How Many Days Before Cruise Do You Pack?

kiraryker

I find that if I start too soon before a trip I will just keep adding more & more items to the suitcases so I'm debating on when to actually start filling them.

I have most items in a plastic bag in my closet (bathroom items, disposable cameras, etc) but I have not gone thru my clothes or shoes yet.

I find that if I start too soon before a trip I will just keep adding more & more items to the suitcases so I'm debating on when to actually start filling them.

I have most items in a plastic bag in my closet (bathroom items, disposable cameras, etc) but I have not gone thru my clothes or shoes yet.

I've learned the same lesson you have. Earlier I start packing items into the luggage, the more stuff I take because I forget what I've already packed.

Have never actually perfected the perfect packing procedure. However, I now tend to assemble clothing and other cruise related items I think we would need in one or two areas a few days or up to a week before a cruise and then go from there.

So much easier to weed out what you don't need when you have all the items you ``think you might'' need in one location.

Dianne

I am leaving Saturday, and started packing Tuesday night. I had a mental plan, and so far, so good. I am going black - black patent dress shoes, black clutch for night, black pants and black Talbots long skirt with glittery and/or bright tops. BUT - I am at the point where I have extra room so I am thinking....

I am trying really hard to stick to my new mantra -Less Clothes - More Money!

I have a rolling clothes hanger that as of January 1st will be taken out and all my dresses will be tried on and hung on the rack. As 2/10 moves closer, I'll add all my non-dining clothes to the rack just so I'm not wearing them before the cruise. I have to have all my clothes visual, in sight before they are put into the suitcase. Yes, I'm kinda (ok, more than kinda) anal about it!

Want the honest truth? I mentally start the day we book. That takes the cruise destination into consideration. I look for the average temps of the area we are going and time of year, then I factor in the store seasons since they are ahead of actual weather. Get killer deals on close out sales as a result.

Personally I have some standard formals, but like new clothes for the cruise. Formal packing starts about two weeks in advance, that is try on for fit. The essentials like hygene products. Start with the wrinkle free stuff, then the last day before leaving do a big iron and finish.

I start approx. 3 months ahead of time.. I can't help myself!

You were married in St. Thomas in 1807? Wow, you must be the oldest cruiser onboard every time!!!:D

Seriously, I start planning what I'm taking right after we get home from our last cruise, but don't actually begin putting things into a suitcase until about a month before we sail. I've actually put things in and taken them out so often that I have to launder them again before we leave. Lesson well learned.:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm leaving 2/4/08 too. I've started packing on paper. Writing what I want to take and listing it by outfit and day and activity. Then I try to use mix 'n match -- less clothes. Also, I tried to stay in a similar color scheme, so I don't have to take as many shoes.

But actually putting them in the suitcase, a day or a day and half before I leave. Being sure to have one all round outfit in m carry on board -- just in case... (I don't even want to say that... But who knows what 'could' happen!)

Evening clothes are the last planned, because I usually find something new to buy... One new formal outfit each cruise...

LK

I usally start three weeks before our cruise and write everything down that I want to take, then go to my cruise closet and start pulling out things that I hope fit this time around. Usally do alot of mix and match or stick to one or two color schemes. Start with shoes because that's my down-fall, want to take too many. Now I've got it so I only take four or five pairs with me. Then everything gets laid out, tried on, hung back up together and packed two days before we go and weighed. Don't want to get caught with being over the 50lb limit on the plane!:eek:

Deb

As I was purchasing items for the trip, I'd put them in the luggage for storage reasons. Does that count? ;) As soon as the weather turned cold and nasty, I started packing clothes up.

I really started the hard core packing last week. All the clothes are washed and folded. I have everything packed now but my makeup, toiletries, and the stuff I use on a daily basis. That's on the list waiting to be checked off in 9 days! :D

Wow, what a super-organized bunch! I do think about what I have in my closet and what I may need new a few weeks before the cruise, but if I started packing too soon I'd just have to take it all out and repack since I wouldn't remember just what I packed and would need to double-check.

I try on, wash (if necessary) and hang aside clothes I plan on taking a few days pre-cruise and do the actual packing the day before. Sometimes even the day of if we leave late! I prefer to pack everything at once; it just makes me feel more at ease, with everything fresh in my mind.

We travel a lot, so packing has become kind of routine, and I have finally come to realize that almost everything is replaceable if forgotten except for prescription medications, glasses and travel documents. I no longer take the kitchen sink, the medicine cabinet and the walk-in closet; makes packing and traveling much less stressful!

My wife is in charge of the packing but how soon she packs depends on the overall length of the cruise. She makes lists of each and every item that is packed as well. This also helps as we can look back at the list from a prior cruise and she also notes on the cruise if we brought items we didn't use. So, starting early and keeping organized has worked well.

Keith

We pack the night before the cruise.

Our cat get upset as soon as we bring the suit cases out. So for her nerves we pack late.

Now we plan on what to take early and set the clothes aside in the closet. But actually pack only the night before.

What one does not do to make a cat happy.:D

We pack the night before the cruise.

Our cat get upset as soon as we bring the suit cases out. So for her nerves we pack late.

Now we plan on what to take early and set the clothes aside in the closet. But actually pack only the night before.

What one does not do to make a cat happy.:D

"What one does not do to make a cat happy."

Or dog.

We booked our Feb 1, 08 cruise last January and the "cruise box" got started in August. For little things that usually aren't part of vacation packing. The dog is "no longer with us" so I will start packing in earnest after the relatives have gone home and Christmas is packed up -- with the dog we had to wait until the last minute. Things will get laid out on the guest room bed for organizing but the suitcases won't get packed until the day before we leave. The "glamour" goes in about 10 minutes before we leave for the airport.

Probably over half the fun of a vacation for me is the preparation and dreaming. I don't really care if I overpack as long as it all fits in the suitcase and I can handle the suitcase by myself. But I do use travel size bottles as much as possible. (I do not need to lug a huge bottle of shampoo from home -- know what I mean?)

Let the packing begin!

Susan

I have a rolling clothes hanger that as of January 1st will be taken out and all my dresses will be tried on and hung on the rack. As 2/10 moves closer, I'll add all my non-dining clothes to the rack just so I'm not wearing them before the cruise. I have to have all my clothes visual, in sight before they are put into the suitcase. Yes, I'm kinda (ok, more than kinda) anal about it!

Thanks for that tip. I dragged mine out of the closet today and started hanging clothes on it for my trip in 11 days.

I can't even put out the suitcase or set clothes out on a bed in advance - one of the cats will mark it. We've created an "essentials" list that we refer to as we toss stuff into our bags. An over-the-door shoe bag isn't on it - we've always had ample storage space for the two of us.

Eeeewww. Aren't they neutered? My cats don't do that--none of the cats I've ever had did that.

Archived