Jeans and the Middleaged Woman

momofmeg

I would just like some info on what other gals over 40 have found that worked for them.

and I mean those of you who are like me and no longer have the 10 inch differance between waist and hips. Mine is 6 inches differance.

because of weight gain I had to go jeans shopping.

I recently bought a pair of Rafella jeans from Belk that fit PERFECTLY in the store-I was thrilled to find a good fitting pair of jeans-NOT! I found the things stretched out WAY too much and within a couple of hours of wearing them they were falling off!

Then at Goody's I bought a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans in the "Amanda" dark wash. ( I remembered her stuff usually works well on me-so I as glad to find they carried her jeans) They worked great! but I bought only one pair for fear thery would do like the Rafellas! but a week later and one wash later I realize these are going to work. so I go back to buy another pair and there are no more dark wash in my size-but there is a lighter wash pair-I try them on and they are too big-so I wonder why (size 12 and yes unfortunately I am now a 12) I look at what they are made of and I discover it is not the same as the dark wash. The dark wash had 2% lycra but the lighter blue is only 1% lycra. Then I remember the Rafellas were only 1% so I guess I need more lycra because of my shape.

Now I am thinking I need to hit some other Goodys around Atlanta and see if any of them have more of the "Amanda" dark wash.

Now tell me your experiences!

I feel your pain. We are in the same boat, age and weight wise. I like Gloria Vanderbilt too. Check Ross if you have one. I think I find them at Walmart too. Newport News jeans are awesome, but, I can't fit into any of mine right now.:(

I like Chicos. They have different styles for different body types (the sales people are great at helping you find your fit). They come in short, regular and tall. I am only 5'2", so I need the short. I usually wear size 1 (8-l0) in their clothes, however in jeans, I wear a .5. They do have some stretch and they recommend that you buy a half size smaller. They usually run about $100 and over (if more emblished), however they are sometimes on sale. I think they are very stylish, and look great with all of Chicos jackets and tops.

Hope you find your ideal Jeans.

I like Chicos. They have different styles for different body types (the sales people are great at helping you find your fit). They come in short, regular and tall. I am only 5'2", so I need the short. I usually wear size 1 (8-l0) in their clothes, however in jeans, I wear a .5. They do have some stretch and they recommend that you buy a half size smaller. They usually run about $100 and over (if more emblished), however they are sometimes on sale. I think they are very stylish, and look great with all of Chicos jackets and tops.

Hope you find your ideal Jeans.

My problem would be spending $100 for a pair of jeans. ($50 is my limit! that is what the Rafellas cost) I see jeans as casual wear and not dress wear. I will wear jeans to a TGI Fridays, Applebees etc.-those type restuarants but for any place "nice" I wouldn't. I just want jeans for casual every day wear-I am a homemaker-so normally I am talking about the grocery store and maybe the mall, possibly lunch at Applebees.

My friend who is a few months older then me-so we are a similiar age- but she never had a child and she still has the hips-she likes Lee's-one particular style that accomodates her hips and she buys hers at Sears.

I feel your pain. We are in the same boat, age and weight wise. I like Gloria Vanderbilt too. Check Ross if you have one. I think I find them at Walmart too. Newport News jeans are awesome, but, I can't fit into any of mine right now.:(

You know I did check Ross and Marshalls! You would not BELIEVE how many pairs of jeans I tried on and everything HIP HUGGERS-even in the misses and not juniors dept-I have SENSE enough not to go to the juniors!

It was after that I went to Belk and just figured I would spend more-and I aready told the story of those jeans!

but you know, most of my Gloria Vanderbilt stuff comes from Kohls so I guess I should check them. Walmart carrys Gloria Vanderbilt? I had no idea.

Do you have a Loft, or if not a Ann Taylors in your area? They have thier own mid rise brand jeans that I just love, and they wont break the bank either.

When I find a pair of jeans I love and wear out I dont launder them but have them dry cleaned. I know maybe a bit expensive, but we all know too well how hard it is to find that perfect jean and so it is worth the extra $$'s for me.

Do you have a Loft, or if not a Ann Taylors in your area? They have thier own mid rise brand jeans that I just love, and they wont break the bank either.

When I find a pair of jeans I love and wear out I dont launder them but have them dry cleaned. I know maybe a bit expensive, but we all know too well how hard it is to find that perfect jean and so it is worth the extra $$'s for me.

Well you know, until I picked up this weight I had been wearing the same jeans for FOUR years. One pair was Lees, two other pairs were Calvin Klines, all mid rise, all in the dark wash. The one pair of Gloria Vanderbilts that were actually jean material that I had before this weight gain were white capri jeans but they fit great and they WERE hip huggers but they worked because they didn't stretch all out. These jeans I bought last week though are mid rise not hip hugger.

