Don't Be Late

Susan-M

I just noticed that Celebrity has posted a new alert on their website re "New Government Regulations."

Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or they will not be permitted to sail.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000s_MNF6r8ugRRHnBWQjo02ux:12hdebebp?pagename=boarding_your_ship

This is actually very interesting in our case. Our cruise documents say not to try to board the ship before 1:30pm. Sailing is at 4:30pm. So that leaves only a 90 minute window between 1:30pm and 3:00pm (90 minutes before departure) to load 2500 passengers onto the Constellation.

Do you think that they will let us on before the stated time of 1:30 in our documents?

This is actually very interesting in our case. Our cruise documents say not to try to board the ship before 1:30pm. Sailing is at 4:30pm. So that leaves only a 90 minute window between 1:30pm and 3:00pm (90 minutes before departure) to load 2500 passengers onto the Constellation.

Do you think that they will let us on before the stated time of 1:30 in our documents?

We are usually on board by the noon feeding frenzy.:D

Our TA said that the Celebrity standard practice has been for the travel documents is to list a boarding time of 3 hours prior to sailing. We are leaving San Juan on the Galaxy at 10pm and the boarding time is listed as 7pm. She said we should have no trouble boarding between 4 and 5pm as we are planning to tour old San Juan in the afternoon prior to boarding. I wonder what other folks experience has been???

So...I guess this means the ship wont wait for groups on late flights?

Sometimes they will wait, but it's best not to rely on the fact that they will wait. It usually depends on how many passengers are delayed, whether those delayed passengers booked cruise air, tide schedules, fees for staying late in port, whether the delay will cause them to be late for their next port, if waiting will keep another ship from leaving, etc.

Sometimes they will wait, but it's best not to rely on the fact that they will wait. It usually depends on how many passengers are delayed, whether those delayed passengers booked cruise air, tide schedules, fees for staying late in port, whether the delay will cause them to be late for their next port, if waiting will keep another ship from leaving, etc.

But will the new regulations allow the same flexibity that they've had in the past ... it seems pretty definite in their alert when they say that: " All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or they will not be permitted to sail.":confused:

Our group always gets to the port by 12pm and we have never had to wait in line. We get there at 12pm when the ship leaves port at 4,5,6, or 11pm. Never have we had a problem. If you want to tour San Juan, check in first to get it out of the way, then go enjoy the city. If you try to tour the city prior to embarkment, it will be on your mind! That is my advice. Laurie

Apparently this is only for those that did not do an online check-in

When you check-in on line you supply all the required information including security info such as passport numbers etc. This give the government time to check you out.

Checking in at the pier they need the extra 90-minutes to check your passport or other ID used.

This is my guess of why the change

Hi Maya,

The notice mentions that you need to be there two hours ahead if you haven't done the on-line check in:

"If you have not completed Online Check-in, you will be required to complete this process at the pier two hours prior to the published sailing time.".

But will the new regulations allow the same flexibity that they've had in the past ... it seems pretty definite in their alert when they say that: " All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or they will not be permitted to sail.":confused:

Then they better get their cr*p together. We bought transfers from Newark to Cape Liberty for a Journey cruise booked under Celebrity. For the upteenth time they sent a regular van instead of the GUARENTEED accessible with ramp or lift van. Then we waited for a late flight. They never made it and we barely had time to drop our bags, grab our life vests and we were sailing. We were 20 minutes from the port waiting for over 2 hours for a van. We should have had a relaxing glass of wine while we checked out our wonderful huge cabin and a map of the ship and put some things in the safe and hang the garment bag things. We tend to fly in the night before just to avoid rushing.

This requires a lot of thought.

If read literally, no ship will be permitted to sail if one or more "guests" (presumably a "guest" is a fully booked and paid passenger) are "not onboard ship." Does that mean that the ship cannot sail at all if one fully booked and ticketed person simply decides to stay home and not sail?

Hi Walt,

Good point...."they" refers to "all guests".:eek: I think a change in wording is in order.:)

So do I.

Another reading says that if a guest checks in and is a bit slow in boarding so (s)he boards 89 minutes before sailing time, the ship "will not be permitted to sail."

Does that mean the cruise must be canceled?

What about at ports of call in the USA such as Key West or Alaskan ports? This rule says the cruise will be canceled if a guest overstays his/her time in the Hemingway House and is late reboarding the ship.

I think the intention is that if you aren't processed in and haven't boarded by 90 minutes before sailing, you run the risk of being denied boarding even if the ship is still in port. My question is, why can't they just say that?

I think it will be the same as on air lines.

All passengers on board must have been there 90 minute prior to departure (ships), 30 minutes? for airlines. Remember the news about the lady who got tasered when objecting to the fact that the airplane was still there but the airline would not let her board because she missed "the time portal".

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2007-09-30-airportarrest_N.htm

My question is, why can't they just say that?

Because someone at Celebrity is having a lot of fun writing rules that can be interpreted several different ways? :D

To reassure those who like to board and then leave to explore before sailing, this is from their FAQ section:

(Q)Once I've checked in, can I leave the ship until it sails?

(A)Yes, you may disembark the ship as long as you return no later than one hour before departure.

We always do online check-in. It is so much easier to sit at your computer without time constraints and fill out the info at your leisure. My advice is to get to the port town the day before, especially in the winter to avoid storm related delays. Enjoy a nice night and get to the ship around 11am. Honestly, if the ship can't leave port on time, who cares. We are on vacation. Go out on your veranda or to the cocktail lounge and let the good times roll!

Laurie

PS - always pack 2 days worth of clothing (just the basics) in your carry-on just in case! You probably won't need it but we did and we are glad we thought ahead.

. Remember the news about the lady who got tasered when objecting to the fact that the airplane was still there but the airline would not let her board because she missed "the time portal".

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2007-09-30-airportarrest_N.htm

Good evening,

''got tasered'' ???? The story line seems to indicate quite the opposite....

Still, would have been a good ''candidate''.

Moral of the story: don't be late !!! ( as the OP says)

Cheers

;)

Last Sunday the Millennium was schedule to leave at 4:30 and it left an hour late waiting for passengers so I'm confused by this rule.:confused: Maybe they had to wait the additional hour to make the 90 minutes.

I know that there were weather issues with airports last Sunday. I also know that the port was closed for an hour (no traffic in or out) due to an incident on another ship. Also, since the ship had just completed a Transatlantic coming back to the U.S. it was late to disembark while processing all the crew, and going through a coast guard inspection. I've never seen a Port Everglades cruise terminal as crowded and chaotic as terminal 25 last Sunday. I know our friends boarded after 3:00 so that would have cut into the 90 minute rule (no I don't know if they did the online registration. They had been at the port for a couple of hours after waiting 2 hours at the airport for the cruise transfer.

I do know I saw people boarding (for the first time) in our first and third ports.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if the cruise lines will have any flexibility due to delays of flights, or accidents on freeways where passengers get stuck in a traffic jam and cannot reach the ship until much closer to sailing?

Heard about several passengers missing the SUMMIT 21Dec07 due to a major accident on a freeway; passengers contacted ship personnel on board and received verbal assurances all would be okay; arrived at the pier 40 minutes prior and port security turned them away; some family passengers in the party already on board and had to pack and disembark.

Doesn't read like there is much flexibility.

Archived