Jeans and the Middleaged Woman

momofmeg

I would just like some info on what other gals over 40 have found that worked for them.

and I mean those of you who are like me and no longer have the 10 inch differance between waist and hips. Mine is 6 inches differance.

because of weight gain I had to go jeans shopping.

I recently bought a pair of Rafella jeans from Belk that fit PERFECTLY in the store-I was thrilled to find a good fitting pair of jeans-NOT! I found the things stretched out WAY too much and within a couple of hours of wearing them they were falling off!

Then at Goody's I bought a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans in the "Amanda" dark wash. ( I remembered her stuff usually works well on me-so I as glad to find they carried her jeans) They worked great! but I bought only one pair for fear thery would do like the Rafellas! but a week later and one wash later I realize these are going to work. so I go back to buy another pair and there are no more dark wash in my size-but there is a lighter wash pair-I try them on and they are too big-so I wonder why (size 12 and yes unfortunately I am now a 12) I look at what they are made of and I discover it is not the same as the dark wash. The dark wash had 2% lycra but the lighter blue is only 1% lycra. Then I remember the Rafellas were only 1% so I guess I need more lycra because of my shape.

Now I am thinking I need to hit some other Goodys around Atlanta and see if any of them have more of the "Amanda" dark wash.

Now tell me your experiences!

try lane bryant they will fit you right in the store for the perfect fit in their jeans, u just decide which cut you would like boot cut etc. and they are very comfortable and flattering. make u look smaller

http://www.amazon.com/Misses-Gloria-Vanderbilt-Amanda-Stretch/dp/B00021Q2K4

Amazon.com carries your Amanda Gloria-Vanderbilt jeans.:cool:

You know, I still like to try jeans on, simply because they need to be really fitted to look well. As we all know, two identicial pieces of clothing, same manufacturer and size, can vary in size-since they are cut out in multiples at the factory - like an eighth of an inch or so-sometimes more. No big deal with a shift dress and I have ordered them online in a brand and size I knew I liked-but it could be a differance whether I like how a pair of jeans fits.

Plus when I tried on the "Amanda" in the lighter wash at Goodys it was too big and only after reading the label did I discover the lighter wash had less lycra then the dark wash pair I had bought. So I prefer not to buy jeans online.

Which is why though I was tempted to try out some of Suzanne Somer's jeans tha tare sold on HSN as hers are made to fit older women's bodies, I haven't. I have just not had much "luck" with buying clothing in a catalog, shopping channel, online, etc. unless I really know the brand. I hate having to go to the post office or UPS office to mail things back for a refund.

try lane bryant they will fit you right in the store for the perfect fit in their jeans, u just decide which cut you would like boot cut etc. and they are very comfortable and flattering. make u look smaller

But doesn't Lane Bryant start with size 14? do they carry size 12?

Cindy I live 4 miles from Arbor Place Mall and 8 years ago when it was built it was considered the third largest mall in GA. No Ann Taylor there.

With all the Atlanta traffic I am not going to Perimenter either. Traffic is bad enough just going the 4 pitiful miles to Arbor Place. Occasionially we will go to the Mall of Ga on a Sat. Is there one there?

I would love to look in an Ann Taylor and see what all is there just because of all the posts on Ann Taylor that are here.

quote]

I lived in Atlanta for 4 years (Buckhead), and I'm an Ann Taylor junkie. There is one at Mall of Georgia, Lenox, Phipps, Cobb Center, North Point, Perimeter, Atlantic Station, Forum in Norcross, etc. Plenty in Atlanta. Ann Taylor Lofts can be found in most of these locations, including Mall of Georgia (Lofts are trendier with lower prices). And as someone else mentioned, there is a factory store at the GA 400 outlets in Dawsonville. The factory store has many of the same things that were in Ann Taylor the previous year (or current year), but are made less expensively. For example, I bought a cashmere sweater from the factory store, and a cashmere sweater from Ann Taylor. While the one from the factory store is nice, the cashmere from Ann Taylor is thicker and more tightly woven.

The Dawsonville outlet is a terrific one and I believe I did see Ann Taylor there. But, might I suggest checking online for locations.

Cindy

Cindy I live 4 miles from Arbor Place Mall and 8 years ago when it was built it was considered the third largest mall in GA. No Ann Taylor there.

With all the Atlanta traffic I am not going to Perimenter either. Traffic is bad enough just going the 4 pitiful miles to Arbor Place. Occasionially we will go to the Mall of Ga on a Sat. Is there one there?

I would love to look in an Ann Taylor and see what all is there just because of all the posts on Ann Taylor that are here.

quote]

I lived in Atlanta for 4 years (Buckhead), and I'm an Ann Taylor junkie. There is one at Mall of Georgia, Lenox, Phipps, Cobb Center, North Point, Perimeter, Atlantic Station, Forum in Norcross, etc. Plenty in Atlanta. Ann Taylor Lofts can be found in most of these locations, including Mall of Georgia (Lofts are trendier with lower prices). And as someone else mentioned, there is a factory store at the GA 400 outlets in Dawsonville. The factory store has many of the same things that were in Ann Taylor the previous year (or current year), but are made less expensively. For example, I bought a cashmere sweater from the factory store, and a cashmere sweater from Ann Taylor. While the one from the factory store is nice, the cashmere from Ann Taylor is thicker and more tightly woven.

