Jeans and the Middleaged Woman

momofmeg

My fav jeans are Liz Claiborne's short, straight legged. They have 2% spandex. I am short, middle aged & have a lot of junk in my trunk. I think I even got the neighbors junk in there. So I like a little stretch in the hind end. I did find after a few trys that with the spandex added I did have to go down a size. Her 100% cotton jeans have no stretch & I need the bigger size. I find the spandex makes them feel so much softer & easier to wear that I now avoid the 100% cotton. I do remember with longing my younger days, tight Levi's & spike heels. I'll never see that again. Sigh!!!

My junk has left my trunk and has moved to my gutt! You sound like my friend she likes the Lee full cut, boot cut because of her hips.

but that stretch works for the big middle and the not so big butt too. If there is not enough stretch-then even if the pants don't fall off of me I have the baggy "baby diaper" butt-not pretty!

I think all of us, when we find something that works with our flaws instead of against them, we are happy. I know I do not expect to look gorgeous but I do not want to look worse then I would look nude either. LOL!

These are all common problems. I have them at 35 :) (post baby - didn't have them before)

first take the quiz at http://www.zafu.com to get denim recommendations for your particular figure issues - they do plus size too. They will return a variety of jeans in various price ranges. I have found their fit recommendations to be spot on in all the price ranges :) So give them a try!

That said, the more expensive denim like BlueHerons recommended will give you a longer lasting fit. I prefer Paige Denim, they stretch to custom fit to my figure. I only wash if they get dirty because they fit so perfect there is no need. So I figure I am making up some of the cost in laundry savings as my cheaper jeans I would wash constantly becuase the thinner denim stretched horribly. :rolleyes:

Two kinds have really worked for me--Venezia (Lane Bryant) and Wrangler Aura. If you have a Lebos in your area, they should have Wrangler Auras. These were actually designed BY the women of Wrangler, and mine lasted me years! I had them altered down when I lost weight and got into shape.

My problem? Though I lost much of my gut in the last year, I'm 6' tall, and tall size jeans are darn near impossible to find. To compound the problem, I like to lift weights, and my muscles have bulked up, so while I've lost fat, my arms and thighs are still large.

http://www.aurafromthewomenatwrangler.com/Home

I'm in my mid 40's and I love my 519 Levi's...I know that flared legs are on there way out but I do like the look on me better than a boot cut or straight leg - unless I'm tucking them into by boots. Maybe it reminds me of my teen years! With boots I really like my straight leg Ralph Laurens. I am definetly going to check out the Levi 512's.

Just a question-this is my first cruise....I'm planning on wearing a pair of jeans on the airplane...should I bring another pair? Is it appropriate for the evenings that are NOT formal?

Momofmeg, you asked about locations of Ann Taylor shops. I'm sure there's one at Perimeter Mall and would imagine at any of the other major malls. There's also an Ann Taylor at the outlet mall in Dawsonville.

Wondering if any of you have tried jeans from either LL Bean or Lands' End - they have many styles, sizes, lengths. I wear jeans from both and have been very happy with the fit.

GA Girl beat me to it, but I would have bet my last dollar there are Ann Taylor Stores at most all of the major Malls in and around Atlanta. I live in Augusta and we have one here.

I wish I could remember the names of some of the jeans that were just being shown on Oprah earlier this week. She had Stacey London from TLC and they were showing all kinds of jeans, slacks and dresses. What works for different body types and what doesn't.

I have really learned alot from those kinds of shows. I started looking at what works on me and what doesn't and I am revamping my styles that I have been buying. Stacey had on a pair of jeans from GAP but I doubt I could find any there that I would fit well. I find that the slightly low rise, wider banded and with a little stretch fit me best and I have to stay away from the butt pockets that have flaps or alot of poof to them. Draws too much attention to that back end.

So, when you do find a jean that fits well and feels good buy 2 pair. Lee Rider seems to do a good jean for me and believe it or not I have found a few of Faded Glory jeans that fit well. Not all of them but some are cut ok. Levi has always been a standard fare for me, even now that I am 50 something.

Cindy

Do most people wear their jeans so many times between washings? Mine go into the dirty clothes hamper after wearing them once, the same as all other pieces of clothing. I am a germophobe and tend to be pretty clean so maybe my opinion is a little off, but you really wear your jeans 4 times before washing them?

