Parent's First Cruise

Swimfly

DH & I are taking both of our parents on a cruise. It is my parents first cruise and his parents second. His parents are insisting on an interior lower deck room. My parents don't have an opinion. Dh and I will absolutely have an upper level balcony room. A couple of questions:

1) Should we book my parents a balcony? (I'm worried DHs parents will be upset that they will be the only interior. We don't really care about the additional expense of all three)

2) How much water are we allowed to bring on board if traveling with 6 people?

3) Should our parents test motion sickness meds ahead of time?

4) What would be easier early boarding/disembarkment? Later?

5) We are booking through Costco travel where they indicated they couldn't link us for dinner. The cruise line indicated I could make a request once on board. What's the likelihood we will be able to dine together? Has anyone had trouble with seating?

6) My mom enjoys hot tea before bed. Will this be difficult to arrange?

Any other insight is greatly appreciated.

Here are answers to your questions.

1) Should we book my parents a balcony? (I'm worried DHs parents will be upset that they will be the only interior. We don't really care about the additional expense of all three)

Another thought is to get them an ocenview room. (eg,. a window without a balcony).

2) How much water are we allowed to bring on board if traveling with 6 people?

There is no limit on how much bottled water you want to bring on the ship within reason.

3) Should our parents test motion sickness meds ahead of time?

Yes, I think that something like Bonine is a good idea but they should test it out well ahead of the cruise. Not sure the age or the health of the parents. If there are health issues you might want to consult with their doctors office.

4) What would be easier early boarding/disembarkment? Later?

Are you asking what time to arrive to board the ship. If so, it does get crowded early on but there is usually seating available.

5) We are booking through Costco travel where they indicated they couldn't link us for dinner. The cruise line indicated I could make a request once on board. What's the likelihood we will be able to dine together? Has anyone had trouble with seating?

I don't understand why they can't link your reservations. I would ask them again. I wouldn't wait because it might be a problem waiting till you board. This is an easy request. If you haven't booked the cruise yet and they won't do this for you find a travel agency who will.

6) My mom enjoys hot tea before bed. Will this be difficult to arrange?

You can order room service and get tea for her.

Any other insight is greatly appreciated.

What cruise line are you going on?

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

There shouldn't be any problem linking all of you together for dinner. We have booked and traveled twice with another couple and both times the TA made sure we ate together.

On our upcoming cruise we are linked with two other couples who sailed with us last Jan. One of the women booked directly with Celebrity and called customer service to arrange it--no problem. Since you are booked and traveling together you should insist on the dinner linking. It should have been done automatically.

• 4 weeks later...

You really won't need to bring water--the ship's water is perfectly fine--actually purer than bottled water! You room attendant will supply ice twice daily, so a cold glass of water is always at hand.

My parents, too, like interior rooms--they simply don't want or care about a balcony! I'd save my money and book what they're happy with!

People, like animals, get used to the 'flavor' of certain waters. Sometime cats will stop drinking for a bit after they are moved to a new location. 'Pure' water is distilled water, having a bad taste to most people. Flat.

The taste of water, excluding the elements put in to kill vermon, is taken from the minerals, which are local.

So having purer water might not be what some people are after.

I always thougth the aim of a cruise experience was to make the individual happy and not to imply that they should enjoy what someone else does.

• 3 weeks later...

After 12 cruises under our belt, this is my 2 cents worth:

Interior cabins on lower decks amidships make one less prone to sea-sickness, than a higher deck (think physics!). On the sea-sickness issue, meds aren't very helpful once you're already queasy. One needs to take them before even getting on board. I use Sea-Bands and ginger pills for extra insurance, never got sick yet, despite some pretty rough sailings.

I have no idea how much water to bring on board. I'd just order it anytime in the buffet or wherever. But I never drink the bottled stuff! Just my opinion, but the only people it benefits is the bottling company...:D

Your TA should definitely be able to get you all seated together for dinner, insist on it strongly!

Room Service will get your Mom a cup of tea anytime!

• 3 weeks later...
DH & I are taking both of our parents on a cruise. It is my parents first cruise and his parents second. His parents are insisting on an interior lower deck room. My parents don't have an opinion. Dh and I will absolutely have an upper level balcony room. A couple of questions:

Does your DH have any insight into his parents and their request for an interior room? It would be helpful to find out if this is truly the kind of room they prefer, or are they just not wanting you to spend the extra money. They have been on a cruise, so they are aware of the costs involved. I can fully understand you wanting to give each of them the same level of accomodations. Having one set of parents in an inside and one in a balcony is a big difference.

I would go to them with a ship layout. Show them which cabins you and your parents will be trying to get. Show them some close by options to your cabins. Tell them you would love for them to be near you, however, you want them happy. See how they respond. Try to read what they really are trying to say. If you really conclude that the lower interior is their first choice, then I guess that is what you have to go with. As long as they know that you really want them to have a balcony, I guess you have done your part. Good luck...this good get sticky!

Good advice from Vbmom re the cabin type and location, so I'll address sea sickness meds. I would definitely make sure that your parents test their sea sickness meds well before the cruise. Some people will say to take it the night before - but what if it causes side effects? Will you have time the day of the cruise to buy a different medication? Or will you be busy flying to your port city?

Also, if they have any medical issues or take any other medications, I suggest they discuss with their doctors which type of preventative medication to take. Many are OTC, but that doesn't mean they won't interact or cause problems! Older people, like kids, metabolize drugs differently than those of you in the "middle years" (20 to 60!). I would definitely avoid the scopalamine patches (which are prescription only)because of the nasty side effects (blindness, kidney faiilure, etc) which could occur more often in older people.

Finally, as another poster mentioned, these sea sickness meds (like Bonine, which is meclizine, & Dramamine, which is dimenhydrinate, or even Benadryl) are only preventatives. Once you do become ill, see the ship's doctor for treatment medications (like phenergan or Zofran).

Have a wonderful cruise with your parents!

Archived