Well my hubby likes to go to the Mall of Georgia from time to time-he likes that 3 D movie theatre. Next time he goes there I will go and check out the Ann Taylor.

Everywhere else you mentioned is just horrible traffic I would have to drive through to get to-same goes for Mall of Ga but hubby is willing to drive there.

Ladies,

Let me help you with a guy's perspective. It does not matter if you are in your 20's, 30', 40's or 50's...if you look like you were poured into your jeans, you will look good, I recently saw a movie that had Dyan Cannon in it and I did not realize that she had reached the age of 70...she looked very sexy in her tight fitting jeans in the movie...so ladies...regardles of your age just pour yourself into a pair of blue jeans and the guys or you guy will love you for it!

Baggy jeans on a woman or on a guy especially in the butt are not a good thing!

Mark:cool:

Just curious, Mark - do you find poured-on jeans attractive on a "plus size" woman as well? I'm a little "fluffy" and feel ridiculous (not to mention uncomfortable) if my jeans fit that snugly. Now, I agree that baggy jeans aren't that attractive, but I don't think it would be attractive to anyone if every little (or not so little) bulge is obvious in the jeans....

Oh, and BTW, everyone else - I've had good luck at Dress Barn with their Westport stretch jeans, and they have them in all 3 departments (regular, woman, and petite).

Yep, I read that tip about 20 years ago and it does work! and more affordable then drycleaning-but still if I paid over $100 for a pair fo jeans I would dryclean them to make them last. Unless I wash the same pair of jeans 6 times in 2 weeks so they won't be too big!

Along with washing them inside out in cold water on the gentle cycle, never ever put them in the dryer.

Just curious, Mark - do you find poured-on jeans attractive on a "plus size" woman as well? I'm a little "fluffy" and feel ridiculous (not to mention uncomfortable) if my jeans fit that snugly. Now, I agree that baggy jeans aren't that attractive, but I don't think it would be attractive to anyone if every little (or not so little) bulge is obvious in the jeans....

Oh, and BTW, everyone else - I've had good luck at Dress Barn with their Westport stretch jeans, and they have them in all 3 departments (regular, woman, and petite).

Also, what Mark has not thought of is- probally this 70 year old actress has had her mid section LYPOED-so there is more then 6 inches differance in her waist and hips-so no wonder she still looks good in jeans-she still has the younger woman's small waist.

But I do agree with Mark, nothing looks worse then an older woman wearing baggy butt jeans-I also don't like that on the teenage boys! but they seem to think they look good that way!

That is why I am so happy to find a pair of jeans with enough lycra or spandex that it has "memory" to work with my body.

One thing to about the GV jeans is they also have about 25% polyester and 93 % cotton-so maybe a little polyester helps too with the stretching out part and helps them keep their shape on me.

I am guessing that though-but I know 25 years ago jeans were 100% cotton (no lycra or spandex) and they would stretch out and I would always have to wash them before they really needed it to shrink them back to fit.

I think there are 3 primary fabric blends in denim these days - though the percentages will vary in the blends.

1. 100% cotton jeans will stretch and not recover so they must be washed more frequently. Sometimes getting the correct size is difficult, and you usually have to size up 1.

2/ Cotton/polyester blend jeans will only stretch slightly to not at all. They hold their shape nicely, but if they don't fit off the rack, they probably aren't going to fit at all.

3. Cotton with spandex/lycra/elastarell will stretch and conform to your body. Jeans with this blend will recover their shape between wearings without being washed, though how much depends on fabric quality, lower quality jeans will require more frequent washings as their recovery is poor. Generally these should be purchased to fit slightly small so that you don't end up with any undesired bagginess.

Obviously there are other combinations out there, but these are what I see most frequently.

One thing to about the GV jeans is they also have about 25% polyester and 93 % cotton-so maybe a little polyester helps too with the stretching out part and helps them keep their shape on me.

typo or brainfart! (probally brainfart this time!) 73% cotton not 93%!

I think there are 3 primary fabric blends in denim these days - though the percentages will vary in the blends.

1. 100% cotton jeans will stretch and not recover so they must be washed more frequently. Sometimes getting the correct size is difficult, and you usually have to size up 1.

2/ Cotton/polyester blend jeans will only stretch slightly to not at all. They hold their shape nicely, but if they don't fit off the rack, they probably aren't going to fit at all.

3. Cotton with spandex/lycra/elastarell will stretch and conform to your body. Jeans with this blend will recover their shape between wearings without being washed, though how much depends on fabric quality, lower quality jeans will require more frequent washings as their recovery is poor. Generally these should be purchased to fit slightly small so that you don't end up with any undesired bagginess.

Obviously there are other combinations out there, but these are what I see most frequently.

Well the GV keep fitting. I only wash them to clean them and NO baggy butt or falling off my hips!

You know this reminds me of the other thread where KS said she liked the lycra/ acetate/ polyester blend of travel knits over the acetate/spandex.

