going out of Clt and RDU. Myra

Hello Neighbor...:)

I'm in Raleigh.

Last summer I got a very good fare on Delta for about $429. I left mid August and returned mid Sept, but it was a multi city flight (RDU > ANC going, YVR > RDU returning).

Since then, I've been looking all the time for just RDU > ANC and back. The lowest I've seen was $600. It went up to $700+, and now it's back down a bit. CLT seems to be a bit cheaper.

To take advantage of that Continental fare, I even thought about flying from GSO to FT Myers via Skybus (because they are dirt cheap), and then driving to MIA. Then I decided I was trying just a bit too hard. :)

GMoney,

Yes, we are neighbors.....I have been looking for the very same flights..RDU-ANC and YVR-Rdu or either CLT. We are one and a half hours out either way. I usually find the flights from CLT are about $100 more than elsewhere. I really want the Delta flight to arrive in Anc at 2pm or so. Will keep watching. Please let me know if you find a deal. I am spoiled by the great deal I found for the Med and back. $819 RT. RDU to NY to IST then Bcn to NY TO RDU. Fabulous on Delta.

I am hoping that Jan. and Feb. will see a bit of a drop but maybe not for my high travel month of July - Aug. Thanks for all your great information on Alaska. Myra

GMoney,

Yes, we are neighbors.....I have been looking for the very same flights..RDU-ANC and YVR-Rdu or either CLT. We are one and a half hours out either way. I usually find the flights from CLT are about $100 more than elsewhere. I really want the Delta flight to arrive in Anc at 2pm or so. Will keep watching. Please let me know if you find a deal. I am spoiled by the great deal I found for the Med and back. $819 RT. RDU to NY to IST then Bcn to NY TO RDU. Fabulous on Delta.

I am hoping that Jan. and Feb. will see a bit of a drop but maybe not for my high travel month of July - Aug. Thanks for all your great information on Alaska. Myra

I'll pass along anything I see. Be sure to also go to http://www.farecompare.com and sign up for alerts on when fares from your airports to ANC drop.

I'll pass along anything I see. Be sure to also go to www.farecompare.com and sign up for alerts on when fares from your airports to ANC drop.

Hey Myra - Keep an eye on fares from CLT to ANC on Delta. The dates I've been lookin at in mid June have dropped about $75 to $464. It's a 2-stopper, but still pretty good...

Patrick and Myra---Welcome NC neighbors, I'm from Durham and planning an August cruise beginning in Anchorage. I've found pricing around $600 total for airfare by going thru Seattle. I am using Southwest April pricing as they only go out that far now. Alaska Air is around $200 one way to ANC and Southwest round trip around $400. Problem being tickets can't be purchased for a while and they may go up. Of course I have to go from Vancouver to Seattle on the return but I plan on spending at least one day in the area so not a problem with schedule. I have found on another thread transfers for this. Happy planning to you and have a great trip. Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Hello other NC Alaska cruisers!

I am just starting to plan my August trip, and in searching for airfare I found this thread. I am looking at $700 per person, 1-stop each way, RDU to ANC and YVR to RDU. Just curious what others found for airfare pricing? I can't decide if this is too early to purchase.

Thanks!

Jennifer

I bought Delta thru Salt Lake City to ANC and Seattle to RDU coming back. I paid even $600 each, leaving SEA at 8:30, could have saved a little over $50 by leaving at 6 but bit the bullet so we could sleep a little longer. I think this is still available if you're still interested. Both are one stops. I do think however the Seattle trip could be bought for $99 internet price if bought when Southwest first comes out with the schedule, I'm going in mid August so they do not have it scheduled yet. It would have saved abut $150 each if the time had been right. Delta flies non stop to SLC and direct to ANC if you want to price it as a one way and the other on Southwest. I could have gotten it for earlier flights. Hope this helps.

