noise cancelling headphones - worth the $ ?

commonsense2

i have a very long flight to dubai for my next cruise and a longish one back from italy. are noise cancelling headphones helpful and worth the money? i'm considering the bose quiet comfort 2 model, but they are pricey at $299.

any experiences with these (or another model) would be appreciated. thanks!

I have the Bose headphones (the first ones that came out...the over the ear ones) and use them on long flights. The are very comfortable to wear. I tried on a pair of the on ear ones and they were not as comfortable. I was surprised how much "background" noise is present and the headphones indeed filter out most of it. However, they do not filter out conversational noise, ie, you can still hear your seatmates, stewardess,etc. So if you want to filter out "voice" noise, these won't work. I use earplugs plus the Bose headphones for a "quite" ride.

Also of note, if you use a MP3 player (iPod or the like), these are a lot better than the earbuds that most people use. They also plug into the plane's audio system so you get a better sound for inflight movies, etc.

Another good source of info and reviews on these things can be found at Amazon.com. I think Bose has a 30 day return policy, so go ahead and get a pair and try them out.

I have a pair of the original Bose ones as well, and I think they're well worth the money. I wouldn't watch any in-flight movies without them - just not worth the effort trying to watch them using airline issue headphones. (Not that I watch many of the movies anyway, but that's another story.)

I personally find it impossible to sleep with them on. As soon as your head goes over to one side and you put any pressure on the headphones, the noise-reduction function gets impaired - and they're too wide for headrest wings to do their job. Better to get good earplugs and use the headrest wings for what they were intended.

I couldn't afford the $300 for the Bose pair, so I spent significantly less on a "Creative" pair. They are comfortable on my ears but start to pinch after about 3 hours; the Bose ones (which I have had the pleasure of trying) don't.

So - if the money isn't really a big deal, go for the Bose. Noise Cancelling headphones are a Godsend on aircraft. The noise filtering is fabulous, though as the previous poster pointed out, they can't wash out talking or babies crying. However, the difference you will hear in listening even to the movies on the plane are amazing.

You might want to check out the Sennheiser PXC line. I thnk they provide better sound quality than the Bose (particularly the Sennheiser PXC 300 although the 250 is a also good and a great value).

Etymotic also makes some good ones. Their in-ear ones are quite comfortable and even the less expensive ones offer reasonable cancelation. A big advantage, for me, is that they take up practically no space in packing.

Paul

In a word, YES. I have both Bose and Sony NR headphones, and love them both. The Bose work better, but are sometimes left behind for space considerations. Be sure to evaluate whether you prefer the "around the ear" (old style) or the "on the ear" style -- they both wear and perform differently. As one who wore Koss Pro 4/AA phones throughout college to avoid waking people, I got used to the "around the ear" style for its ability to "seal" out noises. Your preference may be different. Best to "test drive" them before a purchase.

i have a very long flight to dubai for my next cruise and a longish one back from italy. are noise cancelling headphones helpful and worth the money? i'm considering the bose quiet comfort 2 model, but they are pricey at $299.

any experiences with these (or another model) would be appreciated. thanks!

I have the Bose 2 headphones and use them all the time but I fly a lot. Personally, I would not buy them for just one international round trip flight. Do you do much flying otherwise? If not, maybe ask around and see if you can borrow someone's?

John

DEFINITELY worth it! There was a study a bit ago about how the high pitched noise on a plane affects the nervous system - it's thought to be part of jet lag - your nervous system is being constantly stimulated by the noise, wearing you out. I know that since I started using noise cancelling headphones on flights (and I also use the soft earplugs as well as I like a quiet ride), I arrive at my destination much less tired, regardless of the length of the flight.

I use PlaneQuiet headphones. They've tested out *almost* as good as the Bose, at a significantly lower price. For a comparision of several different types of the noise cancelling options, go to http://www.thetravelinsider.com/roadwarriorcontent/noisecancellingheadphonesindex.htm.

The New York Times also did a review of 10 headphones last June. Funny I ran into this thread, just today, I ordered the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 from Amazon, which had very good reviews. Some even preferred them over the Bose at almost 3 times the price.

I can't wait to try them myself!

Theron

thanks for all the opinions.

i do not fly a lot, but when i do they are long flights. in the past i've used standard construction workers ear plugs and they do a fair job. as none of them will silence a crying baby (i tend to be a magnet for those :eek: ) i may just stick with the foam plugs.

thanks for all the opinions.

i do not fly a lot, but when i do they are long flights. in the past i've used standard construction workers ear plugs and they do a fair job. as none of them will silence a crying baby (i tend to be a magnet for those :eek: ) i may just stick with the foam plugs.

One selling point (at least for me) is that some airlines (American for sure) let you use your nice headsets to listen to the in-flight entertainment. Not a big deal, but a nice added bonus.

Theron

I have used the Bose headphones for about 3 years, and specifically bought them for an international flight. The difference in my stress level without all the "white noise" and conversations was amazing!

I convinced my DH to get a pair, but he bought a cheaper brand. He also loves wearing these on long distance flights.

My side pieces broke on my Bose, and they sent me a brand new pair in the original packaging (not reconditioned, etc.) immediately.

I would not travel without my Bose headphones. As Globaliser states, they make a HUGE difference in watching movies on airplanes.

Both DW & I have the Bose QC2, over-the-ear headphones and absolutely love them. Even on shorter flights, the noise reduction makes a significant difference. On long flights, DW listens to the onboard entertainment with them and I usually have my mp3 player plugged in. Yes, you can hear people talking close by but without the additional "wind tunnel" ambient noise thrown in. They DO make a difference IMO, especially on long flights. We've both worn them for over 8 hours at a stretch with no discomfort whatsoever.

Yes, you can hear people talking close by but without the additional "wind tunnel" ambient noise thrown in.

This reminds me of a flight I was on with my Bose headphones. There were TWO very noisy children directly behind me. With my headphones on, and believe me, I kept them on the ENTIRE flight!!!.......they sounded like they were way in the back of the plane. With entertainment or music, I completely blocked them out.

Archived