If dry cleaning would make them last longer it would be worth it. I like for the dark wash to stay dark and not get faded.

Those stretchy jeans can be a pain--but a belt helps IMMENSELY!!!!!! Who'd have thought!!!!! It keeps them from sliding down once they start stretching out a bit!

Remember, if they fit well through the largest part of you, you can have the waistband taken in to fit!

Oh yes! as far as I know there is no Ann Taylor here. If anyone knows of one in the Atlanta area though please post and let me know. I am heading out to Kohls now first before I drive the 14 miles to the next closest Goodys.

Those stretchy jeans can be a pain--but a belt helps IMMENSELY!!!!!! Who'd have thought!!!!! It keeps them from sliding down once they start stretching out a bit!

Remember, if they fit well through the largest part of you, you can have the waistband taken in to fit!

OPPOSITE PROBLEM! I need the bigger waist and smaller hips and I will not wear a belt anymore since I wear mostly drop out blouses and not tuck in-they just make an ugly bulge.

Kohls had them! So I bought another pair of the "Amanda": in the dark wash- I realized they are regular rise by the tag that was still on them. They hit right at my belly button. Maybe I need regular rise so my gutt holds them up since I no longer have enough butt! LOL!

I will probally buy another pair next week but at least for now I can get out of those elastic tie stretch pants-they certainly did nothing for my morale-and everytime I caught my reflection I felt sick at myself-and since I can't lose the weight as I can't go off the meds that caused the weight gain-at least I will look better!

Try Levis 512 "Perfectly Slimming" . They say it is slim cut but I say not! I'm not a slim cut. Some lycra hits at the waistline. Really makes you appear smaller. Everyone thought I lost weight. They are bootcut. I especially like the darker color. Sold at Kohls, Penneys, Sears, Macys. New this season and I love them. Don't fall down with the higher waist. I always wear belts though. Reviewed great by middle aged women!! I would compare to Tummy Tuck jeans at a real cost savings!!!

Try Levis 512 "Perfectly Slimming" . They say it is slim cut but I say not! I'm not a slim cut. Some lycra hits at the waistline. Really makes you appear smaller. Everyone thought I lost weight. They are bootcut. I especially like the darker color. Sold at Kohls, Penneys, Sears, Macys. New this season and I love them. Don't fall down with the higher waist. I always wear belts though. Reviewed great by middle aged women!! I would compare to Tummy Tuck jeans at a real cost savings!!!

If it is "gutt slimming" okay-I don't need any "butt slimming" anymore!

Actually though I really like the Gloria Vanderbilt "amanda", dark wash with the 2% lycra. Now that I found another store that carries them I should be okay. I just hated that Goody's only had one pair and that I would have to wait until they received more stock-but Kohls carries them also I found out today.

but I will check out those levis. I have never heard of them.

Most of my tops are 23 inches long and have a finished bottom that does not need to be tucked.

I also wear the tunic length tops of around 28 inches a lot-but those do not go with jeans, so I wear the shorter 23 inch tops but still my mid section area is covered.

I'm not middleage, but I still have trouble finding jeans that fit right. I found a pair of jeans this summer that were perfect. Absolutely perfect. I only bought one pair because it was summer and now I wish I had bought two or three. They discontinued them, so I just decided to try on some others. I thought surely I would find one. Nope. I tried on 26 different styles of jeans and not ONE fit right. Too long in the zipper area, too short in the length, one size too tight, the next size too loose, weird 'whisker washing', you name it, it happened. I have to have at least a 33.5" inch inseam, but it seems they skip from 31 to 35. Of course I did find ONE pair that fit. They were 200 dollars!! :eek: That's alot for a poor college student!

I've always had problems with jeans, so I have found a few ways to make them last longer. I found that my jeans could be worn three or four times before I had to wash them again if I ironed and starched them them REALLY well at places like around the knees, the thighs, front pockets, etc. Anywhere that stretches or wrinkled easily. That makes a pair last a few months with hard wear.

Next time I find jeans that fit perfectly like my old ones did, I'm taking out a loan and buying the store out. :D

Believe it or not, my favorite jeans are Target's Mossimo. I have to wear jeans for work and these are the most comfortable. Some have stretch so you have to try them on and do a few gymnastics in the dressing room to see if they stretch. But, especially for the money, you can't beat them.

And some have cute designs on the back pocket.