Do most people wear their jeans so many times between washings? Mine go into the dirty clothes hamper after wearing them once, the same as all other pieces of clothing. I am a germophobe and tend to be pretty clean so maybe my opinion is a little off, but you really wear your jeans 4 times before washing them?

I don't know about most people, but I do. I remember as a teen my Mom used to get so angry with me because I'd take them off & put them in the hamper after one wearing. She was eco friendly way back then. Her line was "you know that water costs money!" I used to think she was just picking. Now I pay the water bill & things get worn more than once around here as long as they're not filthy & smelly. Besided I wear a full cut panty or as my girls call them "granny sacks" so it's not as if you are wearing your jeans next to your lady parts. Now I could see constant washing if you were to wear a thong or something really skimmpy, then they might not be too fresh the second wearing.

Forgot to mention earlier the Levi 512's have two styles. Perfectly slimming and regular 512's are not the same. The slimming ones have a tan sewn in tummy panel inside. Holds you in a bit. I havn't noticed any stretch out on these. I have owned jeans that have though and could slide them off after a few hrs of wearing! Kohls usually has the best prices and I order online as they always have the indigo color. The stores seem to sell them out fast! These are super comfortable. Best I have found in years.

I'm in a size 14 (which I'm not ashamed to admit, since I came down from a 16!). I have found some great denim capris and shorts at Cato that are stretchy and fit well. I assume their full length jeans would also work well for me. However, I ride horses (barrel racing) and need a more "substantial" jean for that. I don't wear stretch jeans for riding. If you have a Cato store nearby, you might stop by and try their jeans. Their prices are reasonable, too.

GA Girl beat me to it, but I would have bet my last dollar there are Ann Taylor Stores at most all of the major Malls in and around Atlanta. I live in Augusta and we have one here.

I wish I could remember the names of some of the jeans that were just being shown on Oprah earlier this week. She had Stacey London from TLC and they were showing all kinds of jeans, slacks and dresses. What works for different body types and what doesn't.

I have really learned alot from those kinds of shows. I started looking at what works on me and what doesn't and I am revamping my styles that I have been buying. Stacey had on a pair of jeans from GAP but I doubt I could find any there that I would fit well. I find that the slightly low rise, wider banded and with a little stretch fit me best and I have to stay away from the butt pockets that have flaps or alot of poof to them. Draws too much attention to that back end.

So, when you do find a jean that fits well and feels good buy 2 pair. Lee Rider seems to do a good jean for me and believe it or not I have found a few of Faded Glory jeans that fit well. Not all of them but some are cut ok. Levi has always been a standard fare for me, even now that I am 50 something.

Cindy

Cindy I live 4 miles from Arbor Place Mall and 8 years ago when it was built it was considered the third largest mall in GA. No Ann Taylor there.

With all the Atlanta traffic I am not going to Perimenter either. Traffic is bad enough just going the 4 pitiful miles to Arbor Place. Occasionially we will go to the Mall of Ga on a Sat. Is there one there?

I would love to look in an Ann Taylor and see what all is there just because of all the posts on Ann Taylor that are here.

BTW I am from Augusta-I lived there until I married 25 years ago. I graduated from Butler High School and lived off Windsor spring Rd. I believ eit is not such a good area anymore as none of my siblings live there. I have a sister who lives in Grovetown within walking distance of Cracker Barrel so it is almost Matinez. My brother lives in Hephzibah.

Usually with me I wear them twice-unless I am trying to shrink them back because they are really too big. I had not been wearing jeans every day-especially when I had bought that one pair that kept getting too big after 30 minutes wear. I would slide back in to my elastic waist tie pants because at least they would stay up. I was doing good to get 2 hours wear out of those jeans before I threw them in the dirty clothes.

With me-I wear a blouse, bra, panties,only once before washing, but skirts I can wear 3 or 4 times and pants twice. But as others said, if they "smell" even if I have worn it once-it is time to wash it. Sometimes I wonder if people's noses work.

I am not germaphoic but I do dislike bad smells.

