Curly Hair and Stateroom Hair Dryers

Don't know if anybody will have some advice for me on this.....

I've got curly hair and tend to use a diffuser on my blow dryer. I'm not sure whether to take my blow dryer or not. What are the dryers like in the staterooms? Do they blow strongly? I would rather travel without it, but I think that I might be frustrated without my diffuser. Any curly haired women out there know what I'm talking about?

The dryers in the cabins are like dryers in hotel rooms, so if those work for you, by all means use them. I also have curly hair (and thick), and I don't like the built-in dryers; I find them underpowered. You'll probably want to bring your own; look for a good travel-size dryer if you can.

You should also be aware that, depending on where you're cruising, your hair isn't going to be as cooperative as it is at home. If you're in the tropics.... well, I don't have to tell you what humidity does to curly hair. Add to that the wind you'll be exposed to on-deck. Just understand that your locks are going to be more "natural" than usual.

The way I handled it was: I did my normal drying routine, but used more of my definer than usual. Then, during the day, whenever I was at a sink, I'd wet my hands and do a bit of "renewal scrunching." That combined with an attitude of "I have Caribbean hair this week!" got me through just fine.

The hair dryers are not always the "built-in" type. On Brilliance and Serenade they are "free-standing" and usually stored in a drawer in the vanity. Maybe you could use your diffuser on this type. I have short, thin, poker straight hair, so I am probably not the best one to answer this for you!!! Good Luck!

I have thick curly hair that I typically straighten, except when I'm in the Caribbean LOL I think it depends on what you're used to at home. I use to use a blow dryer from target that wasn't super great even though it claimed to be a 1875, then I bit the bullet and switced to a salono dryer and will never go back. You will need your diffuser, so if you think it will onlly fit on your dryer then bring it. I also use a diffuser if I go curly, but I found this mesh sock thing that I use for traveling so I don't have to pack the big huge diffuser. You can get them at beauty supply stores for about six bucks.

I found this mesh sock thing that I use for traveling so I don't have to pack the big huge diffuser. You can get them at beauty supply stores for about six bucks.

I found this at Sally Beauty Supply (I think they have stores everywhere!) for $4. I also have long, curly hair. I'm not crazy about the in-room hairdryer, but I'm even more unhappy about packing my hairdryer and diffuser. The 'sock' is super easy to pack and I'm satisfied with how my hair looks. Plus, I can pack it in my carry-on - no worries about my spendy dryer being lost or broken if something happens to my luggage! Good luck!:)

I also have very curly unruly hair,and use a flat iron to straighten it. Chi Iron is amazing! However, I rarely use my blow dryer while on a cruise. I put my Sabastian gel conditioner, and Grip in scrunch it a little, and leave it alone. Gip is a wonderful product. It holds the curl without being brittle, or frizzing. Does very well in the wind too. After my evening shower, I will use my blow dryer with diffuser,add the same products then smooth it out with the chi iron. As an earlier poster suggested, I wouldn't go back outside before dinner and the show. Hope you are able to find something that works for you. My first cruise, I tried so hard to keep my locks in order. It was wasted effort. Now, I just go with the flow. I'm much to busy having fun to worry about my hair. Besides, that's what pony tail holders are for:D Good luck, and happy sails!

I bring my own hairdryer/diffuser. I tried my diffuser on the stateroom hairdryer on my last cruise, but it didn't fit. So, even though it takes up a lot of suitcase room, I just feel better with my own. :)

I also use the hot sock instead of a full size diffuser and it works quite well. I use a Sharper Image travel dryer that works very well and takes up about half the space of my full size dryer. I have given up on the ship's dryers because they are inconsistent in type and quality.

I also have long curly hair!! :( I have never liked the curls, so I dry it straight!!

My first cruise I took my dryer......but they had one on the ship and from then on out I leave mine at home.

I like the ship dryers, better than the one I have at home, as my hair almost always looks better on the ship than at home. Although living in Orlando, we have humidity 24/7.

Icanflossu: what is a salono dryer......this may be just what I need!!

But as others have said if you use a diffuser, you may just want to bring yours. Or find a travel sized one that your diffuser fits. Then again, I'ld go to Sally's and buy the sock!!

I guess I wasn't much help :eek:

Definitely bring your own--get a small lightweight strong one to pack--you can then plug iti n where you want it--not all ship bd dryers are that good--esp for curly hair which is worse at sea! (no matter what I do!)

Thank you all for your advice. Now I know that I'd better take my own dryer. I'm going to shop around for a smaller one first....but I'd better not chance it with the in room dryers.

I completely relate to the humidity problem....I like having straight bangs as you can see from my picture. When my hair is exposed to humidity, my bangs go every which way but the correct way and I hate that. I'm definitely going to stay off the deck of the ship at times when I want to keep my hair tame.

If I stay inside, will my hair be affected or is the a/c in the ship enough to keep the Caribbean weather from making my hair a wild mess?

If I stay inside, will my hair be affected or is the a/c in the ship enough to keep the Caribbean weather from making my hair a wild mess?

You'll be fine inside. When you're inside the ship, you wouldn't even know that you're not on land! It feels like a regular building! :)

I also have very thick, curly hair and I have found controlling it on the 3 cruises I've been on to be a challenge. IMHO, the hair dryers on RCI are lacking for my hair, so I would bring my own if I were you. I also have a CHI straightening iron, and it works wonders on bangs or other sections you want to straighten. I use Kenra straightening serum before I iron my hair and it seems to seal it pretty well so I don't have a lot of problems with frizz, even when out in the "elements". But as the other poster said, enjoy your cruise and don't worry about your hair!

Archived