I'm in my mid-50s and have a very hard time finding jeans that fit. I have next to no waist anymore and no butt, but my thighs are slim. My girlfriend told me to try Jag brand from Nordstrom, and they are just the ticket for someone with my figure (or lack of). They fit great, and the boot cut is very flattering. Still $80 is a lot to spend on a pair of jeans, but since I don't wear them every day, I've been able to wear them for over a year and they still fit very well.

Oh gawd don't call me middle aged! (42:D )

Seriously, you need to bite the bullet and go to one of the nicer department stores and have someone fit you for jeans. Saks and Nordstrom do this and it is almost like being fitted for a bra. They can help you find the right fit for you.

Me? I splurge on my jeans. Because I have a booty, I prefer True Religion Joey, Paige Premium, Sass & Bide, and Taverniti So.

I think the closest you'll come to finding a really good pair of jeans without going the premium route would be at Gap.

PS When you buy stretch denim, they should be a little too tight because they will stretch to fit perfect.

My definition of old age is "ten years older than you."

I wish I had a booty. I do, but it's on the front of me where my flat stomach is supposed to be.:eek:

The same goes for me! You know what my mom used to say? if she could turn her middle around she would still have an hour glass figure! Now that is me!

Blue Herons I would invest more if I felt I could still "dress up" in jeans. I love the look of a dressy cami, blazer and those top of the line jeans on the younger gals and at age 42 I could still pass for 30 so I would back then. Not anymore. I need to dress up in something more nicer then demin even if it is a good classy expensive denim! if I am going to spend the amount of money you suggest it is NOT going to be jeans!

Now that reminds me of the argument we used to see here that people should be able to wear their jeans to dinner on a cruiseship if they cost $300. I said back then though-if some wore their Sevens others would say they should wear their levis. But don't worry-I wouldn't do that! I consider my jeans VERY casual wear- as in a trip to the grocerystore wear.

Maybe I should have said over 50? really at 40 you still look good. I still looked great at 45 but somewhere between 45 and 50 middleage started showing on me.

I'm not middleage, but I still have trouble finding jeans that fit right. I found a pair of jeans this summer that were perfect. Absolutely perfect. I only bought one pair because it was summer and now I wish I had bought two or three. They discontinued them, so I just decided to try on some others. I thought surely I would find one. Nope. I tried on 26 different styles of jeans and not ONE fit right. Too long in the zipper area, too short in the length, one size too tight, the next size too loose, weird 'whisker washing', you name it, it happened. I have to have at least a 33.5" inch inseam, but it seems they skip from 31 to 35. Of course I did find ONE pair that fit. They were 200 dollars!! :eek: That's alot for a poor college student!

I've always had problems with jeans, so I have found a few ways to make them last longer. I found that my jeans could be worn three or four times before I had to wash them again if I ironed and starched them them REALLY well at places like around the knees, the thighs, front pockets, etc. Anywhere that stretches or wrinkled easily. That makes a pair last a few months with hard wear.

Next time I find jeans that fit perfectly like my old ones did, I'm taking out a loan and buying the store out. :D

I agree with you! and it seems from watching What Not To Wear-that there are all types of body types and that is why there are so many styles of jeans. You just have to find the one that works for you.

Fortunately, since I found a second store that carries the style of jeans that work for me I should be okay-but if I ever find out the Amanda is being discontinued I will buy whatever is left and put them up!

Oh yes, Blue Herions, the Rafella jeans were 99% cotton and 1% lycra but boy did they stretch out and NOT go back until washed and then within 30 minutes of putting them on they were stretched out again. I think I washed them about 6 times in a 2 week period and then I gave up and got rid of them. I believe I need more lycra.

I am another one that has a really hard time finding jeans that fit. I finally found a pair that I absolutely love at Old Navy. The ones I bought are tagged as Curvy, but when my husband bought me a pair for Christmas they are now called The Sweetheart.

After the 4th pair or so, I finally asked my mom to bring one of everything! I like a tiny bit of stretch in them, but not alot. I asked the lady if they were going to get anymore of my favorite kind and she said "Yes, but they are going to the "lightest" wash." :mad: Come on now! Who looks good in really light wash? Not me and my thighs!

My fav jeans are Liz Claiborne's short, straight legged. They have 2% spandex. I am short, middle aged & have a lot of junk in my trunk. I think I even got the neighbors junk in there. So I like a little stretch in the hind end. I did find after a few trys that with the spandex added I did have to go down a size. Her 100% cotton jeans have no stretch & I need the bigger size. I find the spandex makes them feel so much softer & easier to wear that I now avoid the 100% cotton. I do remember with longing my younger days, tight Levi's & spike heels. I'll never see that again. Sigh!!!

Archived