Uh Oh.....I think I screwed up this time!

Hi,

I have about 30 days to go for my paid in full cruise and I forgot to get insurance!! I have looked on that great site for travel insurance but nothing seems to tell me whether they cover me in this instance - short notice and paid in full. I don't want to purchase it and then find out - does anyone know if I can still buy insurance??

Hi,

I have about 30 days to go for my paid in full cruise and I forgot to get insurance!! I have looked on that great site for travel insurance but nothing seems to tell me whether they cover me in this instance - short notice and paid in full. I don't want to purchase it and then find out - does anyone know if I can still buy insurance??

Im a TA and can pretty much tell you that you are out of options here. They wont let you purchase insurance after final payment to protect themselves from false claims. I am not saying that you will file a false claim, but that is why they wont they wont let you purchase after final payment. Sorry, but you will be without travel protection for this sailing, just remember to get it next time.

Hi,

Im a TA and can pretty much tell you that you are out of options here. They wont let you purchase insurance after final payment to protect themselves from false claims. I am not saying that you will file a false claim, but that is why they wont they wont let you purchase after final payment. Sorry, but you will be without travel protection for this sailing, just remember to get it next time.

Consult a qualified insurance sales representative. You may still be able to find some policy that covers certain contingencies, but the premium will probably be very high. You probably won't be able to cover pre-existing conditions this close to the sailing date and other coverages might be more limited than you would like. If there is a policy available and the price isn't more than you are willing to pay, purchase it but in the future, make sure you purchase it when you first make your booking. :)

According to the folks at tripinsurancestore you can purchase these travel insurance policies at any time up to the day of the trip.

"Your deadline to get travel insurance is the day before your departure for Travel Guard, Travel Insured and Travel Safe or the day of departure ffor CSA and HTH."

well in 2006, my sister bought her travel insurance the night before departure at insuremytrip with Travel guard lite and they took her money. They saw the date the policy was to start and what day it was. No denial or disclaimer came up that she wasn't covered. So I guess its good nothing happened cuz you're telling me she wouldn't have had coverage!

You should be able to buy trip insurance at any time, as long as it's not the actual sail date. You will not be entitled to any pre-existing conditions waiver however, as most companies require that to be purchased at deposit. You've got time, & can still buy coverage for med evac, baggage, etc.

If the premium is too high.....Disregarding the weather issues and possiblity of delays, most people are injured in traffic accidents. For the next 30 days, you should probably avoid talking on your cell phone while driving, obey all traffic signals, stop signs, RR crossings. :D

We forgot to purchase insurance for 1 cruise. I drive for my job, and that last 5 days before we sailed, I was a nervous wreck. I was absolutely sure that someone was going to hit my car, and we would miss our cruise. :)

Best wishes for a safe sailing!:D

Cant you get travel insurance through the TA you got the cruise from? From what I was understanding is you can get insurance through the TA all the way until an event happens

Thanks for all the responses so far. I got my cruise through one of the big online travel agencies and didn't think I could contact them to get insurance now. I'll try the insuremytrip site again, thank you. We're young and healthy, no pre existing conditions to speak of, luckily, but I would feel better knowing I'm covered!:D

Cant you get travel insurance through the TA you got the cruise from? From what I was understanding is you can get insurance through the TA all the way until an event happens

Yes, you can get insurance from your TA & others...just not once an event happens. For example, once a hurricane is announced/named/whatever...you are on your own if your trip was disrupted & you want to have help then. As far as seemingly healthy people that need emergency medical assistance (who does plan that?:eek: ), not many of our policies have coverage outside of the US & some are surprised by this. I just hope my insurance money is money that I've wasted.

We forgot to purchase insurance for 1 cruise. I drive for my job, and that last 5 days before we sailed, I was a nervous wreck. I was absolutely sure that someone was going to hit my car, and we would miss our cruise. :) /QUOTE]

You're in luck. They now have medications for stuff like that !!!

We have purchased our own through Insuremytip and have been happy with the service, and the complete policy you can print out and take with you,etc. I wanted it primarily for medical if one of us got hurt on an excursion or something, and also if our flight out of Denver in Dec. got cancelled. Didn't end up having to make any claims for our trip last week, but it was worth the $110 or so that we paid for the peace of mind.

You should be able to buy trip insurance at any time, as long as it's not the actual sail date. You will not be entitled to any pre-existing conditions waiver however, as most companies require that to be purchased at deposit. You've got time, & can still buy coverage for med evac, baggage, etc.

You are right. We just purchased insurance 2 1/2 weeks prior to our last minute cruise and they will cover you no problem for except the pre-existing conditions.;)

Bob:)

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better now for sure. I'll get right on it!

I'm happy you're reassured...Is this code for stop giving advice?!?!:) I'm so glad you're 'in the window' for your trip. I'm glad skyking is not my TA...you have lots of options (hopefully no false claims??:eek: ! Happy Cruising...

Do you have health insurance through work? If so call your insurer and ask if you are covered. The most expensive thing that travel insurance covers is health care and if you are already covered for emergencies while out of the country then the travel insurance may be superfluous.

I've always heard that the most important reason to have trip insurance is to cover you in the event that you have to be airlifted off the ship to a hospital... I've heard that can run you about what a new economy size car would cost... most company health insurances won't cover such a thing... and some won't cover you outside the US... check though...

The other reason that comes to mind is lost baggage, or having to cancel close to departure for extraordinary circumstances...

We bought ours through insuremytrip.com last year about 2 weeks before we sailed because the overplanner(me) forgot to purchase it through RC... so for the TA who says you are out of luck... that person is just plain wrong...

You won't be covered for pre-existing but that doesn't sound like your issue.... I think we paid about $80pp but it was worth the peace of mind...

Exactly..........except that I would add that for pre-existing conditions it can be deposit + 14 days for many companies.

skyking>>>As you are a TA, personally I'm "concerned" that you cannot answer correctly the simplest of Insurance related questions!! How were you able to get your pilots license??? :)

I have obtained insurance as close as two days prior to sailing. Not sure why everyone is saying no. When I call it in I give them all the info, date of deposit, date of final payment, etc.

I have had no problem and I use an agency that has been mentioned quite a bit.

Thank you for identifying yourself as a travel agent. Totally incorrect information like this is why I no longer use a TA.

Luckyprincess: You can purchase now and be covered for Trip Cancellation, Baggage, Medical, Dental, Emergency Evacuation, 24 Hour Traveler Assistance, Baggage Delay, Travel Delay, Accidental Death and probably a few other things.

The excellent insuremytrip website shows what you are missing by not purchasing earlier:

Q. When is the best time to purchase a Package Policy?

A. To receive the most benefit from the travel policy you must purchase the insurance within 7 to 21 days (varies by company and plan) of your First Trip Payment Date. If the insurance is purchased within the 7 - 21 day period you receive three enhancements (varies by company and plan) to the policy:

1. Protection against the Financial Default of a tour operator, airline or cruise line.
  2. The Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion is usually waived.
  3. Terrorism in Itinerary City (included on some policies where the 7-21 day time frame is not required).

Please note that most companies count your First Trip Payment Date as day number one.

I too was surprised at Skyking's answer. I personally have gotten last minute insurance for myself as well as clients. It's not cheap with the pre-existing clause removed but that's not the issue. If a person needs/wants insurance even after final payment, they can get it.

Archived