Maybe a little polyester is not a bad thing. As long as it is just a little.

My favorite right now is Gap Long and Lean. They come up high enough, but not too high and make your butt look great.

I can't tell you how many pairs of jeans I have and not wear! (my husband doesn't even know). I'm addicted to finding the perfect jeans.

My favorite right now is Gap Long and Lean. They come up high enough, but not too high and make your butt look great.

I can't tell you how many pairs of jeans I have and not wear! (my husband doesn't even know). I'm addicted to finding the perfect jeans.

Donate those that don't work ( I always get a receipt for taxes-so at least I feel that I haven't thrown away all my money) and when you find the perfect pair buy multiples.

I don't know if there is a "perfect" pair for me...just depends on where I'm going as to the look I want...

I have 10 pair of blue:

1 pr Tommy bootcut - old and soft...my first pair after I lost weight!

2 pair Tommy boyfriend - a 6, and also a 4 - for those "skinny" days! ;)

1 pair Tommy classic bootcut

1 pair of Jag (stretchy fit - my boyfriend loves these :rolleyes: )

1 pair CK bootcut

4 pair of American Eagle hipsters - 2 in REG length and 2 in LONG (these are without a doubt my favorite everyday jeans - so so comfortable!)

2 white (Gap and don't know who makes the others)

and 2 pair of black - 1 Jag and 1 Gap

Yep. I wear them all. :o

Do most people wear their jeans so many times between washings? Mine go into the dirty clothes hamper after wearing them once, the same as all other pieces of clothing. I am a germophobe and tend to be pretty clean so maybe my opinion is a little off, but you really wear your jeans 4 times before washing them?

I wash an unbelievable amount of jeans every week. Both my husband and I could not wear our jeans twice if we wear them to work. If we wear them on a casual day off, then yes we'll wear them more than once.

I have 2 teens and teens don't understand what hangers are made for. It's much easier for them to just throw them into the hamper instead.

Not to self: The kids need their own hampers in their own bedrooms and we must teach them to do their own laundry. I've had this note posted in my brain for several years now :rolleyes:

I wash an unbelievable amount of jeans every week. Both my husband and I could not wear our jeans twice if we wear them to work. If we wear them on a casual day off, then yes we'll wear them more than once.

I have 2 teens and teens don't understand what hangers are made for. It's much easier for them to just throw them into the hamper instead.

Not to self: The kids need their own hampers in their own bedrooms and we must teach them to do their own laundry. I've had this note posted in my brain for several years now :rolleyes:

KS, this how I solved that problem when my duaghter was a teen. Since she would throw clean things in the laundry-(sometimes just something she started to wear and changed her mind and she was too lazy to hang it back up so it went into the hamper)-is I STOPPED doing her laundry-in our home that was simple-as she has her own bathroom and hamper-I told her she was responsible for her own laundry, including her bath towels.

Once she started doing the work for herself- her attitude changed-she did not want to make more work for herself-even though it was okay to make more work for mom. LOL!

I am a plus size. I found the most divine jeans at Ashley Stewart. They were an 18 SHORT. They had a dark wash that was almost black and then a dark blue wash. I love my jeans. The almost black ones are permissible for me on casual Fridays at work.

Being the "big girl" at work I don't get that many compliments on my clothes, but everyone compliments me when I wear these jeans. I LOVE them.

BTW, Ashley Stewart has started carrying down to size 12. If you have an AS where you live, I would try them.

Sure Mark, if you are poured into a nice straight glass that goes straight up and down. There are a few of us who might look like we were poured into a wine glass. The "junk in the trunk" sometimes moves to the "hood" too. LOL So I would just DIE if I looked like I had been poured into my jeans. I would probably hear a few mooing noises coming my way as well.

I remember a college friend of mine said "There's nothing worse than a fat chick in jeans." I am very particular about my jeans. I am not poured into them but I don't want them TOO baggy either.

Sure Mark, if you are poured into a nice straight glass that goes straight up and down. There are a few of us who might look like we were poured into a wine glass. The "junk in the trunk" sometimes moves to the "hood" too. LOL So I would just DIE if I looked like I had been poured into my jeans. I would probably hear a few mooing noises coming my way as well.

I remember a college friend of mine said "There's nothing worse than a fat chick in jeans." I am very particular about my jeans. I am not poured into them but I don't want them TOO baggy either.

As I told Mark, that 70 year old actress no longer had "junk in the trunk" and had probally had the "hood" lypoed. So ofcourse she looked good!

Soon to be 44 and 6' tall. The ONLY jeans I have ever found that fit are LUCKY BRAND Sundowners. They even do a 36" inseam that is to long for me!!! If you can zip them up, they are the right size. You usually buy one size smaller than normal. Love the Lucky!

http://www.amazon.com/Misses-Gloria-Vanderbilt-Amanda-Stretch/dp/B00021Q2K4

Amazon.com carries your Amanda Gloria-Vanderbilt jeans.:cool:

I decided to go and look at their site because of this discussion here as I wanted to see the reviews and I found that the older women liked them and the younger women didn't. I do believe this jean was made with the older's woman's shape in mind.

Archived