Ladies,

Let me help you with a guy's perspective. It does not matter if you are in your 20's, 30', 40's or 50's...if you look like you were poured into your jeans, you will look good, I recently saw a movie that had Dyan Cannon in it and I did not realize that she had reached the age of 70...she looked very sexy in her tight fitting jeans in the movie...so ladies...regardles of your age just pour yourself into a pair of blue jeans and the guys or you guy will love you for it!

Baggy jeans on a woman or on a guy especially in the butt are not a good thing!

Mark:cool:

No way do I throw jeans in the wash after every washing. I don't really count how many times I wear them (I have many pair) but I know when they need washing (usually it is to shrink them rather than clean them!), and then they go in the laundry. I don't think I have ANY pants that I would wash after a single wearing unless something got on them. Of course if I wore them to a truck mud run, then obviously the laundry room is where they would touch the ground. ;) But generally, I don't find them to be "dirty" after a single wearing. As the other poster said - tops and lingerie are a different story of course!

I guess it is my germ issues that make me the unusual one! I don't consider them dirty from the inside as much as I consider them dirty from the outside...I try especially hard to not let the hem touch public restroom floors when I pull my pants down, but that is hard with the longer lengths that are in style, and when it happens, I think about it all day! :eek: I am a student, so I also sit in several classroom and library seats a day, rather than sitting in my own personal office chair each day, so maybe that makes a difference about how dirty they feel after a day!

So, it is confirmed that most people do wear them more than once! I didn't mean anything by the question...I was just curious! :)

I have tried on MANY jeans and found few that really fit me and looked good. I really like the Boot Cut jeans made by St. John's Bay available at JC Penney. They are mid-rise (just below the belly button) in a classic 5-pocket style and have just a bit of stretch but do not stretch out like some other jeans I have. I buy the Long length which is just perfect with heeled boots. I would be willing to pay more than these cost for a good fitting pair but have not found them yet.

Thanks Mark for the laugh and the encouragement!! I too am a size 14 over 40 grandma and I love the midrise jeans that are snug. Oh by the way, I was informed by my 20 year old that if you have a larger belly than a bottem, it is called a BIF "Butt in Front" :D

Ladies,

Let me help you with a guy's perspective. It does not matter if you are in your 20's, 30', 40's or 50's...if you look like you were poured into your jeans, you will look good, I recently saw a movie that had Dyan Cannon in it and I did not realize that she had reached the age of 70...she looked very sexy in her tight fitting jeans in the movie...so ladies...regardles of your age just pour yourself into a pair of blue jeans and the guys or you guy will love you for it!

Baggy jeans on a woman or on a guy especially in the butt are not a good thing!

Mark:cool:

Totally agree with you, Mark. Nothing worse than baggy jeans. I see some of these women at the shopping malls and I wonder if they ever look in the mirror.

Cindy I live 4 miles from Arbor Place Mall and 8 years ago when it was built it was considered the third largest mall in GA. No Ann Taylor there.

With all the Atlanta traffic I am not going to Perimenter either. Traffic is bad enough just going the 4 pitiful miles to Arbor Place. Occasionially we will go to the Mall of Ga on a Sat. Is there one there?

I would love to look in an Ann Taylor and see what all is there just because of all the posts on Ann Taylor that are here.

quote]

I lived in Atlanta for 4 years (Buckhead), and I'm an Ann Taylor junkie. There is one at Mall of Georgia, Lenox, Phipps, Cobb Center, North Point, Perimeter, Atlantic Station, Forum in Norcross, etc. Plenty in Atlanta. Ann Taylor Lofts can be found in most of these locations, including Mall of Georgia (Lofts are trendier with lower prices). And as someone else mentioned, there is a factory store at the GA 400 outlets in Dawsonville. The factory store has many of the same things that were in Ann Taylor the previous year (or current year), but are made less expensively. For example, I bought a cashmere sweater from the factory store, and a cashmere sweater from Ann Taylor. While the one from the factory store is nice, the cashmere from Ann Taylor is thicker and more tightly woven.

Washing them inside out, in cold water, on a gentle cycle with a detergent made for dark colors would probably also help.

Yep, I read that tip about 20 years ago and it does work! and more affordable then drycleaning-but still if I paid over $100 for a pair fo jeans I would dryclean them to make them last. Unless I wash the same pair of jeans 6 times in 2 weeks so they won't be too big!

Archived