I bought Delta thru Salt Lake City to ANC and Seattle to RDU coming back. I paid even $600 each, leaving SEA at 8:30, could have saved a little over $50 by leaving at 6 but bit the bullet so we could sleep a little longer. I think this is still available if you're still interested. Both are one stops. I do think however the Seattle trip could be bought for $99 internet price if bought when Southwest first comes out with the schedule, I'm going in mid August so they do not have it scheduled yet. It would have saved abut $150 each if the time had been right. Delta flies non stop to SLC and direct to ANC if you want to price it as a one way and the other on Southwest. I could have gotten it for earlier flights. Hope this helps.

Hi All, I so wanted to take that Delta flight through SLC to Anc but was still hoping that the prices will drop. It gets to anc early in the afternoon and I was hoping for that. United also has good flight getting in early afternoon so I am still watching everyday. Myra

I bought my tickets on tuesday. $442 each. we will be flying RDU to Seattle and renting a car to drive up to Vancouver. flying home ANC to RDU

This is for a late May cruise. I was very happy with the price on American Airlines.

Since people are posting their flight prices:

May 1-11 New York-Minneapolis-Anchorage-Minneapolis-New York including stops in both directions in Minneapolis $407 (booked last August).

Jul 1-11 Minneapolis to Gustavus (Glacier Bay) to Juneau to Wrangell to Minneapolis $20 tax for first class ticket (using miles on two different airlines).

Nov 6-15 central MN to Sitka, returning from Juneau to central MN, return in first class $10 tax (using miles). Figure $110 additional for Sitka to Juneau one way for a purchased ticket.

My best advice? Apply for a Citibank PremierPass Elite card. Costs $85/year. You get 15K bonus Thank You Points for applying. Charge $5k more in your own spending. That is 20K points. Then be creative to figure out how to get these 20K points "matched" with Flight Points so you get 40K Thank You Points.

40K Thank You Points = two tickets valued at up to $400 each (actually about $450 in value since they only give you the base $400 for free, you pay about $50 in taxes for each ticket). So two people can travel to Alaska and back for roughly $185 ($50 tax x 2 plus $85 annual fee) by charging just $5k to this card!

John

Since people are posting their flight prices:

May 1-11 New York-Minneapolis-Anchorage-Minneapolis-New York including stops in both directions in Minneapolis $407 (booked last August).

Jul 1-11 Minneapolis to Gustavus (Glacier Bay) to Juneau to Wrangell to Minneapolis $20 tax for first class ticket (using miles on two different airlines).

Nov 6-15 central MN to Sitka, returning from Juneau to central MN, return in first class $10 tax (using miles). Figure $110 additional for Sitka to Juneau one way for a purchased ticket.

My best advice? Apply for a Citibank PremierPass Elite card. Costs $85/year. You get 15K bonus Thank You Points for applying. Charge $5k more in your own spending. That is 20K points. Then be creative to figure out how to get these 20K points "matched" with Flight Points so you get 40K Thank You Points.

40K Thank You Points = two tickets valued at up to $400 each (actually about $450 in value since they only give you the base $400 for free, you pay about $50 in taxes for each ticket). So two people can travel to Alaska and back for roughly $185 ($50 tax x 2 plus $85 annual fee) by charging just $5k to this card!

John

I am little confused how to double the points from 20k to 40K. Can you elaborate?

I am little confused how to double the points from 20k to 40K. Can you elaborate?

With the Citi PremierPass Elite card, they will "match" your purchase points with "flight points." Think of flight points as frequent flyer miles - if you purchase a ticket that flies New York to Atlanta to Los Angeles and back, that is about 6,000 miles round trip. So they credit you with 6,000 flight points. So just charge one flight on your credit card (the flight can be for anyone flying anywhere at any time) and you begin earning flight points. Even if you refund the airline ticket, you still get the flight points. They don't take them away. Catch? You only get as many flight points transferred to Thank You Points as you have Purchase Points. Go to citicards.com and look for this card then read all the fine print. It is all there but understand before purchasing :)

Archived